Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dobermann

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Dobermann

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Sweetypye

First of all the Dobermann is part of the working group and was designed for a completely different purpose than the GSD which belongs to the pastoral group.

The modern Dobermann is descended from a mixture of breeds and primarily designed to be a guard dog of the close personal protection kind.

The GSD was designed and derived from sheep herding dogs in Germany of mainly two differing types as a “living fence” and its versatility means that it is often the dog of choice for personal protection, police general purpose dogs, prison dogs, MoD dogs, Schutzhund as well as fulfilling the role of sniffer dog for bombs, mines, drugs, tracking, guide dogs, assistance dogs and are successful in obedience etc; all over the world.

Because they have been bred from differing genetic backgrounds they also have differing predispositions as do all dogs, otherwise of course the breeds would not exist.

GSD tend to be very handler dependant, much more so than the Dobermann who has a more independent outlook.

HTH

Anonymous

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=7108.msg226617#msg226617 date=1214402246]
    First of all the Dobermann is part of the working group and was designed for a completely different purpose than the GSD which belongs to the pastoral group.

[/quote]

Up until a couple of years ago the GSD was  in the working group aswell along with all the other herders 🙂

GSPmad

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=7108.msg227315#msg227315 date=1214690628]
    [quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=7108.msg226617#msg226617 date=1214402246]

[/quote]

Up until a couple of years ago the GSD was  in the working group aswell along with all the other herders 🙂
    [/quote]

but the dobe was bred as a guard dog whereas the gsd was bred as a herding dog, so they were still bred for different functions though weren’t they?  ???

Anonymous

Yes but were all together in the ‘Working Group’ as they all worked.
    Then it was decided that because there were SO many dogs in one group they would split it into 3 🙂

Anonymous

Two  😉
    [quote author=jaydex link=topic=7108.msg227388#msg227388 date=1214761408]
    Yes but were all together in the ‘Working Group’ as they all worked.
    Then it was decided that because there were SO many dogs in one group they would split it into 3 🙂
    [/quote]

Anonymous

;D was thinking Utilty aswell but we already had that 🙂

Anonymous

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=7108.msg226183#msg226183 date=1214241020]
    There may be an “awful lot of people” participating in obedience but how successful are they?

There are only two Dobes competing in WT at the moment in the lower stakes and there has not been a Dobermann in ticket stakes for at least 10 years if not longer.

There are a couple more dobes in Schutzhund than trials but they spend a great deal of time failing or being disqualified I am afraid.

ps I forgot Chancepixies kennel but they are the exception to the rule.

Only 4 Dobes have ever achieved Schutzhund 3 in the UK.

These are just facts.
    [/quote]

and Congrats to Martin & Bracco on achieving Schutzund 3  ;D

Sweetypye

Yes he was very lucky by all accounts……..

Anonymous

Whats does that mean ::)
    Cant you just say well done without throwing in a sarcasm!

Mudgie

I wasn’t aware luck had anything to do with winning anything other than the lottery or a raffle  ???

Maybe I am missing the point here  ::)

and it has to be said – there are a lot of breeds that are now used for something completely different than what they were originally “bred” for

Sweetypye

Oh dear it is very difficult to post without you taking offence isn’t it?!

I can see no sarcasm in my post, but as I have said many times before, the way one interprets and talks about other posters reveals more about the person doing this than the poster!

I said “he was very lucky by all accounts” this includes his own, on his site!

We ALL need a bit of luck when we compete or in life in general do we not?  All my fellow competitors will admit we need luck sometimes!  Those who do not compete may of course not be aware of this, but it is a factor!

He was lucky to qualify in the obedience, which as Martin says himself on his site was “paltry” as he could not muster a sendaway.  These are big marks to throw away.

Perhaps you have not read it?

http://www.aritaur.co.uk/Bracco_page.htm

I have already congratulated Martin and Jay on their wonderful achievement.

So  before jumping to conclusions and judging others by your own standards and outlook on life, perhaps you should wait for the answer to your original question “what does that mean”!

::)

If Martin can be honest about himself and his dog’s performance and not defensive it should not be beyond the remit of others who have not achieved these heights should it?

Mudgie

I think when it is the breed we are most passionate about then it can sometimes be misinterpreted.  :-\

Lets not spoil this thread all this stuff is very interesting and informative

Sweetypye

If luck truly plays no part in competitive events then presumably Good Luck wishes are redundant and no one should use this phrase?!  ;D 😀

Mudgie

I know what you mean but I always think preparation is the key more than anything. 

Fail to prepare – prepare to fail  ;D

Sweetypye

Absolutely but you can be prepared as hell but still have good or bad luck on the day.

Look at Zara phillips!  She and her horse were very prepared, but unfortunately had the bad luck to sustain an injury prior to the olympics.

One cannot RELY on luck, but it does play a part in everything.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime