Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

I’ve started Clicker Charging today! Very excited!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training I’ve started Clicker Charging today! Very excited!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Crafty1980

Charging update…

Hmm… Well we’ve had FOUR sessions now… and I’m certain Izzy still isn’t “charged”… I think she know’s it’s got something to do with the clicker because as soon as I stand up and hold it, she sits at my feet looking up at me. She doesn’t look back down at the floor at all though…

I will of course continue regardless. I’m not doing it wrong am I?!? Can’t be if I’m following the steps – just re-read them and I am… Maybe the treats aren’t exciting enough?

Is Bev away in Sunderland still? Haven’t heard much from her today!

Izzie

Bev is away till tomorrow, will keep this bumped for you  🙂

This might help? :-\

https://www.resources.dogclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2679.0

Crafty1980

Ahh… haaaaaang on… I think I’ve made a total cock up again… (hmm…sorry… am I allowed to use that phrase here?!?)

So you charge the clicker on every training session??? – i.e. sit training, down training, recall training, etc?? I got the impression that charging the clicker was something you had to do first to get her used to it and was a sort of one off thing!?!? I’ve just been doing the charging bit then nothing else!

Totally confused again now… 🙁

Sweetypye

Sounds as though the dog is already charged to me……..

When you get your clicker and food pot out the dog should be looking at you expectantly, and you should feed the food from anywhere, hand, floor etc.

You only recharge a clicker to re energise a dog that has not been trained for ages or has had something else happen to it;.

Crafty1980

[quote author=Sweetypye link=topic=12112.msg233139#msg233139 date=1217345407]
    When you get your clicker and food pot out the dog should be looking at you expectantly…
    [/quote]

But she’s always done this when I picked up the treat jar even before I had the clicker! ???

xtine

you sound like you are ready to use it for marking trapping behaviours you want now…
    My understanding of charging is so the dog establishes the link between behaviour click and treat… so the ‘penny drops’ so to speak…

have a look for some free shaping threads too.. i have a vid of Kiz free shaping with Fritz somewhere.. I’ll dig them out for you  🙂

Crafty1980

videos would be a VERy good idea! I’m going to hit YouTube now!

xtine

Here’s one.. Fritz learning ‘snoozy’ with Richard on the clicker…

[img width=468 height=382]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/fritzbitz_2006/th_10-06-07_1121.jpg[/img]

Sweetypye

Charging is a term that we use when we want to link the sound of the clicker with food.

that is the whole purpose.

We are not looking for behaviours but for the dog to associate the click with food, so that when we ARE looking to shape behaviours, the dog understands the click means food is coming.

Sunderland?!  >:(  Keep going a bit further, she’s been to the land of black and white!  😀

Bev will probs be back on here later, things didn’t work out with the rehome.  🙁

wags

[quote author=Foxisle_crazy link=topic=12112.msg233154#msg233154 date=1217347923]
    Sunderland?!  >:(  Keep going a bit further, she’s been to the land of black and white!  😀

Bev will probs be back on here later, things didn’t work out with the rehome.  🙁
    [/quote]

what my house  :-\

LOL, i didn’t think of that!  😀

Crafty1980

Aww sorry to hear about the rehome…

I’m off home now and don’t have internet at home. Might try and access forum from my phone… Not sure how sucessful it’ll be though!

Failing that, I will eagerly await responses tomorrow!

As for this evening, well I think I’ll just dibble in the recall part to see if she is “tuned in” to the clicker! Will let you know how I get on… She’s eaten a LOT of treats today…

kizkiznobite

sounds charged to me

start with a visual sit and a visual drop – start her off with stuff close to you not recalls  😉 the best place to be is………

Crafty1980

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=12112.msg233235#msg233235 date=1217402469]
    sounds charged to me

start with a visual sit and a visual drop – start her off with stuff close to you not recalls  😉 the best place to be is………
    [/quote]

How do I do a visual sit when, as soon as I have the clicker in my hand, she’s already sitting!?!? Do I just hold my finger up as I would normally (even though she’s already sitting) and click or do i need to get her to stand up first?!

Also, for visual “drop”, do I just hold my palm out and when she nugdes it, *click* then reward, etc? Is that the idea? I thought open palm should be “give” not “drop”…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime