Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dogs in Cars

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My dogs all lay down in the back of my estate I would never cage or use a seatbelt I too know better.
    Nick your speed limits are lower than the UK.
    I have travelled round the country road with beardies in the back of a pickup Laya was even travelled in a tractor she thought it was great  ;D

waggietail

thanks for the help guys v interesting….
    with my girls they are really good, Tia will sit anywhere i mean wont move she likes to sit in the foot well and go to sleep the other they are all the same they just tend to sit there, just they like to sit in the front and not the back??

kizkiznobite

that your insurers would not be happy about if they were not harnessed in…check the small print  🙂

Anonymous

hi,

as if on cue … we (me + dogs) had a car accident this morning.  we were stopped waiting for someone to turn right in heavy oncoming traffic and the man not paying attention in the car behind us drove square into the back of us.

i dont know how fast he was going but our side of the road was also fairly heavy traffic (school and work route at just after 8am) but what shocked me most was the force of the crash even at what cannot have been more than say 10-15mph i was thrown forward onto the seatbelt and the dogs (who were in their crate) must have been slightly thrown as mine tend to sit and they adjusted their footing but didnt fall over.  had they been unrestrained on the back seat or front seat they would have certainly been thrown forward and backwards again – made me really glad to have the crate 🙂 

claire x

hope your all ok claire :-*

if your buying a harness or crate how do you know your buying quality and not just cr@p that will break

Anonymous

Hope you are all OK
    Did you know your cage is now illegal under the new AWA a friend has just found out her’s cannot be repaired as the dealer would be breaking the law, I add this is a cage that showdogs travel in plenty big enough cost nearly three hundred but the door needing fixing, the dealer showed her the bit in the AWA it says it’s not tall enough
    Have not trolled through the WA but I know a girl who will now  :ok:

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12621.msg244425#msg244425 date=1223482509]
    hi,

as if on cue … we (me + dogs) had a car accident this morning.  we were stopped waiting for someone to turn right in heavy oncoming traffic and the man not paying attention in the car behind us drove square into the back of us.

i dont know how fast he was going but our side of the road was also fairly heavy traffic (school and work route at just after 8am) but what shocked me most was the force of the crash even at what cannot have been more than say 10-15mph i was thrown forward onto the seatbelt and the dogs (who were in their crate) must have been slightly thrown as mine tend to sit and they adjusted their footing but didnt fall over.  had they been unrestrained on the back seat or front seat they would have certainly been thrown forward and backwards again – made me really glad to have the crate 🙂 

claire x
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Hi,

with crates *in general* price can be a good ‘marker’ – you have a basic choice of 2 kinds

1 – non collapsible (usually metal and or plastic)
    2 – collapsible (usually much lighter grade metal or plastic and fabric)

i would say all types have their advantages and disadvantages.  my car crate is rigid with a main frame of approx 1cm square “tubular” steel.  containment is provided at the sides by 1″ mesh and front and back have metal framed doors (one for normal use, one escape) with mesh.  The “tubular” bits add alot of strength while the mesh will give and can be cut using pliers which are kept next to it.  it can also be pulled from the car by 1 adult (dragged and allowed to hit ground if really nessesary).  the floor is also mesh with blankets on.

collapsible can be used in the house aswell and stored easily if not used all the time but would have less overall rigidity and *some* of them are killers waiting to happen without putting them in a car !  (usually cheaper ones).  advantage of fabric ones is that a sharp knife would soon slice through them if needs be but not one for diggers or chewers 😀

with seatbelt harnesses – some companies are starting to crash test these now and i did notice that data is starting to come through on these now.  

not got time to finish this now – bump it later 🙂

Claire x

p.s. mine was also £300 and is from one of the major agility / flyball etc …. suppliers.  it was custom made to fit my car.

Anonymous

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/pdf/dogs-catswelfare.pdf

according to this my crate is perfectly legal / suitable in all dimensions for one of my dogs to travel in and there are no guidelines given for 2 or more dogs (nothing to say they should be crated seperately or minimum dimensions for more than 1 dog) 😀

however, it is dated 2006 …. but i cannot find anything newer

claire x

wags

get a proper set of crates

[img width=468 height=351]http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll294/waggiwoo/100_0653.jpg[/img]

You and pooches ok though Claire? what about the car?

waggietail

Hope every ones ok..
    I guess there insurers wouldn’t be too happy but there is no where to put a crate in any of our cars, I would use a harness but are they 100% safe… I like harnesses they are really good for control but I’m to if would survive the impact especially with a big dog in one…

cassie
    x

Anonymous

Knew you would have a hunt  :agree: yep the new rule is one dog in a cage the size of yours my friends is way bigger than yours but is not the right size for two who guess as a dealer he would have the latest list and he would not want to lose business like he did on this cage he was hopping mad in fact
    Val

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12621.msg244443#msg244443 date=1223487691]
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/pdf/dogs-catswelfare.pdf

according to this my crate is perfectly legal / suitable in all dimensions for one of my dogs to travel in and there are no guidelines given for 2 or more dogs (nothing to say they should be crated seperately or minimum dimensions for more than 1 dog) 😀

however, it is dated 2006 …. but i cannot find anything newer

claire x
    [/quote]

Anonymous

if i use my divider my crate in 1/2 both dogs can sit / stand / lie down / turn round still and all the other rules are met ?

still cant find anything that says dogs all need seperate crates or what size for 2 tho

claire x

*Nick*

Here’s what y’all need

Mudgie

oh oh I want one – but I need dogs to go in all the places  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime