Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Help Val Suz groomers!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Help Val Suz groomers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    *Nick*

umm ok, does anyone have any tricks on getting out burrs?  We just came back from our walk and she’s covered!  ears, belly, tail , legs everywhere…and it’s causing some distress….I deal with this on a regular basis but I can usually just brush them out but I was wondering if there were any magic tricks?

talcum powder i think Val said – dont quote me, have never come across a dog with more than a couple and they normally pull out easily – Val did a thread somewhere concerning the late night beardie visitor!

*Lassie*

Talc and work them out with your fingers 😉 don’t try to comb them out or they break up , start as near to the skin as poss and ease them out with plenty of talc

*Nick*

bloody hell, don’t have any talc!  thanks u 2,  I’ll keep working at it.  It’s amazing how she thinks this is MY fault somehow!

I’m getting a mexican hairless or whatever those things are called!

*Lassie*

[quote author=*Nick* link=topic=12667.msg244725#msg244725 date=1223665210]
    bloody hell, don’t have any talc!  thanks u 2,  I’ll keep working at it.  It’s amazing how she thinks this is MY fault somehow!

I’m getting a mexican hairless or whatever those things are called!
    [/quote]

Ask your wife she may have some, buy some baby talc next time you are in town. You could try some conditioner or powder starch, it’s to help slide the burrs out of the coat. Willow came home with 7 in one leg and 4 in the other one afternoon ::)

*Nick*

Oooh I have tapioca starch…gonna try that  :gum:

kizkiznobite

with you here nick  ::)

came back from walk yesterday eve….ami limp limp limp…i had done a quick feel over as it big burr time…didnt find a thing…by 10 pm she a misery arse and i am in panic mode  ::)…it her shoulder it def that paw …she aint right…vets for xrays…can’t cope with this…she real misery…curled up on sofa…paw up, leg tucked in… ::)

this am…still the same… >:D ::)
    i found a clump of these damn burrs…real high up …in arm pit ….in fur tight and working into skin…and another broken one in her paw…and more up the fanny  ::) bloody things….

talc really works…get stocked up  🙂

*Nick*

I used the starch, and it worked pretty well. Just kept pulling them apart with my fingers a bit at a time…hard to tell how many she’d collected this time but it was a least 20….was 7 in her tail alone  :surprise:

It’s a constant battle, but it’s become part of the routine…also it gives me a chance to check her over to find out what she’s managed to hurt this time  ….found a 2″ long thorn stuck in her leg once while extracting burrs  ::)

poor Ami, that sounds nasty  :-*

*Lassie*

Nick glad the starch worked 😉
    As Willow often comes home with half of mother nature in her knickers I have started using an anti tangle spray on her once a week, stuff tends to fall out the coat easier and it doesn’t knot so badly. It’s like a conditioner and it smells nice 😉
    You better check with the groomers first whether  it’s OK to use it I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes 😉

Anonymous

it’s a good idea lassie just check it contains silicone as some just smell right and others work right  😮

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12667.msg245315#msg245315 date=1224078676]
    Nick glad the starch worked 😉
    As Willow often comes home with half of mother nature in her knickers I have started using an anti tangle spray on her once a week, stuff tends to fall out the coat easier and it doesn’t knot so badly. It’s like a conditioner and it smells nice 😉
    You better check with the groomers first whether  it’s OK to use it I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes 😉
    [/quote]

*Lassie*

[quote author=Val link=topic=12667.msg245350#msg245350 date=1224089765]
    it’s a good idea lassie just check it contains silicone as some just smell right and others work right  😮

[/quote]

Got the Groomers anti tangle one but they don’t say what’s in it :-\ seems to work though 🙂

Anonymous

All the detangle sprays here contain silicone it’s what makes them slippery but Nick being were Nick is I haven’t a clue what they call it or what is in it
    vAL

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=12667.msg245359#msg245359 date=1224091176]
    [quote author=Val link=topic=12667.msg245350#msg245350 date=1224089765]

[/quote]

Got the Groomers anti tangle one but they don’t say what’s in it :-\ seems to work though 🙂
    [/quote]

*Lassie*
    *Nick*

oooh thanks, i’ll look for detangle spray, sounds like a very good idea

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime