Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

dogs and horses

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion dogs and horses

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

i would use dried chicken for the lower criterias and dried out pork for the rest…small cubes….dolly mixture size  🙂

oh right so you dont need to have different treats for the different criterias, ok ;D

kizkiznobite

it not quiet that simple…you have to use what the dog will work for….the value of the treat = behaviour expected is set by the dog….but the norm average etc is that as the outside influences increase the treat value needs to match it ok?

so an example….cubert….because he fed meat daily…meat is lowish….cheese is good inside…cooked greasy chicken ok in garden and other folk’s homes etc…but in the field? it frozen peas/mange tout/peanuts  ::)

for brose it was raw brussel sprouts  ;D ;D

ami….my appraisal…occasionally raw mutton

brussels yumm ;D

okay urrmmm yess :surrender:

anything vagly friuty or veggie i get horrids looks from him 😀 😀

Bev…. ;D

i have been tying stan up like you said but yesterday i thought i would try his training so….. i tied him up whilst the vet was down then when the vet went i let him loose for a while… then told him to go lay down… he went to his spot and laid down…. stay ….. i went and stroked horse then went back…. stan hadnt moved a muscle ;D … so just to test it i told him to stay again … went round shed (out of sight) for few mins … went back …. he hadnt moved a muscle ;D

do you think that him being tied up has given him the right idea of what is wanted??
    also how can i get stan to understand when i am talking to the horses and when i am talking to him … i have noticed that some of the times that he moves it is when i say to the horse ‘come on’, ‘come here’, ‘good boy’ so any ideas??

Sweetypye

What about using the dog’s name?

Many of us with more than one dog have to ensure that our dogs know which one we are speaking to when asking for a recall or a retrieve.

So for example when i am out with my two, and I am throwing a ball, both are put in the sit, and the dog that I want to fetch the ball is called by name followed by cue.

This way the dogs discriminate, it is no different when working say two collies together, you can use name plus cue or different cues for each dog.

Just a thought.

*Lassie*

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=14391.msg269705#msg269705 date=1246865889]
    What about using the dog’s name?

Many of us with more than one dog have to ensure that our dogs know which one we are speaking to when asking for a recall or a retrieve.

So for example when i am out with my two, and I am throwing a ball, both are put in the sit, and the dog that I want to fetch the ball is called by name followed by cue.

This way the dogs discriminate, it is no different when working say two collies together, you can use name plus cue or different cues for each dog.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

That’s what I do :yes:

thats an idea, so it would go “stan …… ” instead of just the cue mmm thats a good idea ;D
    i will give that a try and see how that goes

thankyou ;D

kizkiznobite

name…count 3 secs then cue

dont do stansit….stanliedown…stancome…..

it pack stuff

stan 1…2….3….sit etc

but i think…and i aint no horse person…you will need to do horse name the same when cueing horse??

so stan can pick up it not him you talking to…

SP…is that right?

Sweetypye

i would

😀 😀 thats going to be fun, i think its going to be harder to condition me into getting it right than the animals 😛 i will give it a go and let you know how i get on

well ive been doing the stan………cue and at first it took a while because everytime i said stan …… he came to me but he has now cottoned on to the name is followed by a cue. :ok: ;D

yep getting names sorted is a good thing, i didn’t realise that my mum called the horses ‘boys’ when she wanted them both, so when i was at field with both dogs and called “come on boys” i got 2 dogs and 2 horses coming at me  :yes:

😀 😀 yep ive done that and got 2 geldngs 1 mare and a dog come running

ok the training is going well, still have a few hic-ups every now and then but i have a question.

stan has started self cueing, staying at his spot even when i havent told him, do i reward this behavoure or not?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime