Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Excessive licking

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Excessive licking

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    xtine

Fritz has started this tonight. He has been licking his paws and other body parts all night. I thought it was one paw only but it seems to be more general than that, altho he spent about ten mins on the pads of one paw. He’s been licking me, a jumper… Is very odd. He is also sniffing things a lot… Like digging out his bed as if something there, sniffing himself a lot, sniffing the floor… What is that about? Is it related to his antibi’s? Should we give him a bath tomorrow and see what happens?

Anonymous

hi,

sounds normal “bonnie” behaviour to me lol !!!!!!

but for him its obviously not soooo …

anti-b – yes it could be some kind of immune response, i guess giving anti-histimine would tell you that

could be contact allergy – esp. with pads.  (if its this the a-h will help that too)
    could be bitch on heat and he has the smell all round him

(if u think either of these 2 – i might consider bath / wash bed)

licking you – is this appeasement because you are showing worry about the other licking – he saying it ok mum ????

Claire x

Still think could be his anti bis hun – assuming as you said last night youd checked his toes that no mud or anything like we cut out recently? I wouldnt be too concerned until hes finished tabs give him a few days – but wash his feet just incase  :-*

xtine

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13701.msg260680#msg260680 date=1234774211]
    hi,

sounds normal “bonnie” behaviour to me lol !!!!!!

but for him its obviously not soooo …

anti-b – yes it could be some kind of immune response, i guess giving anti-histimine would tell you that

could be contact allergy – esp. with pads.  (if its this the a-h will help that too)
    could be bitch on heat and he has the smell all round him

(if u think either of these 2 – i might consider bath / wash bed)

licking you – is this appeasement because you are showing worry about the other licking – he saying it ok mum ????

Claire x
    [/quote]
    will wash his bedding and him when he gets in..
    don’t think it’s appeasement, he’s not a licky kinda dog.. is a definite ‘i can smell something.. where is it. i’ll lick that.. sniff sniff’ more licking…
    Nothing in his pads, but not restricting it to there either..  :-\ he’s got 2 more tabs left, so will done with them tomorrow

Anonymous

just a little thought – call your vet and get them to note poss. reaction then next time if they can they should give different a-b 🙂

xtine

He’ still licking  :-\ mostly one paw.. the p[ads.. won’t let us investigate  ::) if we touch his feet he franticly sniffs them and licks.. have big dribble patches where he’s missed and licked the sofa  :-\

hun have you tried any antihistamine and have you fed him anything different what about the dog walker?

xtine

not tried any antihistamine… not being fed anything different  :-\ he only been to dog walker twice since he had his anti bi’s…  :-\

what do i give re antihistamine? i only have zirtek for me.. do i need piriton syrup?

*Nat*

The syrup is full of sugar so I’d give him tablets if I were you, poor Fritz, very odd :-\

Anonymous

i would try AH and if you can possibly bear it a buster collar to break the licking cycle (lick, moist-warm, bacteria (or fungi), itch, lick, moist-warm, bacteria, itch, lick ……)  ……..

claire x

xtine

he is def bothered by something bless him… no sign of redness.. he always been funny about having his feet touched, so hard to judge a reaction :-\.. will put a tab in his brekky then  :-*

*Nat*

How’s he doing Xtine?

xtine

Our dog walker helped me check his paw this morning..pathetic attempts at a growl from Mr Fritz  ::)  😀
    is all pink right deep in by the toes… he was going to have another look in decent light today, haven’t caught up with him yet, will see what he says in the morning….
    I’m not sure what the licking is caused by… whether it might have been a reaction to the tabs and now is sore and a vicious circle.. or if there is something stuck there…  ???
    We haven’t bleached the floors and let him wlak on them or anything like that.. not changed any washing stuff.. am so careful about that kind of thing cause of my own skin… :-\

*Lassie*

Maybe he has bruised in between the toes going over rough ground, now the licking is making the skin sore

xtine

😀 sorry Lassie..  😀 this is FRITZ… rough ground?  😀  😀
    Fritz doesn’t do that… 😀 he a wuss  :-[

will have try and have a look tonight, but our lights are rubbsih cause the bulbs have gone in most of them  >:D  >:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime