Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Do dogs……? / Can dogs………?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Do dogs……? / Can dogs………?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

dogs are natural problem solvers…if it is developed then it increases the non directed learning ability

justine…check out sweetypye and her dogs  🙂

dogs sure do bruise…falkor had the imprint of a trainer on his back end when we rescued him…my son recognised the make from the bruise imprint

when we have a migraine on the way our body releases different chemicals…they sense this….brose always told me when i was due an attack and cubert is just starting to sense one of my cluster head attacks he also knows at what points in a cluster head cycle i lose my vision

also my eldest sister has developed a problem with her foot..cant remember what it is called p something culosis…anyway there is no outward sign…no swelling no bruising etc no topical creams or anything had been applied when we visited…. hazel had her bare feet up on a cushion and he went right to the bad foot and started massaging it with his tongue all underneath where the pain is…ignored the good foot totally

when ami has a season (rare i know  ::)) she ‘acts’ as if she has a headache…’looks’ like she has a headache…screwed up eyes, low hanging head etc

Justine&Rafe

Righto, if Rafe has patience for me we’re learning it all!!

Re: Early input and dogs’ intelligence –

Surely the way intelligence expresses itself is closely linked to the desire to express new behaviours.  In this way it would explain why a rescue dog from a hard background would be less willing/keen to express a behaviour that it was not certain of the human response to.

I know dogs whose handlers are very, well, hands on, and not in a good way.  They sit beautifully, are very quiet, and REALLY hard to teach new tricks to.  Because they have had any independent actions beaten out of them, so have learned to do nothing, or to be stoopid, as we see it, to avoid a beating.  Perhaps this behaviour becomes ingrained in some dogs, even when in a positive environment.

I’d have thought that in the majority of cases this was a more overriding factor than the input affecting the dog’s intelligence, although no doubt that would be an influencing factor in the intelligence behaviour.

Anonymous

Bev does your sis have this:  http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068803/

Is only thing can thing of that sounds likely? Someone I know has it (Plantar Fasciitis) and says is agony…

wags

xxpsychexx you need to meet meg to actually get a concept of what i mean

Justine&Rafe

wags – I am already imagining her incredibly simple/dopey smile!
    Our old flattie was like that.  He wasn’t misunderstood.  He was thick.  You could hide behind a curtain, even with your legs showing out underneath, and he wouldn’t be able to find you.  I bet Meg is an absolute sweetheart though!

kizkiznobite

yep widget thats the one…she says it is very painful esp at night

[quote author=xxpsychexx link=topic=13122.msg254541#msg254541 date=1229012967]
    wags – I am already imagining her incredibly simple/dopey smile!
    Our old flattie was like that.  He wasn’t misunderstood.  He was thick.  You could hide behind a curtain, even with your legs showing out underneath, and he wouldn’t be able to find you.  I bet Meg is an absolute sweetheart though!

[/quote]

But Meg had a really horrific start in life too – so its definately possible you are on the right track re them being beaten etc etc.  ???

wags

uhm its really really odd though

she would find you and she can think!!!! but her ability to learn is stupidly slow when she finally gets it you really do get a light bulb moment with her

Justine&Rafe

I suppose though, if she has previously been told that doing something is bad, you may never be able to get completely over that stumbling block.  The more positive light bulb moments she has, the more it will erode the negative aspect of trying new things, but experiences like that become ingrained…

Just think of the dog that has a fear of, say, westies, because as a puppy, once, it got bitten by one, and that’s a fear that they can take through their whole life!  So even just a few weeks or months of abuse or negect, particularly when they are little, can have huge effects for the rest of their lives.

The positive thing being that you are giving her the pefect therapy for it, even ifshe’s still a little slow on the uptake!!

Anonymous

hi,

meg – i dont think she was so much ‘told’ as ‘terrified’ – doing anything new would have been bad bad bad.  she probably wont ever get over it.

she sounds similar to william – i say ‘nice but dim’ but really the problem is he just finds learning so unrewarding.  free shaping with him is virtually non existant, you can lure him but only with good treats – no skanky cheddar for him lol !!  he’ll get the hang – click – treat and then just loses all motivation.

his main problem is he isnt quick enough for my patience and bonnie (and misty) are/were just so much more rewarding lol !!!  who wants to be stuck indoors teaching a complete thicko “bark” and “shutup” when you could be working c5+D with a lurcher and rabbits and getting success !!!

claire.

do/can dogs cry?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime