Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Grooming Questions Thread!!

Home Archive Forums Sticky subjects Subjects to be kept Grooming Questions Thread!!

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 544 total)
  • Author
    merrow

lol all that fluffing  ;)there are hardly any poodles her apart from standards and well i gotta say i dont no if im quite ready just yet to do that with my small hand help dryer lmao

well as they r such pritty nw poodles i do hope we get a pic of them  ;D

I been grooming westies all day  ;D was good fun  -two westie pups and they were CUTE  ;D

kizkiznobite

ok – help from the groomers please

brose:

is a mess – the lying down to eat as manked up her bib even though we clean it and try to groom it after each feed – it cotted up tight to the skin and i am loath to put her in the bath – also her bum feathers and leg feathers are becoming a real problem due to the shuffling about on the floor – the dilema is she hates being groomed (the bramble at 8 months  ::) ) she goes to bits at the sight of scissors and shakes from head to toe regardless of how much i have tried to get her over the fear she a wuss still – her feet and ears i could prob get away with – she can just about lie on her back but the rest  ???

i am tempted to just do a quick all over with the shaver thingy but knowing how this has affected sams coat am reluctant – have thought about chilling her down but i dont want to really – she wouldnt be able to stand long enough to do it correctly with scissors and she would be mentally upset – to do her bib with scissors means i would have stretch her head up and not sure if she could do that at the moment – can i just shave bib and bum without it causing problems as it grows back?

what would you do with a sick dog?  how would you do it?

Sweetypye

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/acatalog/grooming.html

Short term I will let others answer, but long term, perhaps this book may help with the issues your dog has re grooming?

kizkiznobite

sweetpye – thank you – but i dont have issues groming my dogs as such – i am not the best groomer but that is because i hate the task ( hellen phillips found my essay on the subject very amusing) – but the issue brose has is complex – she has a CS following the puppy incident and is now very ill – as you will see if you read the health threads about her

as such my question to the prof. groomers that are on the board ( accepting that i have rambled but they know my dogs ) is what the effects long term will be on her coat by shaving her and how they deal with grooming a sick dog

🙂

Sweetypye

the dilema is she hates being groomed (the bramble at 8 months  ) she goes to bits at the sight of scissors and shakes from head to toe regardless of how much i have tried to get her over the fear she a wuss still – her feet and ears i could prob get away with – she can just about lie on her back but the rest 

Sorry I misunderstood your post, I thought that from what you posted (above) that your dog had issues with grooming, my mistake.

kizkiznobite

no mistake – she does – as i said – to explain – she got caught up in a huge bramble on her first shoot – she had to have part of it surgically removed – as i said – she has a CS to being groomed – helen helped me through that when i was taught the clicker by her – we have as much repair as we can get – normally i use the click protocols etc and we cope just fine – but she is seriously ill and is unable to cope with stress at the moment – even minimum stress – she has had an intercranial bleed and has weak fore limbs that we are working on
      🙂

Sweetypye

Bummer……..

Anonymous

Bev if the clippers are quick and less stressful use them but only on the bib and bum the feathered coat bit grown back easier than the all over clip that Sam the man had, try not to clip the body or the non fluffy bits, if you have to do the ears take the insided out the outside will grow back but they take forever to feather again
    Good Luck I know how much you love grooming
    ValX

Aww Bev  🙁 Id definately agree with Val – definately only the fluffy bits, and maybe her ears could wait till shes feeling better??  🙁 hugs to you both I know it wont be much fun for either of you  :-*  :-*

xtine

We going to see Suz tomorrow  ;D I get to see Fritz’s bumhole again and he gets to kiss Honey  😀

Fritz bum all clean and tidy again  ;D Honey wasnt having any of it – Fritz tried everything he knew to get her to play – she just ignored him and then told him to f*** off in no uncertain terms-  sorry Fritz she loves you really  :-*

Anonymous

Hi,

well its been a couple of days since the grooming session now and i have noticed William dog has some sore looking bits. 

There is 3 bits all look very much the same the skin (which is usually pink) is now redder but not real angry red and the surface has some clear/slightly yellowy scabs on it like fluid has oozed out and dried there.  There are no obvious cuts or nicks and they are all quite sparsely haired bits (Val and Suz know he has quite a dense coat really) I have checked the rest of his skin and its all finey …

The 3 bits are as you look at him upside down back legs pointing away from you (what a good dog he is) both back legs on the inside “thigh” part where leg is more muscled above knee, one slightly worse than other and on his tummy right at the bottom in the middle just above where his “willy cover” is (sorry bet it has a proper name lol!!) soooo ….

He’s bothering them so they must be itchy I guess – have been putting aloe on …

1. owt else i can put on to make better

2. likely cause ??????  (my immediate thought was shampoo but he isnt like it all over and isnt a generally sensitive skinned dog, next thought something she used to brush him under there has scratched skin and let in the wee nasties (this happened before a scratch he got became infected).

Claire x

p.s. Val I can see those rolling eyes – I just love him an awful lot and worry 🙁  2 lumps are still there but no change – phew !

Anonymous

Could be a few things cheap shampoo, brushed to hard with a slicker, or he’s got a clipper burn off the chippers if she has used then under there.
    Would put Aloe Vera on it the most common is the clipper burn especially as he’s not used to it and he’s a ruff coat
    Val

quote author=piglet link=topic=5578.msg242443#msg242443 date=1222334506]
    Hi,

well its been a couple of days since the grooming session now and i have noticed William dog has some sore looking bits. 

There is 3 bits all look very much the same the skin (which is usually pink) is now redder but not real angry red and the surface has some clear/slightly yellowy scabs on it like fluid has oozed out and dried there.  There are no obvious cuts or nicks and they are all quite sparsely haired bits (Val and Suz know he has quite a dense coat really) I have checked the rest of his skin and its all finey …

The 3 bits are as you look at him upside down back legs pointing away from you (what a good dog he is) both back legs on the inside “thigh” part where leg is more muscled above knee, one slightly worse than other and on his tummy right at the bottom in the middle just above where his “willy cover” is (sorry bet it has a proper name lol!!) soooo ….

He’s bothering them so they must be itchy I guess – have been putting aloe on …

1. owt else i can put on to make better

2. likely cause ??????  (my immediate thought was shampoo but he isnt like it all over and isnt a generally sensitive skinned dog, next thought something she used to brush him under there has scratched skin and let in the wee nasties (this happened before a scratch he got became infected).

Claire x

p.s. Val I can see those rolling eyes – I just love him an awful lot and worry 🙁  2 lumps are still there but no change – phew !
    [/quote]

Anonymous

hi,

i dont think she clippered him val because all the hair is still there and long its just the areas which naturally have much less on him.

i think maybe it was a slicker perhaps as the coat changes very suddenly from thick to nothing – will ask what shampoo she uses 🙂

claire x

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 544 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime