Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Fireworks

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Fireworks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    WinB

Dreading firework night..GSD is so scared she hides in bath….think we should go to France…wish it was kept to just 1 night a year instead of 2 weeks of it…..omg then New Year !!!!!

Bye all

WinB

kizkiznobite

hi and welcome…how about an intro post  🙂

have you tried the crash bang wallop cd? dap diffusers dap spray etc…

WinB

yep the only thing we haven’t tried is pills  and I do not want to try  them  yet..last year we had the cd playing louder and louder she ignored it but …..Firework night  07……diffusers in for a month, bandana sprayed with  lotion. …a large bone…The first banger to go off…she left the bone and went in the bath then finished up under my daughters bed what is sad is that it takes her at least a week to get back to normal….ah well guess we will have to just help her best we can…
    Take care

WinB

kizkiznobite

you could try st johns wort…liquid…holland and barret…takes about 3 weeks to kick in as an anti anxiety

WinB

Cheers Kiz it is worth a go….I’ll try it…keep you posted

Regards

WinB

*Nat*

Yep we use St Johns Wort for a few weeks before and last year it worked really well  🙂

Bilclarie

[quote author=WinB link=topic=12642.msg244334#msg244334 date=1223415421]
    Dreading firework night..GSD is so scared she hides in bath….think we should go to France…wish it was kept to just 1 night a year instead of 2 weeks of it…..omg then New Year !!!!!

Bye all

WinB
    [/quote]

Lot’s of fire works in France on new years eve :yes: fortunatley the only thing I have to worry about is the sheep the dogs are fine.

kizkiznobite

that brings to mind the sheep in the film babe  ;D

Izzy was sleeping on the sofa on monday night when a firework went off right outside the window.  She shot up doing a really startled bark, you know the one where it sounds like they cant quite get it all out, wowooooooooooooowooooowoof! then she spent a good 2mins grumbling and looking at the ceiling  ::)  she obviously got a fright being asleep coz she isn’t scared of fireworks or anything, hope this isn’t going to be an issue next time  :-\

kizkiznobite

thats what happened with loulou and cubert the other morning when those huge ones went off..in day light and the rain… ::) she should be ok as long as you didnt re-enforce it..

joker

Wow what part of the country do you live in? 2 weeks and then at new year? we have them non stop from september till january and sometimes later! then we have them for every asian party that is thrown, plus diwali, try living near heathrow!
    My dogs are generally not too bad bar a couple who are absoloutely terrified and spend their lives huddled in a corner! tried the cds the homeopathics the lot nothing helps.
    Signed every petition going but know full well im wasting my time as the fireworks will never be banned they make too much money out of them, and i am sure they are getting louder each year despite the regulations on them, and try calling the police to report fireworks being let off at 2am, they dont want to know, far more important things to deal with, which make the regulations abit pointless.
    But musnt moan, it certainly wont get any better!
    Lyn

ellnkayvee

We had a greyhound who was terrified of fireworks.We made her a  ‘hat’ which really worked.First put cotton wool in the ears,cut the toe out of an old thick sock,then pull over the nose and eyes to the ears.it blocks out the noise,but doesn’t restrict them in any way.It looks a bit odd,but is effective.

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12642.msg244376#msg244376 date=1223457372]
    thats what happened with loulou and cubert the other morning when those huge ones went off..in day light and the rain… ::) she should be ok as long as you didnt re-enforce it..
    [/quote]

No way, Meg used to be firework phobic so everyone was well warned NO reinforcing at all with Izzy  p:-) My mam is terrible for wanting to ‘ahhh’  >:(  :nono:

Anonymous

Hi,

i completely cured one of my dogs from firework fear just by stopping re-inforcing it and keeping calm myself 🙂  we have gone from hiding, pooing in house, squeaking, barking, digging etc …. to maybe a little trot about and an uff uff once or perhaps twice !!

Claire x

Buster finally over his firework phobia – he so bloody deaf he doesnt even hear them  ::)

Honey is well HOney – noise phobic and isnt going to change, but we had a couple last night and i stuck the ‘bandage’ thing on her – she calmed quick – infact soon as she saw me going to the draw she ran over and stood to have it on………trouble was wasnt any fireworks afterwards to ‘test’ it.

I have tried not re-inforcing it – shes worse, i tried for a good couple of evenings – i thought she was going to have a heart attack, shes happiest if either myself (or my dad and its my dad she REALLY wants)  or my dad, will cuddle her and she will calm down – st johns wort helps, must get that out and start giving actually.

is as always going to be a nightmare time making sure she doesnt escape the house and get killed by a car  :'(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime