Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dog laws to be reviewed.

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs in the News Dog laws to be reviewed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Has anyone read this article yet? Can’t quite decide if it’s a good or bad thing at the moment. On the face of it i actually like the sound of it but i wonder how far it will go & if it will go far enough to deal with the problem owners?

http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Bid-to-overhaul-dog-laws-launched-951152764.html

Not sure about the attacks on private property, does this act just cover the dogs on the dangerous dogs list or?

Anonymous

I think the aim is to make it non breed specific to include the behaviour of all dogs regardless of type, not sure about the idea of making it apply to private as well as public property.  :-\

Thats what I was thinking …..

kendal
    *Lassie*

[quote author=Mark. link=topic=13240.msg254736#msg254736 date=1229171368]
    I think the aim is to make it non breed specific to include the behaviour of all dogs regardless of type, not sure about the idea of making it apply to private as well as public property.  :-\
    [/quote]

It means if a your dog attacks someone in your home you can be taken to court, at present your home is classed as private property. Remember the little girl killed at her Grandma’s last new year? they got away with it because the attack was at their home, with this new bill they would be held accountable.

Just wonder where they would draw the lines……..as in what if i had a visitor and they kicked Honey and she bit them hard – i could be prosecuted? after all we only have my word anything happened to cause the bite – yet a full set of teeth marks on said visitor……………..not that Honey would bite anyone but you know what I mean  🙂

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=13240.msg254847#msg254847 date=1229207982]
    Just wonder where they would draw the lines……..as in what if i had a visitor and they kicked Honey and she bit them hard – i could be prosecuted? after all we only have my word anything happened to cause the bite – yet a full set of teeth marks on said visitor……………..not that Honey would bite anyone but you know what I mean  🙂
    [/quote]

what would happen if your dog bit an intruder in your own home :-\

Sweetypye

The DDA has always applied to ALL dogs with regard to dog biting incidents.

What action would/could be taken if a dog bit an intruder would, like what would happen to you should you defend yourself against an intruder, depend on the individual circumstances.

If for example, I feared for my life I would have no hesitation in sending my dog in (he is trained) on an intruder after issuing  a warning

As for the laws, well pit bulss were banned, they are still around………………….

Anonymous

if i had a dog i could send in like SP’s i wouldnt hesitate to use them to protect my family in the same way that if i was in a position to disable them myself i would – if you do that you can be prosecuted so i expect it sortof brings it inline ?

also – statistically many attacks happen on private property with dogs known to the family, maybe it would stop some owners being so complacent about their dogs ?

claire.

Anonymous

I’ve been reading through the new proposed dog bill that could potentially replace the DDA. On face value i actually think it makes a lot of sense.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200809/ldbills/009/09009.i-i.html#j001

Anonymous

i know this is REALLY cheeky but do you fancy summarising main points / differences ?

i’ve got an essay to do (on depression !!!!!) but would be interested to know 🙂

Anonymous

Well the main changes as highlighted by the KC would be –

• Instead of banning specific breeds of dog, the dog’s behaviour – as well as its treatment by its owner – will be used to determine if it is a risk to public safety.
    • Instead of applying only to attacks that take place in public, the Bill will also make attacks on private property a criminal offence.
    • It would be an offence to breed dogs for fighting or to keep a dog that has been used for fighting.

In effect what it is geared toward is taking the responsibility away from the dog/breed ans placing it on the owner with more focus on how the dog is treated by it’s owner.

*Lassie*

[quote author=Mark. link=topic=13240.msg255806#msg255806 date=1230150072]
    Well the main changes as highlighted by the KC would be –

• Instead of banning specific breeds of dog, the dog’s behaviour – as well as its treatment by its owner – will be used to determine if it is a risk to public safety.
    • Instead of applying only to attacks that take place in public, the Bill will also make attacks on private property a criminal offence.
    • It would be an offence to breed dogs for fighting or to keep a dog that has been used for fighting.

In effect what it is geared toward is taking the responsibility away from the dog/breed ans placing it on the owner with more focus on how the dog is treated by it’s owner.
    [/quote]

Makes much more sense :yes:

Anonymous

Agreed. On face value so far i like the sound of it. There are still certain areas that need to be clarified & perhaps re thought but it’s only in the draft stage at the moment anyway. Basically the responsible owners who don’t allow thier dogs to behave in a certain way have little to worry about, instead it targets the irresponsible owners.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime