Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

dogs and horses

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion dogs and horses

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

stay means stay there until i come back to you…..never recall off a stay ….it doesnt nec mean lie down and stay …it just means stay whatever position you choose for dog to be in….you should be able to put dog in a stay and move out of his sight….

to test it ….cue a stay and then add diversion such as fussing another dog etc….

wait means wait until i tell you to do something else….regardless how long that may take

dogs in back of my car…back is up and open
    if i cue stay….they dont move position they stay ln the down because they know i am coming back to them
    if i cue wait….they sit and watch me ..,they waiting for another cue…they know that something else is following at some point

my signals are wait right palm up policeman style, stay left palm up policeman style

you need to get the cues fluent and if that means extending the training sessions so dog is in a stay/wait for an hour so be it

i also suggest you teach the stop and the away…..if he going to be weak on the stay until you have trained it in at least you will be able to stop him coming into the horses and then sending him away….you cannot jump from criteria 1 to 5…especially with stays and waits….

let me try and put it this way…
    you working with untrained horses yes?

so….you get the horse to accept you as rider and trot nice in his training field
    you wouldnt then enter it straight the way into a noisy competition

let me try and put it this way…
    you working with untrained horses yes?

so….you get the horse to accept you as rider and trot nice in his training field
    you wouldnt then enter it straight the way into a noisy competition

that makes sence

so were i went wrong was recalling him from the stay, ok, so from now on i need to go to him when he is in stay. so maybe he has been getting confused between stay and wait because i was recalling him from the stay?

i have been trying to train the stop and he does it to some degree, he will stop when he is a few feet from me but will not stop at a great distance, if i say stop and he keeps moving i go na-aa and he does sometimes stop but not always. i am training the away, he will go away then stop and look at me so i will cue away again, i keep doing this until he is were i want him. is he doing this to see how far away i want him?

kizkiznobite

you have to mark the away point…otherwise he just might keep going  😀

train the away to a marker…like a small mat etc…once he got that then you add what you want him to do once there…like sit or lie down…you do stuff to fast…one behaviour one reward until fluent then add in other stuff

take the stay and wait right back to criteria one and build it up slowly through to the higher criterias…then test it at criteria 5

train the stop on coming in until the cue is understood…then test it on an away….

i cant find the sticky about the criteria levels. can you put a link if you know were it is, please.

so with the training away to a marker, say i use a towel, i should start training the away at home / garden then move it to the field with the horses. using the same towel as the target spot so that he gets the idea?
    i also use the away to get him to go foward in a walk, i guess i should stop that and use a different cue instead?
    when he goes away to the mark, how would you reward that behavour? if i say ‘good boy’ or anything he will then come back to me.

i think i need to take the patience i have with the horses and apply it to stan :canadian: and slow down so that he has a chance to learn everything.

so until i get the criterias up and he is starting to get the idea, should i keep tieing him up when i need to do anything with the horses? i would leave him at home but i am ussualy out all day so that wouldnt be fair on him

Izzie

use a table mat instead of a towel

Criteria levels are:
    Level1 inside the home
    Level 2 in garden
    Level 3 in neighbours garden
    Level 4 training hall
    Level 5 outside

i dont have a table mat, what about a pillow?

thanks for the criteria levels

Izzie

I use table mats as mine tend to retrieve them if they arent flat.

You could try a vet bed or a cone?

theres no worry about stan retrieving anything unless it is ball shaped 😀

will have a dig around and see what i can find

kizkiznobite

oppsss…so many folk have good boy that becomes a release cue…

mark the behaviour…click or whatever your mark is…and chuck treat to him at the required distance…verbal appraisal wont be enough for this for a while …..the value of the rewards has to match the criterias

would it be worth me bying a clicker and seeing if he takes to clicker training? as i dont realy have anything to mark the desired behavour.

the criteria treats…i thought:
    criteria 1 – gravy bickies
    criteria 2 – ?
    criteria 3 – ?
    criteria 4 – ball
    criteria 5 – big play

not sure if im getting the right idea or not :-\

Izzie

You would have to charge the clicker first though

for the treats I tend to go with:

C1 Cheese
    C2 Fish Bread
    C3 Cooked Chick
    C4 Black Pudding
    C5 Dried Liver

kizkiznobite

biscuits do not make good training treats…they bloat the tum and slow the dog down so you dont get so many repeats….

everyone has a marker of some sort…a yep…good sit (or whatever behaviour) a head nod welldone…raise of the brow….how do you acknowledge he done good?

and no to ball and big play at this stage…you need a fast delivery treat that is over and done with quickly so you can fast re cue…the behaviour/mark/reward has to be done over and over with mini breaks in between

:surprise: :scared:

i tend to head nod, smile or say good to let him know hes done good

with treats though….im not sure what to do because things like cheese, meat set him tummy off. i could keep trying him with different foods but im not sure?

this all seems so out of my capability :crazy:

kizkiznobite

he shoukld be ok with dried out chicken….even dried out lean pork ..that may be even better….

there you go…you have a marker  🙂 everyone does…it a human thing  😀 often just dont know they have  🙂

😀 😀 i do a lot of things that i dont know i do ;D

i will try him on the lean pork and see if he is ok with it, i know hes ok with chicken but what about the high criterias?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime