Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Going Green, Going Cheap

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Going Green, Going Cheap

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    DawnG

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12016.msg230556#msg230556 date=1216149555]

quote :

I try to remember to load the washing machine before I go to bed so it is using the cheap rate electricity overnight and if i’m being really efficient I will cook a casserole overnight in the slow cooker.  Last one doesn’t happen that often  Grin

only if you are on economy 7 – most rates are same day and night now (are you showing your age!!??)

i have one – turn off electric garage door opener (incase u think i am dead posh – we have a 3 bed semi ok !!)

claire x
    [/quote]

I’m only 38 thats not old is it?  ;D  My night rate is about a third of what daytime rate is.

Anonymous

Hi,

hehe – nooo, especially not as its only 7 years older than moi !!

i didnt know companies still did night rates – i remember as a little kid (25 years ago) my mum doing everything on “econ 7” at night lol !!  our rate is a flat rate day and night so worth checking (should show it on any bill) before you build a hive of nighttime industry 😉

Claire x

Anonymous

[quote author=*Nat* link=topic=12016.msg230621#msg230621 date=1216155356]
    Water meter is definately cheaper – we pay £21 a month  🙂
    [/quote]

Sounds good ours is almost £400 a year.

What amount of water do you use daily then Nat? not exact of course 😉 but how many baths, wash loads etc

GSPmad

[quote author=DawnG link=topic=12016.msg230671#msg230671 date=1216196218]
    [quote author=piglet link=topic=12016.msg230556#msg230556 date=1216149555]

quote :

I try to remember to load the washing machine before I go to bed so it is using the cheap rate electricity overnight and if i’m being really efficient I will cook a casserole overnight in the slow cooker.  Last one doesn’t happen that often  Grin

only if you are on economy 7 – most rates are same day and night now (are you showing your age!!??)

i have one – turn off electric garage door opener (incase u think i am dead posh – we have a 3 bed semi ok !!)

claire x
    [/quote]

I’m only 38 thats not old is it?  ;D  My night rate is about a third of what daytime rate is.
    [/quote]

might depend where you live?  :-\ my gran had night storage heaters – used cheaper night time electric – and did washes at night – till couple of years ago when the CH got put in. that’s up in scotland. maybe it depends on your electric board?

GSPmad

[quote author=Rough link=topic=12016.msg230539#msg230539 date=1216146788]
    Share a bath

OOOoooo, any fellas fancy sharing a bath in Somerset – right by the sea???  ;D
    [/quote]

😮 😮 😮
    :-X
    😉
    ;D ;D

shall we cross post?  ;D

wags

[quote author=Rough link=topic=12016.msg230539#msg230539 date=1216146788]
    Share a bath

OOOoooo, any fellas fancy sharing a bath in Somerset – right by the sea???  ;D
    [/quote]

i’ll send Joe  😉

i have econamy 7 electic – loads cheaper at night – but even still its a stupid price

im a bit of a nightmare where heating is concerned – ive always got the windows open – and the last few years ive only bothered with any heating when its been really cold December/Jan sort of time – living in a building with other people ive found our house gets warm by others having their heating on – and you can always put a jumper on  ;D

we seem to be using approx £80 a MONTH – im trying to cut it down

– all washing goes on at night
    – fish tank filter only comes on a night
    – ive got those horrid bulbs everywhere that i have light fittings that will take them (i hate them though BUT they are free IF you just ask

sign up to Martin Lewis – email thingi – he has some really good tips and advice

just before christmas i got roughly £200 pounds worth of toys from Amazon for £60 – all put away for birthdays – and yes they came a good couple of weeks after christmas BUT hey who cares

if you can – reclaim your bank charges – a friend got roughly £4000 after sending just one letter to her bank – im struggling because i need to get all the info off the banks and they are being little b**gers

get an allotment – and grow your own
    ive had to give mine up  :'( – what with one thing and another i was really struggling to find the time for it

walk round your fields and see what you can find
    – ive just got down the wild damsons, blackberries, apples and rasberrys that i picked last autumn

buy a slow cooker – or 2 – ive got a small 3 ltr one and a MASSIVE 8 ltr one – i love my slow cooker

sell on amazon and ebay – in November i put a stack of books on amazon by Febuary i had made quite a bit
    – also do the same with ebay – im a sod for buying cheap stuff and selling it on ebay i.e. a stack of Vtech games that were reduced in ASDA – ive got them on ebay at the momnet with bidders for 3 times what i paid for them  😮

if its not in use turn it off (oh this is so me – my computer is usually on 24/7, as is the radio in the kitchen)

make your own cleaning products – i use water with essential oils

get your vehical LPG – the truck runs on LPG and its 48.6 a ltr thats a fair bit cheaper than petrol  😀 and you get cheaper tax

get rid of sky channels you dont need – do you really watch that much sport that you need the full package ?

for the people with kids – make christmas pressents for them to give to family
    – this christmas i made some videos with movie maker put them on dvds and got some canvas from the pound shop got joe to paint them – everyone was much more pleased with their home made pressys than some kakky present – ive done this sort of thing before as well – we made shapie things with air dry clay one year Grandparents love it  😀

ok not many green ideas – but as you can see im slightly obsessed
    its come from many years of not having any money  😀

GSPmad

forgot to say washing machine – speed wash\ half load buttons if not as much in, and do on lowest heat possible.  😉

Gracie

Waggi what probs are you having with info off the bank, they legally have to send you stmts etc within 90days if you req them cost £10.00 tho, but worth it if you get alot of bank charges, but banks mega busy at min with the charges as all the stmts for all the banks credit cards are held in one central office – you can imagine how busy they are  >:D

wags

just delaying ::)

Sweetypye

I am on economy 7, night storage heaters and all.

I heat my water at night, do my washing at night which saves huge amounts.

My electricity bill is less than £150 a year, even if cold.  I am on a water meter, I pay £7.50 per month DD my standing sewerage rate is higher than my use.

I have a water butt which is great for dog drinking water; I make use of short dated foods and freeze them. LOADS of bargains just before closing.

Supermarkets vary, some items are cheaper in one and vice versa; I pay everying by DD as then I do not have to pay for envelopes or stamps and get a discount.

I recycle packaging, paper, etc for posting/gifts.

Second the moneysavingexpert website and email updates, I hate doing a switcheroo on suppliers, it a real mess of paperwork but we changed telephone suppliers and saved a bit but got a better package too, the thought of gas going up fills me with dread.  Just started paying back my student loan too.  They make out like you won’t notice the payments [or at least they said that when I was doing A levels and making my choices!] but they are pretty hefty.  That reminds me, need to look at work pension plan too booooooooooooooooooooooo!

wags

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=12016.msg230938#msg230938 date=1216400470]

I make use of short dated foods and freeze them. LOADS of bargains just before closing.

[/quote]

i do this a LOT

also some electic etc companies will offer you a discount if opt for paper free billing

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime