Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Foxhounds

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds Foxhounds

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Easy with two in the class and only nine total entry.
    Still do not think they make good pets much better suited to the hunt
    Val

[quote author=mad4foxhounds link=topic=12560.msg244352#msg244352 date=1223419569]
    me at crufts with on of the Dazzleby foxhounds winning my class of post grad bitch
    [/quote]

Dazzleby

It is always interesting to read what people have to say regarding Foxhounds.  This is usually based on fantasy rather than fact.  As someone who has been very closely involved with the Foxhound for the last 20 years I think I can speak with a certain amount of experience.  The Foxhound is in fact the canine worlds best kept secret. 

A wonderful healthy breed, with a zest for life and full of love and fun.  Ex pack foxhounds too are normally extremely grateful for a loving home and can in the right hands make a lovely pet.  2 of my hounds are expack hounds and they cause me no probelms, just give total pleasure, in fact they are quite soppy.   None of my hounds ” run off and disappear” because they are bonded to me.  If they love you they are not going to do a runner!!

All my hounds are shown on a regular basis, this is not just to give myself a pat on the back but to show the general public how lovely they are.  They are all great performers and love to meet people and show off.  Contrary to popular belief they do not have to be kept outside in kennels 24/7.  Mine are in and out of the house all day.  At night they are in the house watching the telly with me.

So to the none believers please give foxhounds a chance, if you met them you would love them.

Attachments:

*Nick*

Welcome dazzleby.

I don’t think anyone on here is saying they don’t like Foxhounds, I’m not that’s for sure.  Very few people would have any experience with Foxhounds as pets and it’s good to hear stories such as yours.

However, I don’t think your hounds don’t take a runner just because of their bond with you. I know a few people with sighthounds and hunting hounds that can’t let theim off-lead and they are all very well bonded to their humans, so I doubt it’s as simple as that.

Do you kennel them at night?

Dazzleby

Hi Nick,
    Yes, I do think it is is as simple as that.  Why else do they come back? They know who provides their fun and entertainment, food and accomodation.  They come back because they want to. To the doubters who will say they are not proper foxhounds, these hounds are pack bred, by very good examples of the breed and picked for temperament and soundness and yes, they do sleep in the house at night.   When I am away travelling with them, they sleep on the bed and they snore and like to hog the bed!!

When I have been showing in Ireland I like to run them on the beach at Port Marnock, and it gives me so much pleasure to watch them playing in the sea and racing along the sand.  They absolutley love it. Here are some pics from Ireland.

Attachments:

Anonymous

In all fairness because you have found it so easy does not necessarily make it factual, not all people will find them as easy to manage as you do. I don’t think we have ‘Doubters’, people are just making a reasoned argument because what ever way you look at it pack hounds are not exactly your every day lap dog & not everyone will be cut out for dealing with them.

Sweetypye

I agree with you Mark, the fact is that some dogs are more responsive and handler dependant than others; just because a FEW of a breed can be let off the lead and trained to a high degree by those DETERMINED to do it does not obviate the risk that for the majority having foxhounds as pets is not a good idea.

Just as most sane people do not let huskies etc off the lead………………..

wags

a fox hound would seriouslly send me over the edge

i dont have the want, comitment or the sanity to cope

*Nick*

Lovely pictures and gorgeous dogs Dazzleby.

Also agree with mark, you obviously have the right stuff for a foxhound and they are thriving with you. However, like so many other breeds, the list is very long , but the Border Collie comes to mind first, so few people have what it takes to have a BC thrive.  That doesn’t stop breeders from selling them as the smartest most perfect dog for everyone from a Condo owner to a rancher. Same rings true for Foxhounds, sighthounds, the bully breeds, Rotts, GSds etc etc

Dazzleby

[quote author=Val link=topic=12560.msg242821#msg242821 date=1222602911]
    Whew walk away  :ok: there was only fourteen registered with the KC and I can remember two being shown at Crufts a couple of years ago and the judge withholding all awards
    Val
    [/quote]

If I may just correct the above  statement.  Foxhounds have had breed classes at Crufts since 2001 and no awards have ever been withheld.  Numbers of Foxhounds in the ring in 2001 were small but numbers have been rising steadily.  There are certainly more than 14 registered with the KC now.  As I have said Foxhounds are a very underated breed in the UK, but they are more popular internationally.

As regards training, many of mine have passed KC Good Citizens awards with various different people.  In fact one of my youngsters did her Puppy Foundation Course and then passed her Bronze test before she was 6 months old, she then started her show career in Ireland with an International 2nd in Puppy Group award, then a few weeks later Won the Puppy group 6 scent hounds.  So beauty and brains, and followed it off with a run on Port Marnock beach!!!

All this info can be checked on Crufts website and showdogsireland.com

Attachments:

Dazzleby

Just for the doubters who believe Foxhounds rip every animal to shreds is a picture of an expack Foxhound with a baby lamb and her doing some agility.

Attachments:

Anonymous

How many times do we need to keep telling you we are not doubters? Some of us can handle Rottweilers really well & take them to shows too but that doesn’t EVERYONE can manage Rottweilers.

To be honest i think you’re just missing the point completely.  Nobody is doubting that YOU can manage Foxhounds – what we are saying is that not everyone else can, otherwise how else do you explain the fact that most dog owners have never even seen a foxhound, if they are so easy to manage as pets? :-\

Dazzleby

There are several references on this  discussion regarding Foxhounds killing animals and one that said they would kill your pet dog. This is simply not true.  My terrier rules the roost at my home.  My hounds are very respectful of her and she is nearly 14yrs old.

Most of the posts say they doubt Foxhounds make pets.  The fact is these people have no hands on experience with the  breed it is just guessology.  They do make lap dogs, they love to lie all over you if you let them.

There are many people who could handle a Foxhound well.  However most people do not even give them a second thought as they believe them to be impossible.

The fact is that people who meet my hounds do change their minds, and actually say that they are very intelligent and not difficult at all, and admire their grace, beauty and personality.

I say just give them a chance.

It just a case of people opening their minds and not behaving like sheep.

Anonymous

Yet again you totally disregard the bits you don’t want to read.    Let me try again….. whether people like your dogs or not is irrelevant, NOBODY IS DOUBTING THAT YOU CAN’T MANAGE PACK HOUNDS, all we are saying is that not everybody else is cut out to own them because not everyone finds them as easy as you do, ok? It’s ironic you should talk about people being closed minded sheep when you are only accepting a single point of view – your own. ::)

By the way you still haven’t answered my question. If packhounds are so simple to deal with that almost anyone could own one, then how do you explain the fact that most pet dog owners have probably never even seen one? I mean, if it’s that easy you’d expect at least one or two people to know someone who owns one as a family pet wouldn’t you?

People in the breed who have them as pets living in their homes are the first to give honest truthful answers to anyone who has questions about the breed(this stops anyone just going out and trying to get one with no information about the breed).
    the few websites out there that are pro foxhounds list the hounds needs and than asks IS THIS THE BREED for you?
    the Foxhound is fairly new to the show ring(7years is’nt a long time)this is partly why many of the joe public haven’t seem them.
    Go back to Your own breeds early days, how many people would of said they seen that breed than?

Responsible breeding is another factor, with the breeders not being tempted by money ect to over breed, making sure responsible homes are found and the new owners to be, have been vetted and have met a adult foxhound or two, telling them both bad and good points of the breed. also they can see size  temperament ect. if this was not done we would see many more private breed hounds in shelters ect.
    And many huntsman of pack hounds are also responsible in their breeding and upkeep of their hounds, with many not wanting to give away or sell their hounds to just anyone, as they worry for the health and welfare if they were to get into the wrong hands (puppy mills ect) which would in turn spoil a good healthy gene pool.
    the foxhound like many other hounds, have been bred to be part of “pack” (beagles, grand basset vendeens, bassets and otter hounds to name a few more) but that pack can quite easily be human as well as animal. with a hound bonding well to it’s family.
    loyalty and honour are a big factor to a hound. this is why a foxhound is versatile in it’s role either as a showman, huntsman, or family member. (with many being able to do all three)
    with foxhounds wanting to please it’s “pack/family” in every task you ask of it.

Anonymous

[quote author=mad4foxhounds link=topic=12560.msg245703#msg245703 date=1224285918]
    People in the breed who have them as pets living in their homes are the first to give honest truthful answers to anyone who has questions about the breed(this stops anyone just going out and trying to get one with no information about the breed).
    the few websites out there that are pro foxhounds list the hounds needs and than asks IS THIS THE BREED for you?

[/quote]

Exactly, because even the breeders accept that not everyone will be cut out to own a pack hound & that was the point i was trying to make. Thanks for confirming that for us.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime