Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

DCM Update 2/12

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health DCM Update 2/12

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • Author
    .dodger.

so sorry to hear this Sue not the results you were hoping for  🙁 :-*
    dex is gorgeous and looks fab in his t-shirt  😀 :-*

Bless him wearing that – has he been good wearing it Sue ?  :-*

Anonymous

Brilliant Suz, i thought it looked a bit uncomfortable, but it doesnt seemed to have bothered him at all. Have just taken it off so he’s t-shirt amd monitor  free now ;D, manky old thing it was, still had Deerhound hair on it from the previous wearer (quite alot of them get it too) and Boxers and an increasing number of Great Danes 🙁

If anyone wants more info I’m happy to help, just ask 🙂

as Val said we dont want to end up like the US, with hundreds if not thousands of dogs dying each year,  the more research that is done now the better  for these gorgeous dogs, it will only help Dex a bit now but I’m pleased that he will be helping Dobes in the future.

They are actually looking at pedigrees too, to see if its common in any particular line, this will prob take a few years yet, but onwards and upwards 🙂

*Nat*

Bless him  :-*

I hope the research will still be going on this time next year as Piper will be 5 then and I will get involved too  🙂

Anonymous

Val  any truth in this…

Herbs like Hawthorne berry, flower and leaf, Motherwort, Cactus Grandiflorus, Cayenne Pepper, Ginger and Red Clover have been healing and protecting people’s and animal’s hearts for centuries. These herbs not only protect the heart from future damage they can alleviate heart murmurs, regulate heart beats, build the heart’s muscle and valves and restore proper circulation.

Dex’s breeder was talking to her vet, he said it doesnt have to be DCM there are other heart diseases, well I’ve google’d and all that comes up is DCM. ???
    He also said the vets doing this research get £1500.00 per dog that comes on the trial, would that be for the medicine, I presume so, as the advert for the trial says..

The screening process will be free of charge, although participants will be asked to make a voluntary donation towards the programme.  (I havent been asked)  yet!

He said I need to be careful cos I wont know what they are giving him, it might cause him more damage, then are the side affects, what if something goes wrong ::)
    Do you think he doesnt want me to do it ::)

*Nat*

Sue have they actually said whether there are any possible side effects from the drugs?

Anonymous

No, but  as with any drugs if side affects occur you would tell the doctor, so I would need to keep an eye on him for any changes in urine colour, poo, stamina etc. Basically he will be a guinea pig I suppose :-\

The vet has just phoned and said all his bloods are fine, thyroid, kidney, liver, protein and the monitor he was wearing only recorded 5 abnormal heart beats in 24 hours which is excellent in a dog his age, so he is a low risk of sudden death!! good news ;D
    They are sending the tablets to me next week, once I get them and have started him on them, they phone and make a 1 month appt to check him over.

*Nat*

Glad the results are all good – that’s brill news  :-* Phew  ;D

Anonymous

In my position what would you do? 

Sue if you dont do the trial thing what will you do – is there anything your vet will give Dexter?

Glad all his tests etc came back good thats great news  :-*

Anonymous

Pleased to read the lads bloods are OK

Yes these Herbs are all used in the heart but not all at once if you wanted to go up this road and you want help you will have to give me a shout so that I can get my head back in the books.

I am shocked at your vet attitude on this work most research work is carried out in the universities (mainly but not wholly in the six university veterinary schools) and in specialized research establishments.  Their work is complemented by that of the Animal Health Trust, a charitable body, which concentrates on horses and small companion
    Government funding for research comes from the Higher Education Funding Councils, BBSRC, MAFF and the Scottish Office. Charitable funding comes from the Wellcome Trust and from private benefactions through the Animal Health Trust breeders pet plan and a range of other organizations concerned with animal welfare.
    And before anyone jumps on me there are others the horsey lot and farm animals.
    There is some funding from industry and commerce, not only the pharmaceutical companies.

Total identifiable spending on research into animal health and welfare in Great Britain in the public sector and the universities is £60m – £70m a year this inculdes horses and farm animals which is like a pee in the snow does your vet really think there a 15 grand a year spare to pay for this  never mind per dog most of the research is done by veterinary graduates and some vets taking time out and some overseas both grads and vets.
    Next time you go Jay ask who is doing the funding they won’t mine anyone that shows interest is a good way to go as you will pass the info on to others,.
    I have had to do some self control repying as I am really cross with your vets outlook is he thinking of monies missed with Dex stays well and doesn’t have to keep going to him.  GGGGrrrrrr
    As I always say Knowledge is Power your vet is just playing ostrich I am all right Jack games
    Val

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=9692.msg185693#msg185693 date=1194452229]
    Val   any truth in this…

Herbs like Hawthorne berry, flower and leaf, Motherwort, Cactus Grandiflorus, Cayenne Pepper, Ginger and Red Clover have been healing and protecting people’s and animal’s hearts for centuries. These herbs not only protect the heart from future damage they can alleviate heart murmurs, regulate heart beats, build the heart’s muscle and valves and restore proper circulation.

Dex’s breeder was talking to her vet, he said it doesnt have to be DCM there are other heart diseases, well I’ve google’d and all that comes up is DCM. ???
    He also said the vets doing this research get £1500.00 per dog that comes on the trial, would that be for the medicine, I presume so, as the advert for the trial says..

The screening process will be free of charge, although participants will be asked to make a voluntary donation towards the programme.  (I havent been asked)  yet!

He said I need to be careful cos I wont know what they are giving him, it might cause him more damage, then are the side affects, what if something goes wrong ::)
    Do you think he doesnt want me to do it ::)
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Not my Vet :o. my vet is fab (Mr Simpson)  :-* he knows all about DCM, he looked after my old Jay, really sad when he went he was 🙁 this was Dex’s breeders vet in Canterbury. Might print this off and send it to him, with your permission 🙂

xtine

Glad his blood test results were good Sue  :-*

Anonymous

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=9692.msg185784#msg185784 date=1194461099]
    Sue if you dont do the trial thing what will you do – is there anything your vet will give Dexter?

Glad all his tests etc came back good thats great news  :-*
    [/quote]
    [quote author=xtine link=topic=9692.msg185931#msg185931 date=1194475899]
    Glad his blood test results were good Sue  :-*
    [/quote]

🙂 🙂

Nothing Suz, not until he gets the symptoms, could be this year could be a couple of years, this is what the trial is for, basically theres no cure :(, they can just prolong the symptom free stages, I am going ahead with the pills, despite what that vet said, If there are side affects then they stop, simple as that, I cant help Dex, but I can help all his pups, and their pups and probably Kodi too, though I have to say of all the dobes I know that have died of this disease they have all been boys!.

*Nat*

Glad you’re going ahead with the tablets – if they help then great if not then at least you know you’ve done what you can – hats off to you Sue and (((hugs)))  :-*  :-*

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 132 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime