80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

help save this dog

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs help save this dog

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    vinya12

Source: Eddie Wrenn/World News Online

Young Ratchet could face the death-penalty by U.S. Army officials

A soldier who saved the life of a young puppy in Iraq and expected to bring him back home with her could see her dog face certain death in Iraq.

Sgt. Gwen Beberg, a decorated soldier, has been held by the military more than 15 months past her original commitment due to the stop-loss policy.  Sgt. Beberg befriended puppy Ratchet while serving in Iraq, and sent regular dispatches to her home in Minneapolis charting the dog’s process, with 100s of fans tuning in on Facebook to follow the pup’s life.

But the U.S. military takes a strict line with soldiers befriending animals, and confiscated Ratchet as Sgt. Beberg prepared to fly home from Baghdad Airport.  Bringing wartime pets back home has always been a haphazard affair. It’s also against U.S. military rules. In Iraq, adopting a stray is technically a violation of General Order 1B

Operation Baghdad Pups, a program run by SPCA International, which has the motto ‘No buddy gets left behind’, is pleading with the U.S. Army to allow Ratchet to fly out of the country – amid fears the dog will die if left behind.

Sgt. Beberg’s mother Patricia said: ‘This year has been extremely difficult on my daughter and her family. It has been a year of disappointments, loneliness, and fear because of all the sacrifices the army has required of Gwen.

Ratchet was the savior of her sanity. Now they have cruelly ripped Ratchet away from her and sentenced him to death. I don’t know how my daughter will cope. Ratchet has been her lifeline.”

Sgt. Beberg is also under military investigation for befriending the dog that saved her life.

A close friend of Sgt Beberg said: ‘It hasn’t been easy for her – and the puppy she saved has been one of the few things that has kept her going.

‘She’s shared pictures of him as he grew from a frightened ball of fur to an adorable young dog.

She’s kept us up-to-date on his travel schedule, and badgered us into contributing money to bring him home.

Soldiers can face immediate court-marshal for befriending animals and some even see their animals brutally murdered by a direct gunshot to the head from commanding officers who will not bend the rules.

It was so close… Ratchet was on his way to the airport.  And now he might not have a chance to be with Gwen and her family, and she might be punished herself because she dared to care about him.

One soldier wrote to Baghdad Pups: ‘I have sacrificed a lot to serve my country. All that I ask in return is to be allowed to bring home the incredible dog that wandered into my life here in Iraq and prevented me from becoming terribly callous towards life.

The SPCA International has asked the U.S. Army to show clemency to Ratchet, and allow the dog to return to Gwen’s parents in Minnesota and friends of Gwen have launched a campaign to get American senators to intervene.
    An international campaign has now been set up to save the Army’s mind

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/clemency-for-ratchet

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime