Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Dogs watching tv?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Dogs watching tv?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    melinda

Can dogs understand what’s on television?

I am sure I read that they can’t associate the moving images with real things, and that if they do pay attention it’s usually because of sounds from the tv.

Our family cocker spaniel goes mental if she hears a cat meow on tv, but she’s nearly blind anyway so we know with her it’s just the noise.

However, Oscar seems to watch certain tv shows with great interest and i’m intrigued.

He was asleep last night and I had that ‘Life’ wildlife documentary on, it was about birds.  He sat right up and was cocking his head and following the birds around as they moved on the screen, occasionally he started ‘stalking’ them too.. it was bizarre, he particularly likes Vultures.

He also likes to watch ‘It’s me or the Dog’ and was getting very grumbly with some dogs that were on it, even barking at them.

So, can they understand tv or not?  ???

Anonymous

Haha good question…Willow watches tv too.  😉

xtine

Fritz has been more and more interested in TV of late.. he actively watches a lot of programmes.. he will always wake up to anmal noises and show some interest.. but he has a liking for football at the mo…  :-\ doesn’t get off the sofa, but is definitely watching  :yes:

Diesel73

The 2 boys i got now only respond when few things are shown/heard on tv.
    1-if there’s a wolf/dog howling, IFFFF it is real. The new vodka -‘from the land of the wolf’ -wolf crying is a fake, they do not respond to it. (barking in any way usually makes no impression on them)
    2-the themesong from Jaws. Boys curl up on the sofa waiting for me and my bucket of snacks  ::) .
    3-if a doorbell sounds symular to ours.
    4-……..*sigh*……Lassie, the kids love him but  :confused: ….. Diesel hates Lassie with a capitol H.

*Lassie*

4-……..*sigh*……Lassie, the kids love him but  :confused: ….. Diesel hates Lassie with a capitol H.

Perhaps it’s because ‘Lassie’ is not a girl but a boy dog 😉 ;D
    My two howl to different tunes on the telly ::)
    Willow STILL goes mental if son hums the jaws theme but takes no notice of the music on the telly

melinda

I actually sat down and watched Lassie with Simba, I was hoping she’d get some tips… but she’s still useless!  We’ve changed her job description to ‘Ornament’… although she does a darn good job of being a bedwarmer too (she sleeping with mummy at the moment while daddy is away)  😉

Last night Oscar enjoyed watching more doggies on tv, it’s so funny.

He cocks his head in such an OTT way that I can’t help but laugh when I see him do it, it’s so cute.  I keep half expecting a Scooby Doo type voice to come from him in ‘wat dat, woo woo’  ;D

Customers shih tzu watches it – her fave is paul o grady she never misses a show.

And the lion man she likes that – anything animal related and she can clearly pick up whats going on be it the music or the sounds etc i dont know but she always starts barking if anythings in danger lol!

Honey doesnt watch it but she ALWAYS knows when rugby/football is on and wont come in the room – think its the crowd cheering she recognises?

Diesel73
    quote :

Honey doesnt watch it but she ALWAYS knows when rugby/football is on and wont come in the room – think its the crowd cheering she recognises?

She thinks ‘damne, there are those fans of mine again! And this time they came in numbers again…. it so hard to be a diva  ::)’ bwahahaha  😀

quote :

Perhaps it’s because ‘Lassie’ is not a girl but a boy dog 

Could be the reason. I don’t know, he doesn’t mind other dogs on tv. Specially when my son goes  ‘Dies in colour on tv!’….. Diesel ready to EAT the tv  ::) .

sukasud

2 of our dogs love to watch tv @ times too depending what it is
    [img width=468 height=313]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/DSC_6006.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=313]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/DSC_6007.jpg[/img]

If a cat comes on tv or makes a noise they  get really excited & look for it.  😀

Anonymous

aww i love those pics  ;D ;D

Diesel73

Suka! Awesome hahaha!

xtine

[quote author=sukasud link=topic=14886.msg273514#msg273514 date=1258034702]
     2 of our dogs love to watch tv @ times too depending what it is
    [img width=468 height=313]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/DSC_6006.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=313]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/rosegallagher/DSC_6007.jpg[/img]

If a cat comes on tv or makes a noise they  get really excited & look for it.  😀
    [/quote]

ha ha.. brilliant  ;D

Hi,

Bonnie definately understands “small moving things must chase them” and will look behind the TV for them – she did it on my last homecheck and had the potential adoptee in stitches !!!

Claire x

chip

your dogs are so funny.

lyechin2002

Your dog is really cute… and funny :surrender:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime