Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

ear flap haematomas

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health ear flap haematomas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sony

Hi Wondered if anyone had any experience of haematomas on the ear flaps of their dog?

Val

Usually a dog will get an ear hematomas from shakng its head or scratching its ear because it has an underlying ear problem The scratching or shaking of the ear ruptuers the tiny blood vessels in the ear’s cartilage causing them to bleed under the skin of the ear flap forming a pocket of blood
    They sometimes heal on there own sometimes the vet will drain them.
    They sometimes are bad enough that the ear suffers a deformity
    Val 

sony

Thanks Val.
    I ask because yesterday Rio came home from her usual romp on the moors & when I touched her ear she yelped. On closer inspection I can see a swelling on the ear flap. It isn’t too big & today I can touch it without any problem -I have looked at the ear canal & given it a good rub also with no problem…in fact she enjoyed it!  ::)
    I think she may have either caught the ear in some gorse (on one of her rabbit chasing romps! ) Or when she flapped her ears that morning she accidentally caught it on something.
    As it is Bank Holiday & I don’t think this could be classed as an emergency-I haven’t had her checked with the vet.
    On some vet websites it has been said that these haematomas can be left alone- & the haematoma will resolve by itself.
    I’m hoping that this will happen as Rio is now nearly 10 & IF the only problem is how she will look- not how she feels- then I would forego having to have her go under anaesthetic.
    Just wondered if anyone’s dog had had this & what the outcome & time element involved before the ear improved.
    Thanks once again. 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime