Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Going Green, Going Cheap

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Going Green, Going Cheap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

ok as the price of everything goes up, from food to fuel. i thought it might be good if we all club together and come up with ideas of ways we can reduce our spending.

i thought of this as i was walking round tesco earlier and realising that they have stopped a lot of their tesco own brand range.

so lets see if we can get some good ideas together ;D

Go on then, you first!  😀

urm……..hhmmmmm :-\ …..

oh oh i know ;D if you change you light bulbs to a low watt energy saver bulb you will save money on your electric

ok whos next 😀 ;D

DawnG

I try to remember to load the washing machine before I go to bed so it is using the cheap rate electricity overnight and if i’m being really efficient I will cook a casserole overnight in the slow cooker.  Last one doesn’t happen that often  ;D

thanks for that dawng i never actually though of doing that, makes sence though 😀 ;D

GSPmad

turn off lights if you not in the room, don’t leave tvs on standby, and don’t shop in tesco cos it about the most expensive supermarket….  😮 😮

*Lassie*

If you have a local market that sells fruit and veg it’s worth going down just before they pack up as they tend to sell off things cheap rather than reload them on the van at the weekend 😉
    If you have a fish stall you can sometimes pick up fish trimmings for nothing or next to nothing.

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12016.msg230519#msg230519 date=1216140946]
    turn off lights if you not in the room, don’t leave tvs on standby, and don’t shop in tesco cos it about the most expensive supermarket….  😮 😮
    [/quote]

so what supermarkets would you recomend? ;D

*Nat*

Am the queen of saving money after the year I’ve had  ::)

[quote author=GSPmad link=topic=12016.msg230519#msg230519 date=1216140946]
    [/quote]

Beg to differ – Sainsbury’s are the most expensive! Asda and Morrisons are probably the cheapest! I shop at Tesco and just recently have been trying alot of their Value range – most of its ok – am being really carefull with food at the mo and am feeding my family of 4 on between £70 and £90 a week  ;D

Buy supermarket fuel – always a couple of pence cheaper than BP, Esso etc!!!  🙂

Walk or cycle short journeys to save on fuel and get fitter  ;D Or car share  🙂

Don’t buy things you don’t need  ;D

Only do wash loads when you have a full load  🙂

Switch your gas and electric – I use Uswitch every year and change to whoever gives me the best deal! I do the same with my phone/mobile  🙂

Share a bath  😀 Or have a shower  😀

doG I could go on and on  😀

Oh………and feed your dogs natural, raw or homecooked – much cheaper ;D

Anonymous

I find Tesco really good actually,  Sainsburys expensive,Morrisons is too far away, Adsa is c**p, waitrose FAR TOO expensive, Lidl & Aldi, went there once had to go to Tesco afterwards as they didnt have half the stuff I normally buy ::)
    and those energy light bulbs, no damn good if you want to find something quickly they take ages to get bright ::)

Share a bath  Cheesy Or have a shower  Cheesy

i like that one ;D

i ussualy spread my shopping between tesco, iceland, lidle, my local butchers and my local veg shop

*Nat*

Yep agree Sue, I love Tesco – Asda is cr*p, especially their own brand stuff  😛  :-X

I actually get my food delivered in that price too – only £3.99 – saves my energy  😀 and diesel  ;D I spend less cos I’m not seeing things and thinking “aw that looks nice I’ll have that”  😀 I just get what I need  🙂 Shame they don’t unpack it all and put it away though  😀

GSPmad

asda hell of a lot cheaper than tesco.  😉 virtually never go to sainsburys.  😛 and don’t do the posh places like m&s or waitrose.  😀

if you live on own – water meter often cheaper than routine water rates – and if suitable the water board usually happy to install them (my house isn’t  >:( ). showers use a lot less water than baths – hence water heating & water use if you got meter. and water companies often do booklets for water saving ideas if you get a water meter.  😉

handwashing uses less water and energy than washing machine – if you got the time.  😉

i have never used a dishwasher – manual washing up cheaper and water saving.

insulation often works out cheaper than heating – for winter time – and sometimes get deals through re that.

only heat water if you going to use it – to wash up, have bath etc (not so good in households full of people  ;D ).

should ask my aunt – she used to have ongoing arguments with the electric company as they refused to believe she used so little electric.  😀

GSPmad

and as for sharing bath.  >:(

remember having to share bath. and cousin always got first dibs in bath. and he minging.  >:D

Anonymous

Share a bath

OOOoooo, any fellas fancy sharing a bath in Somerset – right by the sea???  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime