Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Ideas on a suitable second dog?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Dogs Ideas on a suitable second dog?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Justine&Rafe

Yep, Bertie Basset – big body – stumpy legs… Not really designed for speed, perfect for sniffing stuff!  I wouldn’t have commented had I not met one!

Excuse my ignorance but what does HPR stand for?

*Lassie*

Hunt, point and retrieve

xtine

Get a schnauzer.. they can go on for hours  😉  ;D

Justine&Rafe

Ta! Would never have got that.

Anonymous
    quote :

Excuse my ignorance but what does HPR stand for?

says she with a HPR dog 😀

latifah

Well it seems bertie the basset’s owner may have found a home for the two of them, best for him really, I couldn’t imagine breaking latifahs heart and moving her away. Happily share a tent if we had too.
    So I’m back with being open to ideas, where we live its really popular with pointers but they never want to play with latifah, and then the majority of the local dogs seem to be under one foot tall. So i need a tolerant dog too, Latifah has learnt the art of just looking away Even when its a pack of yorkies, mini poodles, westies , scotties they all seem to run at her, and bark bark bark.
    Love grey hounds but wouldn’t it want to eat my guinea pig, she lives inside too.
    I don’t know, I must be broody but every where i go theres another puppy, a friend just got a beautilful newfoundland, buts thats just too hairy and too big.
    The idea of a dog being out of my sight, i actually love the fact that latifah is always there as a companion and never out of sight, unless shes playing hide and seek in between the beach huts but even then shes not the greatest hider. Thanks for everyones ideas, you learn so much more from others as apposed to simply reading text. I feel another dobe may be best, those big paws, wobbly legs. But this time i think that I’ll be in control, and would love recommendations of excellent breeders, around the Essex area.

Sweetypye

An FCR is not an HPR but belongs to the retriever sub group of gundogs.

.dodger.

[quote author=latifah link=topic=13584.msg259689#msg259689 date=1233695677]
    I feel another dobe may be best, those big paws, wobbly legs. But this time i think that I’ll be in control, and would love recommendations of excellent breeders, around the Essex area.
    [/quote]
    I’m sure latifah will love another dobe to play with 🙂 As for breeders, the dobe people on here should be able to recommend some for you.

Sweetypye

The following are good sources of info.  FWIW I have met many Dobermanns from the Aritaur kennels and the breeders and they are superb specimens in terms of looks, temperament and health; this may be a bit far from you but geography should not be a deciding factor when choosing a dog.

BIRMINGHAM & DISTRICT DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mr P B Rock. Tel No: 01889 566777
    DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs V M Lucas. Tel No: not available, contact the Kennel Club.
    MIDLAND DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs L Fisher. Tel No: 01773 788485
    NORTH EASTERN COUNTIES DOBERMANN SOCIETY. Sec. Mrs M R Welsh. Tel No: 0191 377 0751
    NORTH OF ENGLAND DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs W Meikle. Tel No: Not available – for more information contact the Kennel Club
    NORTHERN IRELAND DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs C Boyd. Tel No: 028 9082 5646
    SCOTTISH DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Miss T Feeney Tel No: 01776 820326
    SOUTH EAST OF ENGLAND DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs M Barton Tel No:01403 820214
    SOUTH WEST DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs D Stansbury. Tel No: 01752 823106
    WELSH DOBERMANN CLUB. Sec. Mrs J E Piper. Tel No: 01443 813604

Anonymous

hi,

but but but i thought the R in HPR was retrieve – does that mean HPR dogs have to be able to do all 3 things then ?

Rafe does a good hunt as long as you are not fussy about what he’s actually hunting 😀

what about if you have a dog which hunts, points and retrieves (e.g. a lurcher) they are not called HPR are they so is it only traditional hunting dogs which HPR that are “allowed in” the category but then lurchers were bred for hunting and retrieving soooo … who knows ?  are you confused yet – i am 🙂

claire x

Anonymous

Claire – am not an expert on this – but I always think of HPRs as things like Vizlsa’s weims and GSPs – but I think of Labs  etc. as just retrievers?

So if you wanted to hunt alone – you’d be best to take an HPR – cos they do the lot.. whereas labs are more for organised shoots  :-  Am sure SP will know proper definition  ;D

Justine&Rafe

(Mini hijack)  Rafe points at things he wants, too!!  Like point at boot of car = I want you to give me all the shopping inside!  Sit and point at windowsill (where leftovers put) = I want leftovers now thank you very much.

And he is exceptionally good at hunting for tennis balls.

So he may not actually belong in the group – but he does do all three!   ;D

I’d never heard of a HPR group before – what would that equate to in what we normally hear of?

*Lassie*

http://www.aritaur.co.uk/
    Love the picture of Monty ;D

Anonymous

Hypnotique has just been mated with Syd, Kodis BF ;D

Sweetypye

There are several sub groups of gundogs:

Spaniels eg CS, WSS, ESS, Clumber, Field, Sussex et
    Pointers and Setters eg Red, English, Red and White, Gordon Setters and English Pointers.
    Retrievers eg FCR, Lab, Goldie, Curly, Chesapeake etc
    HPRs eg Weim, Viz, Spinone, Brittany, GSP, GWP, GLP, LM etc etc

Each sub group was developed for a different purpose

Spaniels are used to flush game and then retrieve it usually from heavy cover
    Pointers and Setters are used to point or set game eg grouse usually from the open plain/moor
    Retrievers do what it says on the tin, retrieve shot game
    HPRs do it all, hunt ground, when game is found, point, flush on command and then retrieve it when shot.

IT also means that they have different outlooks on life and some individual breeds within the sub groups vary widely.

Weimaraners for example were originally bred to track down wounded stag and boar, exterminate foxes and cats as well as protecting their master which makes the the hardest of the Gundog group; it ain’t no FCR!

If you wanted to enter a KC licensed Field Trial or Gundog Working Test only breeds which belong to the relevant group being tested are allowed to enter and they must be on the KC breed register.

Gundog work and breed showing are the only two activities that are restricted in this way.  You can compete in all other disciplines no matter what type of mutt you have on the end of the lead by being registered on the activity register.

Lurchers are mongrels and do not hunt point and retrieve IME, just go like doolally after the game when lamping!

My GSD used to point when out with my Weim, don’t make him no HPR though!  ;D

But he is a helluva retriever and once held the lead in a gundog scurry for more than 3 hours when he was less than a year old!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime