Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Do dogs……? / Can dogs………?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Do dogs……? / Can dogs………?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

that is realy interesting claire am going to read it in full later ;D

do domestic dogs remember/miss being wild?

Anonymous

hi,

gosh – this probably depends mainly on 2 things

1 – upbringing experience
    and
    2 – how domesticated the breed is (or to put it another way how raw the neotony is / how ‘wild’ that neotony for that breed was.

dogs do still live “in the wild” tho it depends on your definition.

Bonnie lived “in the wild” for some period of her young life in the context that she had to feed herself and protect herself from harm.  we call it “stray” nowadays as dogs are expected to have a home but i suspect she would have had a long and happy life in the wild – she’s a thinker, can protect herself if she needs to to a reasonable extent and plenty able to catch dinner.

however, there are still dogs born in the wild that arent people tame – i think some dingo’s still are and i am sure places where stray dogs arent regularly collected up – maybe canada ?? probably have wild dogs.

breeds like Akita and Rhodesian Ridgeback’s (just picking 2 that i know there are others) have a rawer neotony than many breeds which have been domesticated for longer.

Claire x

wags

does Meg have ANY brain cells at all ?

😀 😀 😀 dont be mean ;D

Anonymous

haha !!

i expect so – her trouble is she was only rescued by the skin of her teeth from an abusive git who’d rather murder her than be bothered with anything else 🙁

wags

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=13122.msg254225#msg254225 date=1228760877]
    😀 😀 😀 dont be mean ;D
    [/quote]

no im serious

its not being mean

theres not even a tiny glimer in there let alone a light bulb

awww shes probly saving it up ;D

Justine&Rafe

My old flattie had no brain cells.

He was known, variously thoroughout his life as Ozzie-no-brains, Ozzie-no-balls, and, when my wee little bro misheard the latter, Ozzie-no-bowels.  Poor dog!  But he was too thick to get offended!

I’ve got a question …

Can dogs excel in a number of disciplines?  I.e. heelwork to music AND tracking AND gunwork, for example?

Does reaching excellence in one discipline necessarily mean that you won’t be able to excel in another?

And, if they can, does anyone have a dog which does??

Ta!

*Nick*

Yes, a dog can excel at all those disciplines.
    However, in a gundog, if you want him to be an instinctive free thinker you have to let him ‘have his head’ so this will be different than the highly cued and regimented automatons that excel at heelwork .  There are definitely dogs that can do many things. i don’t happen to have one  :whistle:  but others do.    You can imagine the time it takes.

Anonymous

Hi,

yes they can …

there are even “sports” that combine things like flyball and agility for the real clever buggers 😀

Claire x

wags

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13122.msg254418#msg254418 date=1228909059]

Can dogs excel in a number of disciplines?  I.e. heelwork to music AND tracking AND gunwork, for example?

Does reaching excellence in one discipline necessarily mean that you won’t be able to excel in another?

[/quote]

oh god yeh its just the handler thats usually the problem

Cleo has competed in agility (mmmmmmm manic comes to mind), flyball (very nicelly) and obedience (badly actually scratch that it was me not her)

if you can put the work in then you will get the results however at the moment i cant put even a quarter of what i was putting in

Mudgie

yep Nacho excels in everything and is enthusastic about everything – it is me who cant keep up with him.

He often barks at me with frustration because I dont keep up with him  ::)  but he loves me  ;D and he continues to train me  :educated:

wags

ok heres a smart arse one and it relates to my other rather less smart arse one  😉

how important is imput on a puppy in later life meaning inteligence, ablity to learn, temprement etc wise?

what i mean is –

Oban is the biggest smart arse dog you will ever come accross he really could wipe the floor with most people and hes had so much input from both me and his breeder he has an amazing ability to learn and picks up new stuff so quickly if i had it i could spend hours teaching him stuff (although id end up covered in scratches)

Meg on the other hand had nothing until she was 18 months ish and ive met carrots with more intelligence – i simply can not train meg at all perhaps someone with more patience could but honestly sit is about the best i will ever get from her because her enthusiasm and just down right scattyness drives me nuts

*Nick*

dogs need to learn how to learn.  There was an interesting experiment done by a Russian scientist during the soviet era that tried to prove that learned behaviour could be hereditary therefore only one generation of soviets needed to be “trained” to follow the communist way. He used dogs in his experiments and the Black Russian terrier came out of this I think….obviously it was just another failed scientific experiment

what’s my point?….I forgot  :embarrass:

Anonymous

Wags
    I think it is very important have had dogs I have owned or bred that could run rings round most of my rescues Molly was the brightest rescue beardie I have ever owned she managed a little OB and some sheep herding as for the pekes the rescues have been loving but not bright the rest have run rings round me and are still running them  ;D
    Val

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime