Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

dog food

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

over the years i have seen all sorts of dog food some good some not it is up to the owner to pick the food and i would not tell any one witch one to buy its not the food people buy but how much the dog eats as  over the years i have seen a lot of fat dogs i would like some law to stop owners over feeding dogs when my dobermann broke his back leg he had two major ops in one week and being fit as a flea i am sure it helped him to recover as fast as he did its not hard to do less food and more walks try it my dobermann still loves to run free every day and he is still as fit as a flea he has half an hour in the morning and two hours off lead every afternoon rain or shine having three legs did not slow him down
    e

Mudgie

Unfortunately it is up to each owner not only to decide what they feed their dog and also how they treat their dog.  Stuff like this used to really upset me and it still does but you can’t change the world and people will do what they do – in terms of training, punishment and reward and feeding etc.    I think on the whole owners are being more aware and responsible in the UK anyhow but with all aspects of living there is good and bad (and sometimes downright ugly) 

Val

The one thing we do not need in this nanny state is yet another law.
    The things I have seen in my lifetime are beyond the pale in dogs and food is way down the list, I too hate fat dogs and balls in the bag but at the end of the day the dog is the owners property
    Val

Diesel73

[quote author=Val link=topic=14770.msg272608#msg272608 date=1253983058]
    The things I have seen in my lifetime are beyond the pale in dogs and food is way down the list, I too hate fat dogs and balls in the bag but at the end of the day the dog is the owners property
    Val
    [/quote]
    Not only that…. If it would become a law than a lot of people that have no knowledge of when a dog’s to fat….. or even know what the backend and front is of a dog, will have a ‘magic’ finger to point at dogs that they find to fat.

That happend to me once. My Tarco…….. A beau-ti-ful well build boy who was very well endowed with ‘paws and ears’ as we say. One bystander who was surrounded by his friends could not resist yelling at me that i mistreated him by feeding him so fat and called him the very most ugly toy poodle he had e-ver seen  >:( ……… my Tarco (than)was a beautiful well build about 3 month old BOUVIER DE FLANDRE…… understand my point?  😉

Anonymous

[quote author=Val link=topic=14770.msg272608#msg272608 date=1253983058]
    Val
    [/quote]if docking tails can be stopped what about a warning on the dog food it self my dobermann is my fourth dog yes i paid money for him but i would never call him my property and i think it is time that all animals had a better life when they live with us a dog can not say help being fat is awful if it takes a law so be it  it is time owners stopped thinking that any animal is property  and by balls in the bag do you mean entire dogs mine has his balls he was born with them and he cross the rainbow bridge with them just because hes mine does not give me the right to cut bits off him
    m

Balls in the bag – dog food – the dry kibble sutff

And you could put all the warnings you like on a bag off food, people either take notice that their pet is fat or they dont – lets be honest the EVIDENCE is staring them right in the face every day – if they arnt willing to take notice of THAT they are even less likely to take notice of a notice on a bag of dog food – maybe if the dog food companys stopped recommending twice the amount of food that most dogs need that might be a good start!

You cannot pass a law on weight sorry but you cant – who would control it make sure people were doing what they should? Would cost far too much and people still wouldnt take notice in the same way people still carry on doing stuff thats already banned like dog fighting.

Mudgie

[quote author=farrokh link=topic=14770.msg272617#msg272617 date=1253994622]
    [just because hes mine [/quote]

so he is your property then  😉

Mudgie

Nacho is my dog.  I am his owner.  Therefore I own him.  Therefore he is my property  ;D  and he doesnt have his balls in a bag or otherwise  anymore in any shape or form ;D

Val

farrokh
    They brought a law in banning pitbulls, making spaying and neutering the law for the breed.
    By now they should of all died out have they??????
    No.
    If you looked further than yourself and your dog you must have noticed all the laws that have come in with the welfare act.thats another utter shambles as well, Laws will not help maybe education but some people are so thick they can’t see the nose on their own face.
    We have endless Laws that are not carried out because they are not thought out by the people that know the subject IMO I know a fair amount about dogs and as long as we have the RSPCA at the helm of animal welfare it will never improve.
    When I was young we never saw a fat dog…… the reason they were fed table craps and bones there was no such thing as balls in bags being sold as dog food, we never had a poo problem as it blew away in the wind we did have a lot of loose dogs none of them biting a child while out on it’s own for a daily trot, somethings have changed for the better but trust me the life of some dogs has not, dog licences are another thing that was the law they worked as well as a chocolate tea pot, I could sit here and write a book on the difference between then and now persoally I think I prefered then to now.
    And another point if you don’t own your dog who the hell does?????
    Val
    PS Diesel I know what you mean the times people say to me ”Your dogs are skinny” excuse me they are a working breed and could not run all day carrying spare lard

Diesel73

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=14770.msg272620#msg272620 date=1253998045]
    Nacho is my dog.  I am his owner.  Therefore I own him.  Therefore he is my property  ;D 
    [/quote]
    Here here!

quote :

yes i paid money for him but i would never call him my property….. it is time owners stopped thinking that any animal is property 

Why Farrokh? Why for you, does the word ‘property’ or ‘to own’ stand equal to ‘i am able to mistreat it’  or have such a bad taste to you?  I find it stands for ‘will always take care of it without any limit’.
    I find this puzzling, why loads of pro-animalrights fighters find the words ‘to own’ so … evil-like.

Yes, i own my boys, my lifestock, my kids and my wife.
    For some i have payed money, some make me able to provide the others with money, and some……. (the 4 legged and 2 legged human-ones)…… they own me too and cost me money  😛 .

I don’t understand why owning something living hàs to be bad. 
    Weddingnote, pedigree, birdring with my number on it…..  I wanted it so  i take care of it and am responcible for it. It all the same to me.

*Nat*

I certainly consider Piper my property, I am responsible for her becasue she is mine, I chose to buy her and don’t think of it any other way  🙂

Sweetypye

I am always curious why people do not want to say that their dog is their property?!

My house is my property, I bought and paid for it and if anything happens to it I am responsible for it.

The same applies to my dog.

I find all these phrases such as my “furbaby”, or “I am owned by” etc etc complete twaddle.

The fact is that my dog was advertised for sale, it had a cost price, I purchased him, I have a receipt, I am listed as his owner in the Breed Supplement, therefore he is my property.

End of.

There is a national speed limit on all roads and for various types of vehicle; is it universally followed?  No.

I could go on and on and on…………….. :agree:

And you DO have the right to cut bits off your animal if it means that he/she, other dogs, animals and people would be better off without them!  :ok:

You may prefer not to spay or castrate, that is your personal decision; it is up to all of us as individuals to do the best for our dogs in our own particular circumstances.

What is right for one, is not necessarily universally so.

I agree with Val, I do not NEED any LAWS to tell me how to look after my animals/property properly!

sofapup

Interesting debate.  I am in the US, different laws, different views.  I work in a humane society shelter, not aspca.  What matters when we send home a dog is not what will he be fed, but will he be sent home at all!  A home with cheap food is better than a shelter any day. Home is home.  Not the same as MY home, but its home!

Each adopter signs a contract saying they are the legal owners of the animal, and thereafter are responsible for any damage caused by the animal, or illness or injury.  I have no problem with that.

sofapup

Diesel73

[quote author=sofapup link=topic=14770.msg274231#msg274231 date=1263799680]
    Interesting debate.  I am in the US, different laws, different views.  I work in a humane society shelter, not aspca.  What matters when we send home a dog is not what will he be fed, but will he be sent home at all!  A home with cheap food is better than a shelter any day. Home is home.  Not the same as MY home, but its home!

Each adopter signs a contract saying they are the legal owners of the animal, and thereafter are responsible for any damage caused by the animal, or illness or injury.  I have no problem with that.

sofapup
    [/quote]
    Than you just prooved the first part of your post. In my country the contract says it will remain the shelter property.  😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime