Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Diesel I have a fishy Q?

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Diesel I have a fishy Q?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73

[quote author=dogloverwoooo! link=topic=13953.msg264219#msg264219 date=1237757430]
    How can a mummy fish have babies without a daddy fish?!  :confused:  :whistle:
    [/quote]
    Yes they can  :yes: , see female lifebearers can hold sperm internally from 1 mating up to 3- 4 even 5 months if you got a good male 😉 .

Bev, i never isolate the youngens nore the mothers, but i got well planted tanks. So i breed like ànd leave it to, nature. But i breed per breedstraign, not selective 1;1.  😉
    Those that are the fastest and strongest will survive. But one good female that is fully grown can give birth to up 80 even babies per month as Bev already said too. And usually about more than half of them survive to grow big if you got well planted tank.

Some lifebearers can crossbreed if the belong to the same family. For example guppy x endler. But with pleco they will not as Bev explained.

quote :

the mothers fine, the only time she goes off on one is if shes found a baby then she will chase it.

She will eat it. Ever fed your fish waterflees? When the babies are born they look exactly like waterflees  :-\ . The babies that are to slow yet bold enough get eaten.

I feed babyfish the same flake as grown fish but i first feed bigger fish and grind the last flakes between my fingers to vèry tiny flakes. The big fish will go for the bigger flakes and the tiny ones will are left for the babies. The babies will eat, not worry.

quote :

how long do the babbies take to grow?

In 2-3 weeks they big enough to swim like a fish. As soon as bigger fish can identify them as such they won’t be eaten anymore. May still be chased a little but not eaten no more. But my babies stay in the tank, and if you removed them at birth they might have to wait atleast 3 weeks to put them back into your maintank. Fish have a peckingorder too.
    In 2 months you’ll have babyfish which are a small copy of the bigger adult ones. Colour, full colour won’t show until about 6 months. Dominant colours will show within weeks, sometimes even days, but brighter colours and marking can take much longer to appear. My black tuxedo’s show colour within 2 days, but my kingcobra’s and tuxedo green sunsets take much longer.

quote :

they will grow fairly fast in a couple of months they will look like young adults but the males take ages to mature into full males…it used be be thought that femals changed sex but is now accepted this doesnt happen …just slow maturing males

Yup they grow slower BUT make no mistake they can breed when they are only about half their father’s size  😉 . With gups it’s easy to see, the females got pregnancyspots right from when they are about 3 weeks to a month old. That’s when i pick out the babymales, or they’ll start breeding too soon. Sordtails and platy little more difficult to see. But all male lifebearers have pogodium. Once the pogodium is visible (about 3 months, you can pick the males from the females.  😉

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13953.msg264267#msg264267 date=1237803091]
    she had eight babies when i first noticed them but ive only been able to rescue 4 of them although i am still keeping an eye on the tank incase they are hiding.

i get paid tomorow so will pop into P@H and pick one up, they should be ok until then shouldnt they?
    [/quote]
    It is good you don’t see them. I do want to see them be born, but than i don’t want to see them for the next 2 weeks. The less i see them, the more will survive  😉 .

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13953.msg264426#msg264426 date=1237986387]
    the babbies are still alive ;D ;D for some reason this didnt show in my unread bit

ive now got a breeding pen for them instead of a butter pot 😀

the filter system is a standered filter nothing fancy and not overly powerfull but its only a little tank so it does the job, i  think
    [/quote]
    I find Carbon bio filters are the best. They filter the nitrite and harmfull water elements.
    I always go for stronger filter than tank needs, no tankwater can be to much clean.

Kerrie? What Lnumber Pleco you got? Male or female?

??? ??? sorry but i have no idea what you mean 😀

Diesel73

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13953.msg264625#msg264625 date=1238159015]

??? ??? sorry but i have no idea what you mean 😀
    [/quote]
    Almost every pleco has a name and corresponding pleco identification number. Unlike mine, she a Hypostomus Plecostomus. Others got a L number. Like L022 the Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus or gold spot pleco  😉 .

uuurrrrmmmm ???

its a brown one with brown patchs and a big sailfin, sailfin pleq i think its called 😀

Diesel73

Than her number is either L083 or L165  😉 .

You must have a tank i would die for. Sailfin pleco (glyptoperichthys gibbiceps/ancistrus gibbiceps) needs a 550-600 Liter tank  :surprise: . They fully grown 40-50 centimeters and livespan is 25 even up to 35 years. Whàt a fish  :yes: .

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=13953.msg264840#msg264840 date=1238353620]

You must have a tank i would die for. Sailfin pleco (glyptoperichthys gibbiceps/ancistrus gibbiceps) needs a 550-600 Liter tank  :surprise: . They fully grown 40-50 centimeters and livespan is 25 even up to 35 years. Whàt a fish  :yes: .

[/quote]

man i wish i had a tank like that but no its only a 60litre tank, perhaps its not a sailfin then ??? i realy have no idea, im sure the petshop said it was a sailfin :-\

*Lassie*

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13953.msg264853#msg264853 date=1238356054]
    [quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=13953.msg264840#msg264840 date=1238353620]

[/quote]

man i wish i had a tank like that but no its only a 60litre tank, perhaps its not a sailfin then ??? i realy have no idea, im sure the petshop said it was a sailfin :-\
    [/quote]

Kerrie can you take a photo of it then maybe Diesel or Kiz can tell you what it is

i will try and get one tomorrow ;D

Diesel73

How big is she/he? He fully grown? If not, how old is he?
    Most ancistrus and plecos come in variaty of colours and marking. And in long fin variaty too  😉 . Very hard to see the difference when they are really small, and many are sold for a different species  ::)  .

Edit; thàt particular fish on you link is a specimen that will grow to 40-50 cm  😉 .

This a Hypostomus Plecostomus, my tigger;
    [img width=350 height=468]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/Diesel73/Afb019-1.jpg[/img]
    She still young, will grow up to 25-30cm fully grown. She needs a 250-300 liter tank.

Originaly i bought her as an Ancistrus dolichopterus L183. They grow up to 8-11 cm and looks very much, when small as good as identical, like hypostomus. Found out pret-ty fast she was NOT what i thought. This pic taken when she was not even 6 months old, only 3-4 if i remember correctly  🙂 .

ive had this one since about august but how old she/he was when i got it i dont know, its about 2-3inchs at the moment from head to tail

Diesel73

Since august, and it has grown no more? 2-3 inch… Than smaller than Ancistrus dolichopterus…. If it’s about 3-4 than it’s very probably an Ancistrus dolichopterus. Take a pic Kerrie, we need one  :yes: .

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime