Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

German Shepherd

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dog Breeds German Shepherd

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Not a good thing have a look in bevs food rant, I would think she more than likely has an inner ear problem
    Val

[quote author=x.dodger.x link=topic=7101.msg139585#msg139585 date=1176996026]
    I’m guessing thats a bad thing! ???
    [/quote]

Marilyn

Hiya

I have only just joined and found this topic very interesting. I have had 3 GSDs previously and now own 2 youngsters of 19 months of age. As you all rightly say, it is not the actual breed as such, it is how they are brought up. They do need firm but fair handling as they are a very intelligent breed and need to channel that intelligence somehow.

My 3 lads who have gone over the bridge.

[img width=468 height=164]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/marilyngsd/PaintingsofShahJasonwithphotoofD-1.jpg[/img]

Shah: Duke & Jason

[img width=339 height=468]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/marilyngsd/JasonFella1-1.jpg[/img]

Jason

[img width=468 height=351]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/marilyngsd/100_0376.jpg[/img]

Kai & Indy

Anonymous

Nice dogs, Kai & Indy look comfy  😉

lovely dogs, great photo the last one  🙂

kizkiznobite

hi and welcome  🙂

.dodger.

hi and welcome – i recognise kai and Indy from the gsd uk forum ;D

kizkiznobite

would like to see more pics of duke  🙂

Chewy

I went with a freind to chat to two gsd breeders she’s investigating in regard for getting a puppy in the near future. I went as we’d like to get another gsd in a cuople of years and out of interest.
    One of them has adult dogs from champion lines that were imported as pups from switzerland. They had really low sloping back ends. Dont ask me about hip scores but my mate said they were good and the breeder had a waiting list, dogs were lovely.
    She didnt pick this breeder becasue of how low the back ends were, I have to admit it looked almost deformed but the dogs didnt appear to be in any pain.
    The second breeder was just an outright no-no.

I have to ask, tho I’ve had a gsd is it nessacary to have these really low back ends?
    I know my mate said she was looking for the more British “teddy bear” like gsd’s like Hagrid was, with the straighter back.

Just interested in what you lot thought?

.dodger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1LyjlX4Mp8 the pedigree dog programme explains some of it at the end about the german shepherds. Go in at about 6 mins.

You have the english types with the straight backs and the german types who have the roached back. Dodger’s right in the middle with only a slightly sloping back.

Anonymous

I personally prefer the English type seems a silly thing to say about a German breed but thats me I think they look better and are fitter
    Val

[quote author=Chewy link=topic=7101.msg237311#msg237311 date=1219264264]
    I went with a freind to chat to two gsd breeders she’s investigating in regard for getting a puppy in the near future. I went as we’d like to get another gsd in a cuople of years and out of interest.
    One of them has adult dogs from champion lines that were imported as pups from switzerland. They had really low sloping back ends. Dont ask me about hip scores but my mate said they were good and the breeder had a waiting list, dogs were lovely.
    She didnt pick this breeder becasue of how low the back ends were, I have to admit it looked almost deformed but the dogs didnt appear to be in any pain.
    The second breeder was just an outright no-no.

I have to ask, tho I’ve had a gsd is it nessacary to have these really low back ends?
    I know my mate said she was looking for the more British “teddy bear” like gsd’s like Hagrid was, with the straighter back.

Just interested in what you lot thought?
    [/quote]

kizkiznobite

there are pics on here of red….police bred girlie …who is just drop dead gorgeous, sound temperament and healthy too  🙂

Chewy

Oooh I’ll have a gander. Cheers guys

Anonymous

[quote author=Val link=topic=7101.msg237452#msg237452 date=1219349219]
    I personally prefer the English type seems a silly thing to say about a German breed but thats me I think they look better and are fitter
    Val

[/quote]

My first post…(and it’s probably going to draw flak)

I’ve been the ‘part owner’ of my other half’s GSD until we lost her recently. Now we’re in the stages of acquiring a new puppy!

I’m no expert on dogs (I used to breed pedigree cats) but it seems blatantly obvious to me, from a simple matter of physics, that if you breed a dog where its legs and back tend towards a straight line that you are breeding in problems. Let me say, therefore, that I’d NEVER get a ‘German’ type GSD. The puppy we are now getting is coming from a breeder who favours and breeds what I’d call the ‘old-fashioned’ type of English GSD.

To me it’s far more desirable to have back legs that do what they are supposed to do – that is, support the back end of the dog – than try to produce a cosmetic monstrosity where the hip joint is put in a position where, if bred for, is almost certain to increase the measure of hip dysplasia. Why try and breed a dog to be a cripple?

I stopped breeding cats because the judging of Persian cats (which I bred) became so stupid. Although not specifically mentioned in the breed standard it became the norm to award prizes to Persian cats whose noses had been bred almost flat. Now it happens that cats have a channel running down the side of the nose which drains tears from the eyes. Breeding in a flat nose meant that the channel deformed to that extent that it couldn’t do its natural job and thus started a whole load of eye problems. I didn’t want to breed animals that were going to be beset by health problems for the sake of a fashion trend – so I stopped.

The same sort of stupidity seems to be occurring with GSDs. I would happily breed for show – but not while judges distort the standard. If you think I’m wrong on this have a look at the Kennel Club’s page on the GSD standard. There’s a photo there of a dog with a back that neither slopes nor has a pronounced bend in it. Further the breed standard quite clearly states ‘slightly sloping’ back and similarly that the angularity of the hindquarters should be slight.

Yet the judging of this class, again and again, favours a pronounced slope. If that’s the KC standard and, presumably, the photo represents the best of that standard then why are so many judges awarding certificates to dogs that aren’t even close? The only reasons I can think of are either that the judges have an in-built bias because that’s the type of dog they personally breed or they are letting fashion get in the way of the standard.

I was delighted with the recent TV programme which showed the ‘half dog, half frog’ GSDs as it may just help rescue this breed from the misguided practices of some breeders who seem intent on breeding in such a deformity.

Doubtless readers of this forum will endeavour to correct any misconceptions I have.

kizkiznobite

hi and welcome  🙂

errm…think you misread stuff…most of the posters on here do not support the type of back and rear joints as in the programme
    i for one certainly do not…as i have said…there are pics of red..police bred( addy is bright red) who is the most gorg GSD i have seen since my youth..though a bit confused with your post

but it seems blatantly obvious to me, from a simple matter of physics, that if you breed a dog where its legs and back tend towards a straight line that you are breeding in problems

.dodger.

Hi and welcome – i too was a bit confused with your post as you’ll find most people on here are saying the same things as you just have. In regards to the judging side – it is very biased. You get judges who prefer the enlgish types, judges who prefer the germanic type and then there are judges who are all rounders. If you have an english type shepherd you have no hope going into a ring when the judge prefers the germanic type and the same goes if you have a germanic type and you go into a ring where the judge prefers the english types. i do prefer the colour and pigmentation of the top rating germanic type shepherd’s that are out there today but would much rather have dodger’s conformation of the slightly sloping back instead of the awful roach.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime