Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

hey

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Goodness me!  Whatever happened to training?  Are owners more interesting in doing what they want to do rather than training their dogs?  :boooo:

wags

:-X

i is keeping me mouth shut

:surrender:

nice self restraint wags  :yes:

however………..

my dog gets excited when she sees her lead – she dont pull – we dont allow it, same principle she pulls we stop – they dont NEED a prong collar, I dont agree with the use because the dogs can be taught NOT to pull without them………

Anonymous

Training is what they need not pain.
    I have walked up to six bearded collies at once and none of them pull not because they were angels but because they were trained

[quote author=kendal link=topic=12968.msg251702#msg251702 date=1226788882]
    i use them because my dog pull when walked together, and  they hated the head hallti.
    we tried it on or neck before they went near our two and thought we would try them. the girls made no fuss and walked beautifully with them on, no whining or hacking/choking and no heavy panting.  for us it just seemed like the perfect choice.
    the girls get exited if i pick them up as they know it is walk time(where as with the haulti they ran a mile)

if the dog is alowed to pull constantly into the collar it has no effect, best thing to do is if they pull when walking let out some slack and stop the dog corrects its self and chooses not to pull. its not pain, just discomfort if they pull.

[/quote]

Mudgie

Hi Kendal

Welcome to the board – as you say everyone entitled to their own opinion – I use a head collar on my dog sometimes if I am at a farmers market or the likes where the reward is high.  ::)  One day I might see if he will stay by my side but I have visions of counter surfing at its best and do not want the humilation or the cost involved.

I have joined the extreme dog walking as I have done Ben Lomond over and over and would be nice to have other doggies to walk with too (oh and their owners  ;D)

kendal

would be lovely to walk with you. please fell free tonpop up photos and tailes of your walks. we are planning on doing Ben lomond again as training for nevis. ;D

GSPmad

if the dog is alowed to pull constantly into the collar it has no effect, best thing to do is if they pull when walking let out some slack and stop the dog corrects its self and chooses not to pull. its not pain, just discomfort if they pull.

can i ask where the one you tried was from as ours were from the US and are rounded so as not to hurt the dog.
    [/quote]

It was a standard one – it hurts when it tightens – and my arm is not particularly sensitive, nor did I tighten (pull) it much. I wouldn’t want one on my neck. I know human skin is thinner than dog skin, but even so – dog skin isn’t that thick…..  :scared: This dog did not self correct and choose not to pull – he just learnt to pull through the pain.  :-\

for the chicken i first held Gypsy muzzle and popped the treat on her nose and told her to stay and leave (you could start it off on you knee or something so the dog is used to looking at the treat but not touching it till you say) then you gradually let go and hope the dog keeps its head still. then use a releases command like ‘OK’  or ‘GET IT’ and they wil either drop their nose so the treat falls to the floor or flick it up in the air and catch it. so much fun :yes:
    [/quote]

Sounds good.  ;D Wondered if you had used a clicker or done it another way.  🙂

Anonymous

[quote author=Rough link=topic=12968.msg251725#msg251725 date=1226821011]
    Goodness me!  Whatever happened to training?  Are owners more interesting in doing what they want to do rather than training their dogs?  :boooo:
    [/quote]

seems that way eh, maybe if people found this site first they wouldnt be misguided by other idiots who know jack s**t about kinder ways to treat and train their pets, (or they probably do but cant be bothered to spend the time training them so just inflict pain instead) there is a member on another forum who has a dobe pup, it wears a prong collar ALL the time, there are photo’s of it on the bed in its cage, having a bath :-X  wonder how the owners feel if they had to wear one & see how it feels >:(

I cant possibly believe that you cant hold 2 poococks without using a prongy, wicked >:D

Anonymous

I always call them Pooers – POO(dle)Cock(ERS) – but it doesn’t have the same ring, does it?  ::)

Mudgie

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=12968.msg251972#msg251972 date=1226924968]
    [quote author=Rough link=topic=12968.msg251725#msg251725 date=1226821011]
    [/quote]

seems that way eh, maybe if people found this site first they wouldnt be misguided by other idiots who know jack s**t about kinder ways to treat and train their pets, (or they probably do but cant be bothered to spend the time training them so just inflict pain instead) there is a member on another forum who has a dobe pup, it wears a prong collar ALL the time, there are photo’s of it on the bed in its cage, having a bath :-X  wonder how the owners feel if they had to wear one & see how it feels >:(

I cant possibly believe that you cant hold 2 poococks without using a prongy, wicked >:D
    [/quote]

Sue lets not be horrible – I was looking for stuff on this board the other day – links to websites and the like and was totally horrified at the amount of posts that become a slanging match.

Lets educate rather than humiliate.

Anonymous

Not being horrible, just saying what alot of other people are probably thinking, we all know what most of us on here think of designer breeds and cruel training aids, dont see the point of being all cutesy cutesy when thats not what we really think.
    Each to their own, but I disagree with both,  just  voicing my opinion. 🙂

kizkiznobite

there comes a point when using any management aid that it will breaksdown….halties…nose collars…prong collars …muzzles etc…all management aids….doesnt teach the dog the correct behaviour…and often it increases the undesired behaviour…we get out what we put in…

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime