Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Difficulty waking elderly dog

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Difficulty waking elderly dog

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CKSuki

Hi all, just wondered if any of you could help me with a slight problem,

Fugley, 17 year old female, is obviously old, but I just can’t wake her up in the mornings. It is fine at weekends (and today as I am off sick with horrible cold), but on days when I have to go to work, I am really struggling.

On sunday, I got up at eight, milled around, fed the dogs, let them out, did the housework and vacuumed. Fugley did not get up until 12.15pm. Yesterday, I just had to give up and go to work, and the poor girl obviously peed and pood indoors. Today, I got up at seven thirty, did all the usual stuff, and she is still curled on on the couch looking divine and peaceful.

Can anybody think of anything I coud do to help get her up in the mornings? I have tried the kissing, cuddling, removing blankets, making noise, encouraging other dogs to bark etc, but nothing seems to work. Obviously, I don’t want to do anything unkind, just kind but effective.

Any ideas welcomed.

Val

The only thing I could suggest is putting her on a lead and getting her up, as it’s not good for her to sleep on a full bowel and bladder
    Val

CKSuki

That’s a good idea Val – not one that had even occurred to me, I’ll try that tomorrow.

Thank you.

CKSuki

Hi Val, I tried it and it didn’t work.

I’m just going to let her get on with it and let her pee indoors – poor love has earned that right at least.

🙂

Val

Don’t give up better for her to move  :ok:
    Another way I used to do this with one of my old beardies that would of slept 24/7
    Collar and lead round neck and a towel round the belly and lift then walk good for the dog bad for your back LOL I did find once she has sort of tottered for a few steps she started walking especially if she could smell a bit of chicken passing under her nose
    Val

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime