Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

dogs and horses

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion dogs and horses

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

well we are making very good progress ;D when i tell stan Away, he goes to his spot and lies down. the few times that he has moved off his spot i have gone and repositioned him, Stay, then gone back to what i was doing.

i do however need his reactions to be quicker and im not sure how i can get this?

Bev  ;D im so proud of Stan today.

we were down with the horses and stan was laid in his ussualy spot and our old blind mare was eating a few feet away from were stan was, i was about 14 feet away feeding the other horses. the water trough was over flowing so i needed to go down and sort it out so i moved to a position that i could call stan to me (he wasnt on a ‘stay’ cue, he was on a ‘wait’cue) without him startling the mare to much and cued ‘stan (he stood up)….. come (he jumped foward a step)……. steady’ when stan stood up his collar jingled and the mare twitched her ears toward him so i knew she knew he was there anyway….. i called stan and just as he was about to run towards me i cued ‘ steady’ and he stoped and took 2 small steps foward (looked at horse)…2steps forward (looked at horse)…. 2 steps forward (looked at horse) and he continued to do this until he was past the mare then looked at me and i cued ‘come’ and he came over.

I have been saying ‘steady’ when he is around the horses so do you suppose he picked that up and applied it when i said steady this time? ;D ;D im very pleased with him

kizkiznobite

well done….just need the confusion clearing in his head and consistent cues  🙂

it was mentioned earlier that when cueing i should name …… cue and do the same with the horses however i keep forgetting to do it with the horses aswell but Stan seems to have gotten the idea that if i want him i will call stan ….. cue
    also Stan is starting to go into directions that i point, like if i need him to go right i will point right and cue away but i have a question
    i would like to have a bit more control over where he is going so is there a way that i can teach him to move left, right, foward, back all on cue. he does the left and right but only if he is on the ‘away’ cue, the reason im asking is say if stan was walking towards me under ‘steady’ cue, or running around the field and say a horse moved into his way i would like to be able to move him around the horse safely.

are there any topics on this movement??

kizkiznobite

teaching left and right is easy and it been discussed on here loads….not sure if the how to do it by freeshaping is still on…have a search if can’t find will do it again…but….brace yourself…cos left is right and right is left if using a verbal cue  😀

Val

Or comeby and away  ::) ;D

hes going to start thinking hes a sheepdog 😀

Bev he knows the directions when pointing so perhaps i could ‘stan….point…..left/right’ ? perhaps introduce the verbal that way?

kizkiznobite

you didnt search then  ;D

what is left and right to the dog…what is it to you….i dont do verbal unless dog is by my side facing the same way as me ( big clue) ….only whistle or visual otherwise….

*looks rather sheepish* no i didnt search  :-[ i will go and search for them in a bit or in the morning

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime