Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dog Groomers Insurance

Home Archive Forums Dogs Where can I find ……? Dog Groomers Insurance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    mandy4cats

I am a new dog groomer and will have to take out insurance very soon for my salon. Can anyone recommend a good company? Thanks

Anonymous

http://www.petbusinessinsurance.co.uk

got handed this card at Wag & Bone Show, dont know what they like but prob worth a quote 🙂
    email info@petbusinessinsurance.co.uk
    0845 220144

xtine

am sure Suz and Val will be able to offer you some advice  🙂

I use that one – and am sure Val was the one who recommended it to me so uses it too……they are good helpful – touch wood ive never had to make a claim, but whenever ive rung/emailed them they have been quick to reply – and I always have lots of questions  😀

where abouts you opening your salon Mandy- you have finished your traiing now? how did it go?

mandy4cats

Hi Suz I am working from home. I finished my training but did not feel very confident so then did another 2 weeks somewhere else. Still not very confident. It’s been a while since I did my courses as I have been waiting for my salon to be finished.  It’s suprising how much you forget in that time. I did a Westie yesterday and the day before. I thought it wouldn’t take that long. It took me all day. Bit demoralizing. Are there any shortcuts for pet trimming a westie? Guard combs for instance? I’ve been told not to use them but to me they look like they cut the work in half. Especially for owners who tell me they dont mind what the dog looks like they just want him clean and tidy. Thanks.

Anonymous

Especially for owners who tell me they dont mind what the dog looks like they just want him clean and tidy.

It’s a mistake to do that Mandy.  Every dog that leaves your parlour is your business card and a good or bad advert for you.  Make them all look like Westies should look, some a little shorter and some a little longer but none should have their weatherproof coat removed and all (if you squint! 😉 ) should look broadly like the breed standard Westie.

Let me explain…..  If you do a good Westie trim, that dog will be a good advert for you and other owners who want their dogs to look the same will come to you.  You’ll be known at the lady who turns out a Westie that looks like a Westie and owners will pay good money and travel many miles to bring their dogs to you.  🙂 

If you do a 10 all over job, or clip the back and leave a short hovercraft skirt, owners who want their dogs looking like that will come to you, and you’ll be the same as all the other groomers in your area and you’ll all be fighting for cheap clip off work and stuggling to make a living. :-\

Anonymous

Hi,

i have just had to “groom” bonnie which consisted of

tieing up
    filling watering can
    tipping over
    shampoo on
    rubbing off fox poo
    watering can again
    quick do over with furminator
    towel dry

and she looks much the same as she did before (minus stinky fox poo on her face/neck and a little fluffier here and there)

i have been umming about treating them both to a proper groom but i still wouldnt use anyone who turned out hovercraft westies, number 1 all over cockers or mini sheep shih tzu’s …. and i’m only wanting someone to wash + brush 2 short coated collie x !  its just what it says “this person cannot or cannot be bothered to groom to a good standard”  I am sure i cant be alone ?

Claire x

Anonymous

You’re a groomers’ dream Claire with 2 short coated, no matts, dogs!  ;D  The difference that a parlour would make to your dogs is that the dryer will remove a lot more dead coat than just a bath and brush at home will.

The problem with groomers is …. if all the groomers in the area fire off coats with gay abandon, then all the pet owners in the park think that their dog looks the same as all the rest and so they must look right!  I used to get most of my new enquiries from owners saying “I met Fido in the park today and he looked lovely – nothing like my dog.  Please can I bring my dog to you and please will you make him look like Fido?”  It’s definitely the way forward to build up a busy and successful parlour and knock the competition into a cocked hat!  😉

mandy4cats

So how can I get more confident with the Westie Cut then? I bought one of the Artero DVD’s but it’s not very good. Is there an easy to follow method that even someone as unconfident as me can follow?

Anonymous

just an idea but suz has a few westies i think – you could ask her if she’ll video herself doing one, might that help ?

also it really sounds like you’d benefit from some critique – if you didnt want to do it on open forum you could ask rough, suz, val for their opinions if you did a video or some photo’s maybe of you doing one ?

suz – just for some comparison here, how long would a westie take you (lets say one which has NOT previously been cut by you but is used to grooming) as mandy is getting in new clients ?  and once it had been a few times ?

mandy – were you pleased with the results even if it did take you all day ?  did you take pics ?  were the dogs used to grooming, what were they like coming in (were they clipped off last time or did you have an OK coat to work on), did you have to take breaks (as it was awful weather up here – muggy like chewing the air yesterday).

claire x

Anonymous

So how can I get more confident with the Westie Cut then?

I would say go to Championship Shows and see what correct Westies, Airedales, Bichons, Cavaliers, Lhasa/Shih Tzu, Cockers should look like.  You can then adapt the trim to a more manageable length for a pet dog, but the ‘look’ and shape should be the same.  If you’ve been taught to put clippers on Cockers/Westies backs, you’ll see why they don’t look the same as the breed standard. :'(

I remember trying to recommend a training school when you were looking because it’s so easy for places to take your money and set you free without sufficient training and backup for you to start on your own.  :-\

Anonymous

Hi Mandy
    It took you all day to do a westie, was that a hand strip of a clip.
    Yes I do use PA never had any problems with them thats why I suggested Suz use them.
    If you are opening a shop and you are taking that long to do a westie, you will die within a month.
    I strip in an hour twenty to show standard and clip in forty five mins including bath and nails with glands if needed depending on rent I would say you will have to do at least 8 plus dogs a day to make a living speeds comes with experience but a dog a day you will end up in trouble
    Val

[quote author=mandy4cats link=topic=12186.msg235210#msg235210 date=1218095593]
    Hi Suz I am working from home. I finished my training but did not feel very confident so then did another 2 weeks somewhere else. Still not very confident. It’s been a while since I did my courses as I have been waiting for my salon to be finished.  It’s suprising how much you forget in that time. I did a Westie yesterday and the day before. I thought it wouldn’t take that long. It took me all day. Bit demoralizing. Are there any shortcuts for pet trimming a westie? Guard combs for instance? I’ve been told not to use them but to me they look like they cut the work in half. Especially for owners who tell me they dont mind what the dog looks like they just want him clean and tidy. Thanks.
    [/quote]

mandy4cats

It was a clip off on the body and a bit of a skirt. I try to speed up but everything takes so long. I am frightened that I dont have what it talkes. But after having spent so much money on courses and equipment I owe it to myself to try. How on earth do you do 8 dogs in a day? What is the secret to bathing, grooming and cutting in an hour?

mandy4cats

How do I stop myself dying? Sorry I got my previous message wrong you strip 20 in an hour?? Please tell me how? I need some help.

Izzie

[quote author=mandy4cats link=topic=12186.msg235312#msg235312 date=1218131842]
    How do I stop myself dying? Sorry I got my previous message wrong you strip 20 in an hour?? Please tell me how? I need some help.
    [/quote]

I think Val meantr she can handstrip a dog in 1 hour 20 mins 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime