Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Cystitis

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Cystitis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi everyone, i think ollie has cystitis again, do i need to get him antibiotics or can i help him another way? He had me up 3 times in the night and had 2 accidents in the bedroom! Is ok in himself and not struggling to go yet. X

kizkiznobite

been a bit of the loop so direct to previous thread or fill me in hils…

and my advice from before still stands

in the meantime before bev gets onto it – lots of nice water 🙂 

and if you dont have any pop and get some potassium citrate before the chemists shut – dont say its for the dog if they ask tho – you get a really funny look !!!! 🙂

claire x

Val

I think the vet needs to test this lad and see if he has crystals or stones he should not be getting cystitis at his age and definatly not two lots
    Val

kizkiznobite

mmm..now i know you dont need this at the moment hils but…

male dogs rarely get ‘cystitis’ as such..they got a longer tract so to speak and so infection flushes out faster/easier…

so…if this is a recurring prob then i would be thinking other stuff…like stones etc…

if he was mine i would test the urine now with a dip stick…and then i would flush with potassium citrate and then test again…then i would go to vets with both results…but my vet dont do auto anti bi’s…but what i would be looking for is infection…as in ascending/ascended or other clinisal stuff like stones which may have added in DEscending infection due to scarring etc

if vet says anti bi’s but you dont want you can use a naturasl anti bi like olive vine leaf and flush with mitpotcit…my instinct (val what is yours) is this is not infection in itself like cystitis because then there is discomfort and constant urge…this more like can’t hold and no time to ask because off xyz….and because he male…

hugs from aunty bev to the handsome smoothie xxxx

kizkiznobite

VAL….. ;D ::)

great minds and all that…you posted while i posting…again…,,. ;D

sorry hils…we do this …it that over 100 years thing  ;D

Anonymous

Thanks
    He does have a really bad habit of holding his wee wee, we have it on cue so i can make him go. He drank a whole bowl of water yesterday when I got home from leaving him for 4 hrs, he wont drink unless I’m there. So could it be the effects of that? his wee on the floor was really clear and no colour and hasnt stained the carpet. He is weeing ok today, just don’t want it to get to the stage where he is straining. I’ll go to the chemist and get some pot. cit. apparently there are loads of dogs around here with cystitis and they keep passing it around….i didnt even realise it was contagious!

kizkiznobite

and claire too  ;D

kizkiznobite

cystitis is not contagious…it a generic term for a syptom to something else…and even if that something else infection the dog would have to be around an infected wee while it still wet…and the bug ratio would have to be real high..it then got to reach the tract system..then kick in etc…so….this not a neighbour dog has thing me thinks…

Anonymous

How do i test with a dip stick? they did two tests last time and said it wasnt an infection high up. Last test showed normal.

kizkiznobite

what tests did they do..what was they testing for…what was the ph iof the urine…that bit you can yourself….was the ‘no infection’ based on the ph value or did they test for infection per se…

i can do a urine test with a dipper…real testing takes a bit more than

Anonymous

Tested PH and blood? I’m crap when they ill! PH was high in first one and lots of blood. After ABs PH normal and trace of blood. All been fine since. can I take him tomorrow or should I go today? Can’t really afford emergency vets but if i need to I will. Should I give him the pot.cit first or get their opinion? he is fine in himself.

kizkiznobite

i would do as i said if he mine..test…mitpotcit ..test take tests in if iffy…lots of fluids after…

Anonymous

but how do i test? I dont have dippers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime