Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

harvest mite advice

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health harvest mite advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bass

Hi my sister has an English setter who’s suffering badly with harvest mites,she’s been to the vet and the vet says there’s nothing to get rid of them only a frost will kill them, she’s  given her some cream to relieve the itching and has been told to try and pick them out which is hard as they are so small, has anyone any idea on what to use to get rid of them as the itching is driving us all mad many thanks

I’m sure thats not true! i’ve had mites remember and my horse suffered from about 4 different kinds there are all sorts of treatments and harvest mites are very very common, i’m sure there is something to clear it up.

kizkiznobite

ooo chiggers – nasty little gits – poor dog, brose got attacked when a pup – the problem is the itching they cause and the the secondary infections – which is what the cream is for – the dogs needs bathing in a standard insecticidal shampoo and then again about 7 days later then again about 14 days later – they infest humans too – i remember them well  ::) all clothes and bedding washed, a good hot bath or shower and coal tar soap – calamine and witchazel is what mum used on us and the dogs – tell sis to keep away from the infected area and she may well have to treat the garden too if the dog has been out there – feed the dog some garlic and give an immune boost – i use vit e and selenium – they also carry bugs nasty nasty yuk

[old attachment deleted by admin]

bass

Hi again the vet told my sister they only lived on dogs and did not transfer to humans, thats a bit of a concern if they don’t as she has three young children and I’ve been visiting with my kids and doggy,is it true there’s no treatment as I said the vet said only a frost will kill them , I thought perhaps wrap some ice in a hankie and apply it to the areas that itch and maybe the ice will kill them, anythings worth a try, thanks again

kizkiznobite

noy go on humans? if they are chiggers they sure can 🙂 the dog needs a bath

bass

I’ll let her know, I’m thinking perhaps she didn’t tell me they spread as my poor doggy’s just getting over ear mites. thanks

kizkiznobite

different breed but immune boosts will help 🙂

Anonymous

How about Benzyl Benzoate?  Used to work 40 years ago.

Trust me they are definitely transferable between animals and people, this quote is from the Patien UK Website, doesn’t say much but there is loads and loads of info in web about them.  The treament i had to use was a cream version of the head lice type treament and as kiz said its a repetative treament, 1 week, 2 weeks then monthly for a couple of months.  If the kids get them they will know because the really really itch.  BUT my horse vet did say they are not that easy to get by people, out of the 3 of us looking after our horse it was only me that got them and that was because i was doing all the hands on treament and didn’t wear gloves because i didn’t know at that time people could get them (neither did my dog vet or my Dr).

Oh and anti histamines did help with the tiching a little.

Harvest mites (Tromboculidae) In Britain during late summer, larvae of the harvest mite (Neotrombicula autumnalis). These are tiny and often not noticed. They attach under tight fitting clothes, feed and then detach causing itchy lesions that are sometimes bullous.

Infestation
    Scabies Caused by chronic infestation with Sarcoptes scabiei var. hominis. Adult female mite burrows through the epidermis laying eggs. These burrows may be 1cm in length. More common in overcrowded conditions and outbreaks can occur in nursing homes and hospitals. Usually acquired by close contact. Usually presents with pruritus appearing approx. 1 month after infestation. May be worse at night and after a hot bath or shower. Burrows usually found in web spaces between fingers and on wrists but can be widespread. Often signs of excoriation and possible secondary infection. Diagnosis can be confirmed by microscopic examination of scrapings from affected area especially between fingers. In immunosuppressed patients, are prone to Norwegian scabies with crusting lesions accumulating over hands, feet and other sites including eyebrows. Treatment is by topical application of malathion or permethrin including treatment of close contacts.

Oh i had the scabies laughs

Anonymous

Benzyl is the treatment for scabies.

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/File/fleasmitesliceticks.pdf#search=%22harvest%20mite%20treatment%22

I used the methalon or whatever its called for mine, took about 6 months to clear us, but harvest mites are not anything near as bad i don’t think.

i know i’m being dense but i recognise the name benzyl? what esle is it used for?

Anonymous

It is the treatment for human and canine scabies.  But it does actually kill everything that crawls – like cheyletiella.

Anonymous

Never without it  😉

[quote author=Rough link=topic=4751.msg71007#msg71007 date=1157707895]
    How about Benzyl Benzoate?  Used to work 40 years ago.
    [/quote]

juliemac2008

Is Benzyl safe to use on my 2 poor Westies who have got this orange warty rash from the ”chiggers”. I hope its not poisonous, what if they lick it ? Please help !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime