Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

For GSPmad, Nick and me

Home Archive Forums General Category Gossip For GSPmad, Nick and me

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Diesel73
    quote :

but I thought the languages were French, German and Dutch

Teri, you are correct. Flemish is based on Dutch. We can understand the Dutch literally. Every word. But Flemish is sort of a mix of Dutch with French, German and even some English words. When we speak amongst eachother the Dutch don’t understand a word we’re saying  😀 . We have lots of province dialects, and sometimes we don’t even understand eachother  😛 .
    Official the Flemish language is called Dutch. Although the Dutch would say what we speak is not Dutch, and Flemings say we speak Flemish  😉 .

Where were you in Belgium, Teri?

If my accent apears to be the same as the admin’s, than thank you Nick. Means my English really isn’t that bad at all  😀 . But what do you mean by accent? Just curious  😉 .

GSPmad

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=12931.msg248747#msg248747 date=1225630726]

quote :

Terry, you are correct. Flemish is based on Dutch. We can understand the Dutch literally. Every word. But Flemish is sort of a mix of Dutch with French, German and even some English words. When we speak amongst eachother the Dutch don’t understand a word we’re saying   😀 . [/quote]

Neither would I. Don’t understand Dutch either. All double Dutch to me.  ;D Only Dutch I know is telefoon = telephone and uit = out. And only Flemish I know is….. none at all.  😀

quote :

Where were you in Belgium, Terry?

[/quote]

I THINK we were in Antwerp. But I’m not sure.  :-\ Will need to check with my mother. Was my first time abroad – all very different.  😮 It must have been somewhere in Belgium that was near Holland because we were camping in Holland – I seem to remember we got the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland and were camping near there. And I got some stickers saying “Antwerpen – Hoofstadt van Europa” – but they might have had the stickers in places that weren’t Antwerp. It was a nice day, nice place and nice cafe, that’s what I remember.  🙂

Means my English really isn’t that bad at all  😀 . [/quote]

Your English is excellent Diesel.  :ok: :agree: Much better than my Flemish.  😀

Diesel73
    quote :

Neither would I. Don’t understand Dutch either. All double Dutch to me.  Only Dutch I know is telefoon = telephone and uit = out. And only Flemish I know is….. none at all. 

O yes you do, and much more than you know  😛 . Cook, car, wheel, bell, aquarium, fish, open, and muuuch more. Sometimes written slightly different but pronounced as good as the same  😉 .

If i would speak slowly to you, you might not understand every word, but you’ll understand what i am saying  :yes: .
    Have a mate who’s Scottish. After all this time, still don’t know where he from. Sounds like ‘hmmublemflummble-itch’  :-\ . He didn’t speak more than 2 words Flemish when he and his wife moved over here. Writing still sometimes difficult for him, but when he was here 3 months, he could go to pub and just conversate with us just fine :yes: .
    Just is sometimes confusing when we go like ‘i got an old pie hanging on my bicycle, it really makes my clog break. Could cry with my hat on.’ He goes like  :what: .
    We use a lot of old expressions 😉 .

quote :

And I got some stickers saying “Antwerpen – Hoofstadt van Europa” – but they might have had the stickers in places that weren’t Antwerp. It was a nice day, nice place and nice cafe, that’s what I remember. 

Bwahahaha  😀 , yes, those hoofdstad van Europa stickers hahaha. They do sell those all around the province of Antwerp. But if you were in a real city, than it probably was Antwerp. The only real big city in that provence  😉 .

Anonymous

so what does it mean … the sticke r?????

GSPmad

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12931.msg248787#msg248787 date=1225637499]
    [/quote]

sorry think it was Kulturell (sp) Hoofstadt van Europa. It’s something like culture capital of Europe I think?  :-\

GSPmad

don’t know if it was a real city. it had cars and houses  ;D – and a very dubious sign in one of the windows which i won’t repeat on here  ;D and i think a fountain – but i may be confusing it with other places we went on that holiday cos i know we went to places in germany with fountains.  :-\ but it might just have been a town.  ???

GSPmad

what language do they speak there diesel? think the people in the cafe spoke english so it didn’t matter, but i thought it was dutch from hearing people on the street?  :-\

Diesel73

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12931.msg248795#msg248795 date=1225639257]
    [/quote]

sorry think it was Kulturell (sp) Hoofstadt van Europa. It’s something like culture capital of Europe I think?  :-\
    [/quote]
    Culturele hoofdstad van Europa is indeed Cultural capital of Europe  :yes: . Culturele can be speld with a K or a C. Written language Dutch changes constantly  ::) . Every few years we got new dictionary with new spelling. Braintraining i guess  😛 .

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12931.msg248797#msg248797 date=1225639559]
    what language do they speak there diesel? think the people in the cafe spoke english so it didn’t matter, but i thought it was dutch from hearing people on the street?  :-\
    [/quote]
    Yup, dutch. Is pretty easy to recognise. We got a rolling R, with a lot of oi’s ai’s and ay’s in our words. The walonian speak french and have the typical french R. The Luxemburgers speak German with a typeecal zsherman R  😉 .

quote :

don’t know if it was a real city. it had cars and houses  – and a very dubious sign in one of the windows which i won’t repeat on here 

Than you were most deff in Flemish part of Belgium  😀 .

GSPmad

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=12931.msg248830#msg248830 date=1225648394]
    [quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12931.msg248795#msg248795 date=1225639257]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Culturele hoofdstad van Europa is indeed Cultural capital of Europe  :yes: . [/quote]

[quote author=Diesel73 link=topic=12931.msg248830#msg248830 date=1225648394]

quote :

don’t know if it was a real city. it had cars and houses   – and a very dubious sign in one of the windows which i won’t repeat on here  

Than you were most deff in Flemish part of Belgium  😀 .
    [/quote]

😀 😀

*Nick*

Flew into Brussels, stayed at the Bauhaus youth hostel in Bruges…couldn’t understand a single word of whatever language everyone was speaking so I pointed and gestured a lot..no problem ordering beer though….loved Liefmanns (sp) framboise…hated some goddawful trappist monk beer that I think was 12 % alcohol

by accent I mean the sentence structure and general feel from the written word, that’s all. 

Diesel73

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12931.msg249156#msg249156 date=1225749418]
    Flew into Brussels, stayed at the Bauhaus youth hostel in Bruges…couldn’t understand a single word of whatever language everyone was speaking so I pointed and gestured a lot..no problem ordering beer though….loved Liefmanns (sp) framboise…hated some goddawful trappist monk beer that I think was 12 % alcohol

by accent I mean the sentence structure and general feel from the written word, that’s all. 

[/quote]
    Ahyes, understand now.

Brussel is suposed to be bilingual but is not, mostly french speaking there. And Wallonian not famous for speaking anything else than Waals. Brugge…. very heavy dialect, that’s true  😀 . But normally you come far if you speak English. Lot of English tourists every year. Most ( minus 50 in age :embarrass: ) speak atleast some English  :-\ .

Framboise is good  :yes: . Trappist is not my favourite either, although it tastes a lot better with some Grendine in it. Makes the bitter ickytaste go away.

Didn’t try Duvel, mort subite or forbitten fruit? Forbitten fruit most heavy beer, but the taste is muuuuch better.

GSPmad

my mother “thinks it was Brussels” but it “could have been Liege or summat”. Does that help?  ;D

Diesel73

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12931.msg249986#msg249986 date=1226073847]
    my mother “thinks it was Brussels” but it “could have been Liege or summat”. Does that help?  ;D
    [/quote]
    Well…. Brussel is our capitol, Liege’s name is Luik, and uhm…. not exactly right next to brussel, and ‘summat’, well if it is a place a Belgium than i have never heard of it hahaha. But, since you mam thinks of Brussel and Luik, i think you guys were little all over the place  😉 .Which is not that hard because Belgium is not that big AND advisable cause you get to see a lot of stuff in a small time  :yes: .
    But if you mam thinks it was Brussel, than ask her if she remembers the Atomium. It’s the huuuuge size atome with the 9 orbs. (piece of national pride, worldfamous, no way you go to brussel and can have missed it if you seen it  😉 )
    This Brussel’s atomium; http://www.atomium.be/Gallery.aspx?lang=en&alias=Building
    Does it ring a bell? (link is in English  :-* )

GSPmad

Doesn’t ring a bell for me Diesel – and forgot to ask my mother.  :-[ Will do if I remember (brain has gone on holiday  >:D ).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime