Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Helpful for Vet Visits?

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Helpful for Vet Visits?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    cat_fan78

Hi Everyone,
    One of my cat-loving friends sent me this link a while ago:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EUys0W7yawM

I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but as my golden labrador is quite young, I have a lot of problems trying to get him in a cage/box for our visits to the vet. I ended up trying this product when I was at my wit’s end and it’s done us the world of good. It’s much less of an uphill struggle now and although he still doesn’t like the trip, it’s far less stressful on both of us.

(Sorry if this is taken as advertising, but I really wanted to recommend this carrier. Also I thought the cartoon was hilarious!)

.dodger.

why are you carrying your lab in a box to the vet? :what: You’ve also posted the exact same video in both health, general discussion, jokes and poems and in the training section???

cat_fan78

Hey dodger,

He’s only a few months old but very strong for his age and he just gets too excitable. The carrier calms him down and he just settles to sleep most of the time.

Sorry for the multiple posts but I’m new to the site and I wasn’t sure of the best place to post this message. I’ve been on a couple of other dog boards and they sometimes have a ‘dogs & travel section’. Maybe Dog Club should consider it?

All the best

Anonymous

Why should they? It’s general chat & besides it’s a dog for goodness sake not a Budgerigar. If you can’t manage a puppy that’s only a few months old on a visit to the vet then how are you going to manage it full grown? Perhaps you should get a Goldfish instead.  :-\

*Nat*

Hi and welcome – great carrier for cats or rabbits but I wouldn’t put a dog in one – I would recommend taking your pup in to the vet on a lead to get him used to it, after all he’ll be to big to carry in a box eventually so start as you mean to go on  🙂

cat_fan78

I thought I should respond to this as Mark doesn’t know all the facts. My lab is a rescue dog who was severly mistreated and so is very untrusting of other dogs. He misbehaves purely because he doesn’t know any better, something we are trying to correct. We simply felt the carrier would perhaps make him feel safer. Maybe Mark should refrain from such obnoxious responses in future…

Anonymous

Good for you taking on a rescue but you are not doing this dog any good at all by putting it in a carrier to be honest I fail to see how you can get it in a cat carrier a dog needs a lot more room than this.
    I do not know if you have owned a dog before, but dogs live in the present not the past so you will have to get a whole new outlook if you wish to help this dog, do not think of him being frightened take him out to a dog club get him on a collar and lead met people with other dogs let him find his own courage, what you are doing will turn him into a nervous wreck
    Val

[quote author=cat_fan78 link=topic=13570.msg258881#msg258881 date=1233154550]
    I thought I should respond to this as Mark doesn’t know all the facts. My lab is a rescue dog who was severly mistreated and so is very untrusting of other dogs. He misbehaves purely because he doesn’t know any better, something we are trying to correct. We simply felt the carrier would perhaps make him feel safer. Maybe Mark should refrain from such obnoxious responses in future…
    [/quote]

Sweetypye

I deliberately hesitated before responding to this thread because I could not understand why anyone was taking a dog to the vet in a pet carrier.

I agree with Val, the dog will/can never improve if it is kept away from anything that it might find difficult and in fact as Val has intimated you could actually exacerbate his fears……….

I think carrying or better still having the dog secured in a car crate or via a seatbelt would be more beneficial for the dog and you in the long term.

Hope that does not sound too obnoxious. :ok:

cat_fan78

I feel I should apologise. I’ve just read my post back and the rest of the thread and they come across as a little too aggressive so I’m sorry. I just didn’t like the tone that Mark was inferring although that’s no reason to bring the thread down to such a level.
    To explain though, I wouldn’t normally use a dog carrier in the day to day life; it’s just for the actual trips between the car and the vet’s office and while inside. Also, I only intend to do this while he’s still little; I would never think of putting a dog in a carrier if he wasn’t comfortable.
    I guess my point is that every dog’s different and this seems to be working for us at the moment but I have taken you comments onboard so thank you for your feedback.

Anonymous

Sarcasm doesn’t come accross well on forums but perhaps if you had taken the time to introduce yourself we might have known the facts, otherwise it could easily look like you are just advertisng something.

Eitherway like i said, if you find a puppy of only a few months old so difficult to manage at the vet then how are you going to manage a full grown dog? Seriously you might think you are helping the dog but all you are doing is making it easier for yourself short term – what happens when the dog is too big for the carrier and is still difficult to manage at the vets? You are going to have to grasp the nettle sooner or later.

Anonymous

Sorry it maybe working for you but it’s not working for the dog he needs a collar and lead and to be able to see the world not being stuck in a closed cardboard box.
    I am surpised the vet has not commented as it’s not the norm not even for a Chi pup
    Val

Justine&Rafe

cat_fan…

Don’t take what you read on here as an attack on the way you do things – if you’re new on here I know sometimes it can feel that people are taking you from the wrong angle…

Clearly what you are doing is something you’ve found out to work, but it’s unlikely to be hugely beneficial for most dog owners.

Most of the comments that people have posted back to you are intended to be helpful, and a lot of the people that write on here, particularly the moderators have a HUGE amount of experience working with dogs, so it’s worthwhile listening to their advice!

Look up positive training methods on here, and get yourself going with a clicker – that’ll do your puppy (and your sanity) a lot more good than trying to aviod the issues!  :ok:

deebee

i think you are all being very nice.

Anonymous

I have to admit i was being sarcastic myself, i thought it was someone having a wind up or something. Just seemed like a bizarre first post to make.  :-\

deebee

i was being entirely serious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime