Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Free Shaping Snoozy

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    kizkiznobite

good one claire – got a challenge for you when you not tired ;D get it the other way as in lying down and bottom up then stand ;D ;D ;D

Gracie

was doing this todat with gracie, she very quickyl laid down on the mat, knew what i wanted her to do, but then i was like ‘ how do i get ger off the mat to cue her onto it again DOH throw a treat away from the mat!!!!!!!!
    i was just waiting! God im so dense!
    will try that again properly tomorrow ;D

kizkiznobite

;D bet she was laying there and saying and….and….and…….and…….and……AND!!!!!!!!!

Gracie

YEP!, in the end she got up and walked off! not a good end to training!
    ;D

Gracie

ok, did the snoozy today and she learnt it in about 5 mins!
    just a quick question, the ‘snoozy’ mat should that be taken away when not in use or can it be left laying around?
    i also want to thank minpin for sharing the vids with us, as from reading kizs posts thought i understood! but it want untill i saw the vids that i really knew how i should be doing it! thank you ;D

kizkiznobite

until it is fluent and reliable without hesitation on cue then all freeshaping objects should be moved as soon as the session is ended – this is because the dog will carrying on working after you have stopped and then may lose what has been learnt due to not getting a reward 🙂
    my snoozy is 2″ square now and fits in my pocket – so when i want one /all to snoozy if i put that down they see it as a visual cue and go lie where it is – gundogs should be trained this way in MHO to lay down or sit at peg – try telling the old boys that ::) oh and the sit on a snoozy? i use a different colour! and ami’s special trick – put down the snoozy cue – she walks over picks it up lies down where it was gives a biggggg sigh and goes to sleep with it in gob ::) daft dog

kizkiznobite

it is soooo hard to type an exercise out – sometimes i time out on the post haha it takes me so long – glad it has helped and the minpin family are sooooo tecky – and andrewminpin has sorted out all the probs i had caused on my new comp  – like having word on twice and works 8 on doG knows how many times and 2 firewalls and……………………….oh and printers i havent even got!!!! 😮 :-[

Gracie

good idea to have summit small that you carry around, ok ive been cueing her to a well its like a padded dog bed! not her actual bed, and this thing has been up in loft, for a while.
    but ive only done one session so far, should i find a diff blanket to cue to, as would be good to be able to take summit with me to friends etc houses, instead of lugging the thing im cueing her to now
    what i  mean to say is it best/easier to change blanket now, or to get it reliable, then change.
    bless ami, at least she lies down where you put it! ;D

kizkiznobite

i start with a metre size piece of vet bedding then gradually reduce it’s size until left with the small square – if you get it really firm you can use it for loads of stuff – getting a fast in the car – picnics – the beach – visiting etc. when you change put down what you have been using – do about 6 with that – then lay the vet bed on top do about 6 again – you may have to back up ie start with interaction or just touching it – until it is fluent again – the remove the one underneath.

Gracie

ok thank you 🙂

Prem2Pram

[quote author=gracie link=topic=3830.msg50806#msg50806 date=1151747113]
    ok, did the snoozy today and she learnt it in about 5 mins!
    just a quick question, the ‘snoozy’ mat should that be taken away when not in use or can it be left laying around?
    i also want to thank minpin for sharing the vids with us, as from reading kizs posts thought i understood! but it want untill i saw the vids that i really knew how i should be doing it! thank you ;D
    [/quote]

Gracie I’m so glad you found the vids helpful, if it benefits just one owner and dog then it wasn’t a waste of time / energy.

I have understood the concept of free shaping far better since watching Kizzy working with the minpins and the vids are great for me too as I can go back and watch them if I ever feel unsure or forget exactly what I should be doing.

cjane

Just been read this thread and the other one that have been moved, with the video clips, and wanted to say thank you for making them.  They are very useful.  It’s very difficult understanding some of the clicker techniques from a written description, but these vid clips make a lot of things a lot clearer.

many thanks
    CJ

kizkiznobite

u welocme – it is difficult to write out some of the exercises ;D

so…..you got the snoozy yet – my fastest time on a collie pup – 4 minutes for concept – 3 minutes to cue – 4 minutes for changing the location of the mat to anywhere in the house including out of site ;D but that not a challenge – go at the dogs pace – it’s just collie pace is usually fast haha – often faster than i can work 😀

toppy

i’ve only just found this post, and its just what we need, as we have quite alot of kids that come to play not all of them like milly’s addiction to children, or when we eat the dog sat at your feet giving you that puppy look!  ::) so this seems the ideal thing!

Just wondering as milly is 33 weeks, how long do you think it will take her to learn this!?! she seems quite quick at learning some things but slow at others! and do you need to keep the sessions to 10mins still?

kizkiznobite

does she you already know the clicker and how to freeshape

once/if you both do then it should take no more than about 4 x 10 minute sessions to get the behaviour to the point of cueing

good luck ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime