Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Diesel I have a fishy Q?

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Diesel I have a fishy Q?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

my pineapple swordtail has just given birth although i dont know how she got pregnant as i dont have a male swordtail :suspious:
    i have managed to get most of the babbies into a seperate container in the tank but i dont know what i should be feeding them, can you help me please?

how long have you had the fish – got any other fish?

I think they just eat flake foodย  ๐Ÿ™‚

How can a mummy fish have babies without a daddy fish?!ย  :confused:ย  :whistle:

ive had the pineapple swordtail since sept and i did have a male with her but he died in oct, the only other fish i have in the tank are 2 x scissortails and a pleq so i think the babbies might be crossbreeds :blindfold:

i thought they might eat flaked food but thought i would ask just in case ;D

.dodger.

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ i was thinking just that Anna – forget puggles and labradoodles bring on the crossbred fish :yes: >:D

๐Ÿ˜€ย  ;D ahh that explains it!
    [quote author=.dodger. link=topic=13953.msg264221#msg264221 date=1237757658]
    ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ i was thinking just that Anna – forget puggles and labradoodles bring on the crossbred fish :yes: >:D
    [/quote]

glad i wasnt the only oneย  ;D

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ very good laura ;D

kizkiznobite

as diesel not about i will answer….but…def something fishy going on hereย  ;D….swordtails are live bearers and have fry scissortails are egg layers …guess she was preggy before the male died…though i think normal gestation is 6 weeks….have you got them in an isolation box…and yes they eat flake food…the mums often die after breeding so if she showing stress i would isolate her too…they the first fish i ever bred…
    plecos are hard to breed…they need a ‘cave’ also egg layers though and the male is very protective and they need peace and isolation to hatch the egs as well as water control and constant monitoring of the water acidity…

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ love the fish punn

i wasnt intending to breed fish so i dont have the proper kit, however the babies are in a makeshift isolation pen made from a butter pot. the mothers fine, the only time she goes off on one is if shes found a baby then she will chase it. i didnt know pleqs required so much to breed, i only have one pleq so unless that one is a miracle fish aswell ๐Ÿ˜€ i dont think i will get babbies from it.

how long do the babbies take to grow?

You are amazing Bev ;D first your knowledge on dogs and now your knowledge on fish ;D

kizkiznobite

she chasing so she can eat itย  :hungry:

for a couple of quid you can get a small plastic isolation box that allows the water to filter through…they need oxygenated water and water filtered light…constantly …or they wont survive…how many babies have you rescued…they will grow fairly fast in a couple of months they will look like young adults but the males take ages to mature into full males…it used be be thought that femals changed sex but is now accepted this doesnt happen …just slow maturing males

i grew up with tropical fish…dad was a breeder and shower of angels, gouramis and cats/plecos but kept most types at some point…i have a huge tank and up to a couple of years ago i always had trops but we went on hols and the heater element blew and son didnt noticeย  ::) lost 40 odd fish…now i keep cold water fish

kizkiznobite

this is the sort of thing you need…

Attachments:

she had eight babies when i first noticed them but ive only been able to rescue 4 of them although i am still keeping an eye on the tank incase they are hiding.

i get paid tomorow so will pop into P@H and pick one up, they should be ok until then shouldnt they?

kizkiznobite

bless..the others prob got munched….average is about 70 but can have upto 100….you will have to keep changing the water in the butter tub with water from the tank…what air/filter system have you got…is it fairly powerful?…or is it a gravel filter system?

the babbies are still alive ;D ;D for some reason this didnt show in my unread bit

ive now got a breeding pen for them instead of a butter pot ๐Ÿ˜€

the filter system is a standered filter nothing fancy and not overly powerfull but its only a little tank so it does the job, iย  think

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees โ€“ ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime