Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Doug has broken his leg : (

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Doug has broken his leg : (

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Izzie

From  Bev:

give her my best…tell her the pot levels and the urea levels are norm for a dog that has been in pain since thursday with no op being done…and yes …clumbers and thyroids…but…no meds yet ….this first then that investigated…clumbers have a lower thyroid reading than most dogs so it prob normal…so no sups if he was mine….tell he likely most likely does not have hypothyroid probs…this is why we give them seakelp…. get out of oh dear mode and start telling vet what is norm and not…remind her this is the vet that had never seen a clumber….give her my best…tell her the pot levels and the urea levels are norm for a dog that has been in pain since thursday with no op being done…and yes …clumbvers and thyroids…but…no meds yet ….this first then that investigated…clumbers have a lower thyroid reading than most dogs so it prob normal…so no sups if he was mine….tell he likely most likely does not have hypothyroid probs…this is why we give them seakelp….so she has to get out of oh dear mode and start telling vet what is norm and not…remind her this is the vet that had never seen a clumber….

if they wait for the urea and pot levels to stabilise they will be waiting forever….they need to get on with it

if they wait for the urea and pot levels to stabilise they will be waiting forever….they need to get on with it

Dougsmum

Thanks Bev. I have to admit i’m in a bit of a state at the mo so please bear with me.  :'( :'( :'(

I have just spoken to the Orthopedic Surgeon. He is concerned because he said his Thyriod levels are lower than the lowest point or something. He said he never normally operates on a dog with a Thyroid problem and told me that it slows the heart rate down alot and he is concerned about the Anethestic… he has said he can wait another day or two to see if his levels increase, but obviously the longer he leaves the break the harder the surgery will become, and obviously Doug is uncomfortable. He’s pretty much said the decision is mine. He is happy to wait and monitor him and see how he is tomorrow on the supplements.

I don’t know what to do for the best.

He has to have the op either way. I think he is on pain relief, sorry alot of pain relief and quite sedated.

The surgeon seems like he knows what he’s doing (lets hope so eh) but he is obviously waiting on the go ahead from me.

what do i do?

He can do the op tomorrow with his levels still low or wait until Tuesday with the chance that his levels have increased

sorry for the waffle. hope it all makes sense,

Thanks all xxx

Dougsmum

Just wanted to say thanks for the well wishes everyone. means alot  🙂

Dougsmum

The Surgeon has just emailed me the Thyrpid results but they mean nothing to me, does anyone know what is a normal level?  ???

Sarah Jane

OMG oh nooooo

This is just terrible hugs to your doug Jayne..i feel for you i really do, Doug is Teds litter brother there must be some weakness there …honestly Jayne you will go to hell and back but its all worth it in the end
    Are you still over seas or are you back home with Doug who’s doing the opp
    Teddie fell just the same forward with his leg to the side we couldn’t believe it at the time so much damage..poor fella give him a big hug from usxxx

Izzie

[quote author=Dougsmum link=topic=14775.msg272674#msg272674 date=1254066862]
    The Surgeon has just emailed me the Thyrpid results but they mean nothing to me, does anyone know what is a normal level?  ???
    [/quote]

Put the results up, Val and Bev will know

Dougsmum

Ok,

i have no idea what these test results mean but this is what ive received.

Which one is the Thyroid?

T4 = < 6 nmol/L 14 – 52
    CHOL = 3.6 mmol/L 3.2 – 7.0

they are both in the ‘normal’ range under what they have sent me (they’re on a little graph)

and then the rest…

GLU = 103 mg/dl 60 – 115
    BUN = 22 mg/dl 10 – 26
    NA = 149 mmol/L 139 – 150
    K = 3.8 mmol/L 3.4 – 4.9
    CL = 118 mmol/L 106 – 127
    HCT = 33 % L 35 – 50
    HB = 11.2 g/dl L 12 – 17

the last two the HCT and the HB they have highlighted as ‘low’ is this the thyroid?

please can somebody explain theseresults for me? i would appreciate it hugely…I have no idea what to do about this poor dog.operate tomorrow or tuesday or what

help me somebody

god i wish i was in england now…  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

thank you xxx

*Lassie*

T4 is the thyroid 😉

Dougsmum

his T4 says normal though?

what are the low levels then?

Izzie

I think and I hope Val will correct me if am wrong

[quote author=Dougsmum link=topic=14775.msg272677#msg272677 date=1254071237]
    Ok,

i have no idea what these test results mean but this is what ive received.

Which one is the Thyroid?

T4 = < 6 nmol/L 14 – 52 Thyriod
    CHOL = 3.6 mmol/L 3.2 – 7.0Cholesteral

they are both in the ‘normal’ range under what they have sent me (they’re on a little graph)

and then the rest…

GLU = 103 mg/dl 60 – 115Glucose
    BUN = 22 mg/dl 10 – 26Blood, Urea, Nitrogen
    NA = 149 mmol/L 139 – 150Sodium
    K = 3.8 mmol/L 3.4 – 4.9Potassium
    CL = 118 mmol/L 106 – 127Corpus Luteum
    HCT = 33 % L 35 – 50 Hematocrit
    HB = 11.2 g/dl L 12 – 17Hemoglobin

the last two the HCT and the HB they have highlighted as ‘low’ is this the thyroid?

please can somebody explain theseresults for me? i would appreciate it hugely…I have no idea what to do about this poor dog.operate tomorrow or tuesday or what

help me somebody

god i wish i was in england now…  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

thank you xxx
    [/quote]

Dougsmum

But this is showing as normal?

please please please let it be normal… x

Val

Right on Izzie
    OK dougsmum to me these are in range more so for the breed if I was looking at a beardie they would be at different levels the
    HCT = 33 % L 35 – 50 Hematocrit
    HB = 11.2 g/dl L 12 – 17Hemoglobin
    are bloods they will be greatly affected by the condition he is in ie; vets stress broken leg which will be leaking marrow it’s all related.
    I have sent this to Bev as she has the breed and will know more the natural range but IMO this boy needs his leg fixed then after a recovery period re do these tests they will definatly be different by then
    Val

Val

I asked Bev if she would be worried by any of these results her reply

not at all….and he in pain and distress with drip or not much or good food being given i guess….think vet needs to stop bloody worrying about thyroid and get on with sorting that leg before the opportunity to get a decent repair goes out the window….

Dougsmum

Wow

you lot are the best…  :ok:

I’m going to see the Surgeon tomorrow and i will discuss everything we have in here. I’ll point out that Clumbers have lower levels than most dogs and lets see if he can get him in and get him done.

This is it now everyone… fingers crossed for the Clumsie, i’ll keep you all posted.

Terrified xxxx come on Doug

Dougsmum

I meant to say thank you  😉 xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime