Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Glens coat

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Glens coat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wags

Glen is my red and white – he has a bit of an obsession for laying out in the sun which in turn causes his lovelly dark brown coat to go ginger (nice)

now Glen being a bit of a goon hates and by hates i mean really really hates being brushed – and because of this its a job i tend to put off – now his coat is in a bit of a minging state hes got a couple of matts in his big hairy chest – ginger bits – big clumpy bits falling out (for want of a better way of describing them) – and hes a bit dirty (seen as hes one of these dogs who can be filthy in a clean field – then never grooms himself at all)

so what i want to know is – if i harrass him with some clippers – and make him all tidy and short haired what sort of effect is this going to have long term on his coat ?

my thoughts on clippering him really are – its going to be a lot quicker than trying to brush him which will cause us both a great deal of stress – and once its done it tidy and i wont have to be working at it for weeks to try to get it right

wags

omg ive made him sound awful – and its not that bad

yes hes a bit grubby, yes hes got quite a bit of dead hair and a couple of matts but ive made him sound likes hes just a great big ball of knots and filth which he isnt

Firstly – if he hates being brushed is a high chance hes gonna hate you clipping him even more – and have you done it before cos unless you can get him clean and brushed out then its gonna look awful – which kinda defeats the object – and yep you could go BALD short and that would be easier to get tidier but hed still look very odd.

as for what it can do to his coat – if hes neutered it could make it go so fluffy it wont ever come back right – if he ot neutered its not SO bad but having said that it would take some time for the coat to look right again.

in all hoesty wags dont do it!! find a local groomer who can handle him – or teach him to like being brushed and i know its a bitch cos my mums collie was the same he was a swine for it!!

wags

hes not neutered no – he needs all the help he can get to be honest so a bit of testosterone cant hurt

the problem with getting someone else to do it Sue is he really hates being handled by people he doesnt know – hes such a bit woose but its due to be harshly handled – it would seriouslly stress him out for someone else to do it 

Izzie

Wags, I can recommend someone near to you.

she understands collies as she has one herself. will pm you x

wags

awsome xx

Val

I can only add Wags don’t do it get a groomer  :read:

wags

lol i thought i was going to get a bollocking then xxx

Val

Arrr you miss my bollocking then  😉

[quote author=wags link=topic=15859.msg279883#msg279883 date=1305232875]
    lol i thought i was going to get a bollocking then xxx
    [/quote]

wags

well i just asumed you were going to shout at me for letting him get so scruffy lol

vernahll5

You shouldn’t have let his coat get to such a condition. Take him to a groomer fast!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime