Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Fighting each other on the walk

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Fighting each other on the walk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

I cycle with Nacho and another dog most evenings.  They run ahead of me or at the side of me depending on where we are on the route.  If they are ahead of me it is because I have said “on you go” this is particularly good if there is another cyclist or jogger around.  They are under my control at all times.  If they want to pee they pee if they want to sniff they sniff – they are off lead and they can do whatever they like as long as I deem it safe- it is their time too. 

Yes I want them to be under my control but I want them to have some pleasure in sniffing and mooching about and generally being a dog having a hunt. Trotting alongside me for 10 miles cant be particularly interesting for them.

No offence sweetypye because I have no doubt whatsoever you adore your dogs and vice versa but sometimes I think you need to lighten up a bit.  ;D

*Lassie*

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=14212.msg267259#msg267259 date=1242900035]
    When my dog wants to pee he does in fact ask first, but my dogs are only allowed to pee on the lead when I give them permission.

If there is one thing I cannot stand it is dogs that cock their legs on every vertical post.

I am confused as to why you assume my dogs do not meet other dogs, they do!  However they interact with them with MY permission; as you rightly said, they are pack animals, I am the pack manager, so I say what they can do, where, when and how.  Just a responsible pack leader should!

[/quote]

That’s one of my pet hates :yes:
    If I have to take them into town or road walk the last thing I need is Tam scent marking shop doorways or people’s dustbins etc
    Have seen people take dogs round the market stalls or car boot sales and then let the dog mark the stuff that’s for sale :nono:

I REALLY hate male dogs pissing up everything – like really hate it. Buster doesnt do it when i walk him  :nono: if honeys off a lead i dont mind her mooching and sniffing long as she keeps up- on lead  :nono: if were road walking then were WALKING not stopping every five seconds – she dont ask if she wants a pee though just stops dead little cow amazing how much it hurts my arm when she does that despite her being so little  ::)

Sweetypye

No offence Mudgie but you do not compete with your dogs at national level do you?

therefore cycling for you and your dogs will be a totally different experience than it is for me and my dogs.

the same way cycling for leisure is entirely different for training to compete in either road or velodrome races.  :agree:

There is a great deal of difference between training for competition fitness in an athletic pursuit (whether that athlete is an equine, canine or human) and just pootling about. 😉 😉 :ok:

haha me and HOney pootle – and never on a bike – Honey rides in a basket on the bike though – well she used too  😀

My pooch does alot of high level training/work but she does love a good pootle to relax  ;D
    Suz i can just imagine Honey being chauffeurd around  😀  :-*

Honey loved being biked to work – thinking back it might not have been very safe but we never had an accident – she just used to curl up on the blanket and lay down – and if it rained I covered her over with another blanket and she stayed warm and dry for the 15 minute ride to work  😀

xtine

[quote author=SuzAndTheDiva link=topic=14212.msg267305#msg267305 date=1243020197]
    haha me and HOney pootle – and never on a bike – Honey rides in a basket on the bike though – well she used too  😀
    [/quote]
    😀 😀 😀 I can SO see modom in a basket  😀  ;D

Anonymous

🙂  Just wanted to share this with you.  Had a dog trainer round this evening who also is part of a local dog training group.  I had got in touch with her regarding Sooty and Scamp and their fighting on lead problem (plus insecurity issues).  She was really good.  She soon assessed that the problem was the pack hierarchy – we (make that me) were not really asserting ourselves as the pack leaders and then in the pecking order Scamp & Sooty were not sure where their position was and so confusion was created. We went out on a walk, she walked Scamp next to Sooty and Hubby, instantly Scamp reacted by going for Sooty – She corrected him straight away and told him in no uncertain terms she was not having that (curtains were twitching in the street!) Scamp sat and looked downcast..  This carried on for a short while and each time Scamp reacted he was corrected instantly and soon they were walking together!! I even had Scamp and was able to walk next to Rob for the first time in ages.  Ok it was a small start but its a start.  Scamp apparantley is dominant over Sooty but we are not acknowledging this we sometimes make a fuss of Sooty because we think he is feeling left out but really he is just acting out his place in the pack – so neither dog really knew their place.  This is putting it very breifly of course. So we are off to dog classes on Sunday so that they can get used to working around other dogs.  Looking forward to it and to putting new skills into practice…

Izzie

corrected how????

Anonymous

I normally use a Halti on Scamp whilst Sooty has a slip lead.  She put a collar on scamp (not a check chain) it was like the slip lead but it fits around the neck under the ears (like the halti) which is the part of the neck the mother dog uses to correct puppies and does not choke them like a check chain or choke coller.  Each time Scamp went after Sooty she reacted quick by pulling the lead quickly to the side which caused the collar to tighten slightly then slacken but unlike aforementioned it did not cause Scamp to choke in anyway it just gave him a ‘start’ as it applied pressure again like the Mother dog would do I suppose.  She also used positive verbal commands like NO and he just sat down and looked rather sheepish.  She then carried on with the walk.  Each time he looked as if he was going to start a fight she again used a quick jerk of the lead and a very positive No  which was enough to stop him.  As soon as he was walking without confrontation she would praise him with soft words of Good boy etc.  She has recommended clicker training as well which we will learn at the classes.  Honestly Scamp was a different dog, even in that short time.  He did not show any signs of fear with her infact when we got back his tail was wagging.

Izzie

uhuh

So its still a choke collar – doesnt matter whether its half or full,chain/leather or material.

I am not surprised he was different,  if she half choked him

Anonymous

I can assure you he was not being choked at all perhaps I have not described it very well.  What would be your suggestion?

Izzie

[quote author=scoobydoo link=topic=14212.msg267311#msg267311 date=1243028723]
    She put a collar on scamp (not a check chain) it was like the slip lead but it fits around the neck under the ears (like the halti) [/quote]

if it goes round the neck and can add pressure to the throat its a choke collar

Anonymous

Think we will have to agree to disagree on this one!  Clicker training will also be taught at the classes – any views on that?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime