Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Do dogs……? / Can dogs………?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Do dogs……? / Can dogs………?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

ok thought i would start a topic for random dog questions that i have thought of and if anyone else has thought of any. so here goes.

i know dogs can detect cancer and epilepsy but can dogs detect headaches/ migranes in people?

do dogs get migranes?

why do dogs walk in a circle before lying down?

i dont know if they get migraines, but at the kennels was a dog whos been beaten badly by a robber  :'( nearly killed her smashed her head in! Anyway she was tons better, owner said to me she still suffers with headaches though  :-\

so dogs do get headaches i didnt know that

Diesel73

Can they detect migraines  ::) ……. They sure know when I got one. If it coming up they push their boundries, if it at it’s peak they avoid me as if i got the plage  🙁 . Don’t know why  ??? .

Can they get headaches themselves?…. I really don’t know, my boys never had one, i think. Bitches might get them. Explains why the get so grumpy to the boys from time to time  :whistle: ….. Nah, just kidding, i really don’t know.  😉

*Nick*

funny, the headache question came up today….wonder if there’s any way to tell for sure?

*Nick*

here’s one;  Do dogs get bruises?  I guess they must do but Sadie must be covered in them  :hurt:

Diesel73

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=13122.msg252780#msg252780 date=1227387096]
    here’s one;  Do dogs get bruises?  I guess they must do but Sadie must be covered in them  :hurt:
    [/quote]
    Yup i think so too.  But their paintolerance is higher. So we think they heal faster, but i think they just get over it faster because they ignore the pain more than humans.

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13122.msg252770#msg252770 date=1227384628]
    so dogs do get headaches i didnt know that
    [/quote]
    I dont know….just what lady told me how true it was i dont know – but i guess if her head hurts its a result of the injurys rather than anything else?

are you all glad i started this topic now ;D for random questions 😀

the reason i asked about detection of headaches in humans was because the other day stan sat in front of me and stared at me, not his ussuaaly stroke me stare but a very intent stare. then about 5 mins later i had the start of a migrane, ive had them before so perhaps he has come to recognise the signes or something ??? :-\

*Nick*

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=13122.msg252781#msg252781 date=1227387238]
    [quote author=*Nick* link=topic=13122.msg252780#msg252780 date=1227387096]
    [/quote]
    Yup i think so too.  But their paintolerance is higher. So we think they heal faster, but i think they just get over it faster because they ignore the pain more than humans.

[/quote]

Just another example of how much we humans can learn from our dogs!  8)

Justine&Rafe

Re: dogs getting headaches – They have only recently discovered that horses can get headaches.  If anyone knows anything about the horse condition laminitis; it affects the pedal bone in a horse’s foot, causing it to drop, and them to rock back in order to avoid putting pressure on it.  ALSO they reckon the most debilitating part is the headache that goes along with it!

So if people and horses get them, pretty sure bet that dogs can, too.

I think my brother’s gerbil had a headache once – but that was the day after we revived it from near death with brandy… and my mum got a bit carried away with it. Lived for another few years after that!!

Anonymous

Hi,

turning round before lying down – i am guessing this an old old behaviour – trampling down the spot where they want to lie to make it comfy.  Bonnie spends hours arranging too lol !!

bruises – yep definately you can detect fluid buildup

headaches – yep espeically taking on humans emotions

Claire x

*Nat*

Good thread – some people have told me in the past that dogs are colour blind! Is this true?  :-\

Anonymous

Nat – the short answer is “no” they’re not completely colour blind 🙂

longer answer is – we thought they may be as there are very few of the human type colour structures (called cones) in the dogs eye.  there are more of the light/dark detectors (cones) for hunting and movement sensing all that sorta thing.

sooo …. they do see colour but not in the same way we would see it.  i think probably they see tones differently e.g. like similar tones of dk grey / red / blue / green might look very very similar but a blood red and a navy blue would look different 🙂

linkie:  http://www.uwsp.edu/PSYCH/dog/LA/DrP4.htm

claire x

Anonymous

and for the really interested / bit more sciency among us

http://www.nahranews.com/html/nahra/vision.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime