Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Do Not Disturb!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Do Not Disturb!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

How annoying is it when you are working in the high street with the dog and every time you get her in a sit or down people will insist on distracting her and talking to her when they walk past thus making her get up & break the down/sit.  >:(

I don’t think it could be more obvious i am training so rather than tell people to piss off, I have just ordered Cass a custom made high visibility flurescent jacket for training in the street with the words “Training – Do Not Distract” written on it.  ;D ;D

Wonder if they will take the hint? LOL

Anonymous

mark – i’ll do you a house swap 🙂

i only wish i even saw people remotely interested in my dogs round here – you could train to your hearts content and i guarentee that even if you did see anyone – they wouldnt talk to you !!

Anonymous

Unfortunately my breed has that seductive lure with some people. I find i only ever get 2 kinds of response from the public – people either walk away from us or they walk toward us when they see Cass is a Rottweiler.

Obviously i have no objection to her meeting people (when it’s appropriate to do so) but when people can see i am clearly working with her & they still distract her it does get a bit irritating.

I can’t wait to see my flashy hi-viz coat. Maybe i should have just asked them to put ‘BUGGER OFF!’ and have done with it. PMSL  ;D

kizkiznobite

come on mark…you almost there hun as in the last pm’s yes?

fluency…..just work on it

anyone coming up to amilou in the street? she would look to me first for the ok do i greet or ignore…does she not claire?….

this your last hurdle hun……ignore folk in ear…force focus on cass she will focus back and ignore them…..she will….trust me  😉 then cue her to greet or not as you wish

Anonymous

hi,

yep bev is right mark – this is your C5+D you talking high level training here so super good sweeties and as bev says, keep your focus on Cass so she doesnt break cue – re-cue her or praise her LOUDLY GOOOOOD SIT CASS + C/T  (then if it was me i would purposefully get myself inbetween the dog and person as much as poss to stop “groping” and get the “yes she is lovely, would you like to fuss her” and THEN do your greets.  I know you are one of life’s nice guys but be a little pushy – this is for your number one girly and doG knows you and she both deserve it !!

one thing i found with bonnie was that i am so subtle with my body cues sometimes that i’ll release her by turning / shifting attention inadvertantly so i have been doing fluency for cues doing something like the following …

put dog in cue (i am working at C2 or C5) then see if you can walk backwards a couple of steps, forwards again, to one side and another, turn right around, walk all the way around the dog (SLOWLY when the dog has to move head from turning one way to other or i find mine break), do star jumps, sing a little song, talk on the phone …..

claire x

Anonymous

It doesn’t really make much difference when people are approaching her without asking me or even giving me the chance to keep her focus on me because they just walk straight in front of me while i am giving commands – we are talking about stupid people here, i mean literally people purposely make eye contact with her & talk to her so loudly that she switches her focus on them instead of me.

All i want is for people to just keep away from her & stop being silly when they can see we are working. If they need it written on the dog in plain English then great. I can keep her focus on me perfectly well as long as people don’t keep approaching her the way they do. That’s the whole point – it’s not me they are talking to, it’s the dog. I can ignore them but she can’t when they are getting right in her face. We are not talking about people ‘idling by’ here – we are talking about people purposefull walking right up to the dog and distracting her, standing square in front of her looking straight in her eyes – that sort of stupid..

Anonymous

i just cannot imagine where you live ! 

claire x

wags

personally i think you should be thankfull that you have the oppertunity to change the general thoughts on your breed

whats better – a messed up training session OR someone goes away with a better opinion of rotties ?

Anonymous

Think you might be missing the point. Of course i am grateful i can challenge the public’s perception of the breed, but that’s not really the point here. One messed up training session & several messed up training sessions are 2 very different things.

kizkiznobite

It doesn’t really make much difference when people are approaching her without asking me or even giving me the chance to keep her focus on me because they just walk straight in front of me while i am giving commands – we are talking about stupid people here, i mean literally people purposely make eye contact with her

thats where i am at mark…anyone do that to amilou….all she does is maintain the last cue …as a sit or whatever and peers around legs to focus on me….she ignores them in otherwords until she is told you can greet if you wish….

so that is your aim…to maintain/sustain that focus….now you can do this…you can…it no worse than what you have done already with brill results….and by doG you have done so much that was far worse….

Anonymous

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12130.msg233376#msg233376 date=1217437099]
    It doesn’t really make much difference when people are approaching her without asking me or even giving me the chance to keep her focus on me because they just walk straight in front of me while i am giving commands – we are talking about stupid people here, i mean literally people purposely make eye contact with her

thats where i am at mark…anyone do that to amilou….all she does is maintain the last cue …as a sit or whatever and peers around legs to focus on me….she ignores them in otherwords until she is told you can greet if you wish….

so that is your aim…to maintain/sustain that focus….now you can do this…you can…it no worse than what you have done already with brill results….and by doG you have done so much that was far worse….
    [/quote]

It’s not a major issue for me Bev, i know i can do it & i am doing it really well. maybe i make it sound worse than it is. All we are talking about are certain people getting much too close – i’m talking within touching distance, literally shoving thier hand under her nose.

If a jacket prevents people from getting so close while i work to maintain her focus then that’s all i want. I am seeing it more as a tool to use.

Anonymous

yeah – if you wanted one to keep them away – you could have put

BEWARE
    this dog bites

Anonymous

“My other dog’s a Pitt Bull” LOL  ;D

wags

or put a muzzle on her

my friends deaf dog has a jacket that says “im deaf – dont touch me you will scare me”

and i was tempted to get one for Oban that said “its not a bite its a deformed jaw – you should have asked first”

Awww Mark at least the jacket will hopefully keep them away  😉  :-*

I think we have this with Honey – at a guess I would say luck more than training  😀 If were out walking and someone says hello doggy, she will ignore unless I tell her to say hello – but thats more cos shes rarely interested than because i taught her it  😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime