Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

DCM Update 2/12

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health DCM Update 2/12

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

okay. Dilated Cardio Mylopathy, have been asked again If I would let Dex be tested for this, there is a vets in Caterham that the does the testing,  They are trying to find out which dogs it will affect and which it wont if thats possible :-\  Having lost all my Dobes (all unrelated)  to this I suppose it would be good to know in advanced, but then would I really want to know that :-\ Dont know what to do ???  I understand they have a course of tablets but thats all I know at the moment, any burning questions you can think of I should ask, I’m sure some of you know more about this than me. Thanks in advance :-*

off to ringcraft will check back later 🙂

Anonymous

Go for it Jay Dilated Cardiomyopathy is the curse of all Dobie owners and boxer owners they suffer from DCM more than any other breeds but cockers are not far behind I know a lot of work is going on at the moment much better to be part of it than doing an ostrich act if you take part and doG forbid something is wrong at least you will be at the forefront of the new treatments and you will be taking part in something for the future of the breed you love
    Val

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=9692.msg179748#msg179748 date=1192473430]
    okay. Dilated Cardio Mylopathy, have been asked again If I would let Dex be tested for this, there is a vets in Caterham that the does the testing,  They are trying to find out which dogs it will affect and which it wont if thats possible :-\  Having lost all my Dobes (all unrelated)  to this I suppose it would be good to know in advanced, but then would I really want to know that :-\ Dont know what to do ???  I understand they have a course of tablets but thats all I know at the moment, any burning questions you can think of I should ask, I’m sure some of you know more about this than me. Thanks in advance :-*

off to ringcraft will check back later 🙂
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Thanks Val  :-* will give them a call tomorrow

xtine

what is it?  :-\

Anonymous

Can be 1 0f 2 things really, either sudden heart failure or congestive heart failure. 1st one basically heart attack and drop dead, no warnings or 2nd , the heart starts to get weak and then it gets bigger, then you get the ‘cough’ fluid on the lungs and they have trouble breathing, lose weight and eventually die :'(
    There is treatment nowadays but basically you are jusr prolonging life for about 3-5 months if your lucky. Max died from this when he was 5 :'(, Aston was 7 :'( and Jay was 12  :'( so its not really an old dog thing either. I read once that in the US 10,000 Dobes die from DCM  yearly :o.

*Nat*

I’ve just called my vet about this and apparently the vetinary hospital in Maidstone do the tests. Also the VN I spoke to has a Dobe and it’s something in the back of her mind – she says the drugs company are doing clinical trials and she is going to find out a bit more about it all and let me know!

kk_xing

i say go for it the more you can help the better 🙂

*Nat*

VN just called me back and said the clinical trial involves ultra sounds scans where they can see the thickness of the heart! They then provide drugs if anything shows up. All this is free of charge. They take dogs from the age of 5 for this trial so its definately something I’d look into once Piper is 5. All done in Canterbury so not far for me either.  🙂 VN is sending me all the details and info she has on it.

*Lassie*

They were looking for dogs in my area in the summer for the same reason, from what I read they will check out the dog and if they suspect it will develop the DCM they will treat it, think it runs for at least a couple of years

Anonymous

Jay is this the study taking place on behalf of the Dobie breed council and the Canadians or is it still the one at Liverpool
    Val

Anonymous

Not sure Val will ask when I go, spoke to the cardiologist today, basically I take Dex down and they do a free heart evaluation, and some bloodwork, if they find early evidence of DCM they ask if I want to enrol him on the scheme.  They have 2 groups one group one Vetmedin and another Placebo, if any symptoms appear dogs are given treatment straight away.  She says  the heart can take 2 – 4 years to enlarge so catching it early will hopefully prolong the symptom free stage.  I’m just waiting for a call from the Vet Hospital for an appointment, hopefully I can take him next week during half term. She said she will talk more and give me some info when I go. 🙂

*Nat*

Well worth it I think Sue – hope it all goes well for him –  :-* to the handsome boy  :-* Sounds like the same scheme my vet was talking about earlier – Piper’s not 5 until November next year so will keep it in mind for then.  🙂

Anonymous

Got an appointment on 1st Nov, nearest to me is Caterham, but its only 50 mins not too bad 🙂

Anonymous

Good Luck

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=9692.msg180190#msg180190 date=1192551008]
    Got an appointment on 1st Nov, nearest to me is Caterham, but its only 50 mins not too bad 🙂
    [/quote]

.dodger.

thats great! good to get things checked just incase!  ;D hope everything goes will for the two of you!  :-* ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime