Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Doggy hair loss (don’t want to hijack Nat’s post!!)

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Doggy hair loss (don’t want to hijack Nat’s post!!)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Justine&Rafe

Re Nat’s post about seasonal alopecia…

Are there any other reasons why dogs might start having greater hair loss at some times than others?

(Apart from seasonal moults of course!!)

Rafe has spent 2 nights in my boss’s house coz I’ve been housesitting while he was away, and it’s ROASTING in there.  The aga is on all the time (can’t be switched off) and the windows can’t be kept ajar overnight for security reasons – so in the kitchen is always hot, and he’s only allowed in the kitchen.

Anyway, brought him back to my house last night and he was shedding like mad!  He doesn’t have a typical thick flattie coat anyway, but wondered if the heat overnight could cause him to undergo a sort of moult?

Also can imagine that stress and immune stressors could cause hair loss.

Also noticed when had to treat him with Stronghold (as boss’s dog had suspected ear mites), that his hair fell out then – ALL his guard hairs.

Am now wondering if it has more to do with like what Piper suffers from, as it was about this time last year when I treated him with the Stronghold…

He hasn’t any bald patches, but his coat is very thin, and am always a little concerned when the weather is this cold (and he refuses to stay out of the water) that he might catch a chill!!

Wonder if anyone could tell me when dogs are supposed to have seasonal moults, roughly, coz that must be to do with the light, right?

Ta!!

Sweetypye

Many dogs that live indoors moult all year round because of the heat.

Justine&Rafe

So me keeping him in a hot room for a couple of nights could be what sparked this off then?  Is same as last year – all guard hairs coming out, not the normal soft fluff that usually seems to come out when they’re moulting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime