Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Inflamed Pancreas

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Inflamed Pancreas

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mudgie

any advice would be welcome.  Mates pooch (weim) is in hospital with inflamed pancreas – the girlie been losing lots of weight and off diet for a while.  She always been fussy but last time I saw her (over chrimbo) she was really light weight.   :-*

Anyhow she has inflammed pancreas and she is just on fluids to give digestion a rest.  She is fed nature diet – nothing with any chemicals additives etc.  Any suggestions as to what has caused it ?  What can be done to prevent it in future  ??? ???  Vet suggesting chappie initially due to it being easily digested – I know that nutrition wise it isnt great but at the moment any nutrition is better than nothing.  She won’t eat raw not interested in food at all.  Chicken porridge is about all she would eat in past that was close to good stuff apart from obviously nature diet.  However she just isnt interested in food at all.  ???  Never has been

Anonymous

Horrid disease for the pooches Mudgie.
    I would not rule out the use of Chappie many dogs from the cradle to the grave have eaten nothing else and have lived long and happy lives, as this dog is fussy then that would be of concern to me as owners of fussy dogs tend to give in and add bits to the food ie; cheese etc, this is not good for a dog with pancreas troubles neither is changing the food.
    On the vet front has the vet done any bloods hormonal imbalance predisposes a dog to pancreatitis. Such conditions include: Diabetes mellitus, Hypothyroidism, and Hypercalcemia.  The first two conditions are associated with altered fat metabolism which predisposes to pancreatitis and the latter condition involves elevated blood calcium which activates stored digestive enzymes.
    Dogs with this condition are hard to feed as they are rarely into food some have to be on drugs for life there is a powder that is added to the food which helps can’t think what it’s called am sure the vet would have tried this it’s not easy to treat at all
    Val

Mudgie

yeah all the bloods been done but will ask about these in particular. 

I can however say for sure she doesn get tit bits etc adding to food -its a chore to get her to eat her food never mind anything else – she hasnt eaten for me by hand feeding in past but she wont for owner. 

She always had “tummy” problems – runny bottie etc – but nature diet helped a lot with that.  Chappie will help further I am sure I know it settles Nooch tum and his rear end too.  Used it a lot when he was recovering from gastric torsion.

See if you can remember powder name Witchy Woo – but will tell her to mention to vet.

Thanks – yet again  ;D

Anonymous

Sorry had to go do a dog  ;D It’s not a Witchy Woo it’s one the vet uses some dogs just have a predisposition for this type of problem she will never be fat thats for sure some vets say feed little and often helps.
    Had two beardies with it at my club they always looked like hat racks one of them Lucy was fed four times aday but still had the odd attack
    Val

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=13386.msg256834#msg256834 date=1231336969]
    yeah all the bloods been done but will ask about these in particular. 

I can however say for sure she doesn get tit bits etc adding to food -its a chore to get her to eat her food never mind anything else – she hasnt eaten for me by hand feeding in past but she wont for owner. 

She always had “tummy” problems – runny bottie etc – but nature diet helped a lot with that.  Chappie will help further I am sure I know it settles Nooch tum and his rear end too.  Used it a lot when he was recovering from gastric torsion.

See if you can remember powder name Witchy Woo – but will tell her to mention to vet.

Thanks – yet again  ;D
    [/quote]

Anonymous

Some Witchy Woo plus I would try honey

Carduus marianus (Milk thistle) – antioxidant

Arctium lappa (Burdock) – blood purifier

Natrium sulphate – promotes pancreatic health

Have to say I have never had a dog with this problem  :ok:
    Val

Mudgie

thanks Val – again  :-*  Have sent her link to post so she will keep an eye on it – will keep you updated

Anonymous

Is this your Glasgow mate? (cant remember her name) :-[ hope pooch is okay :-*

*Lassie*
    Anonymous

That looks like it Lassie Ta

[quote author=*Lassie* link=topic=13386.msg256866#msg256866 date=1231352760]
    Is this the stuff you were thinking of Val?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_9&products_id=37
    [/quote]

Mudgie

Yes Jaydex – Tavia with Roxy  ;D

oh bless mudge sounds like its going to be a long road for the poor lass, hope she gets stable soon  :yes: 

Mudgie

She is home – curled up tight in ball – not a happy bunny.  :-*

so is it this

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=312

or

Chappie

Does the “added” stuff do the canin justice or is it a marketing ploy.  Any opinions  ???

Anonymous

Depends if she likes wet food or dry.
    Have done my Polish Lowland today she has this problem she’s on RC and is doing well her coat is a bit dull but she is also spayed and that doesn’t help the coat
    She has nothing added but the two beardies from my club did very well with Chappie and the powder
    Val

[quote author=Mudgie link=topic=13386.msg256960#msg256960 date=1231421076]
    She is home – curled up tight in ball – not a happy bunny.  :-*

so is it this

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=312

or

Chappie

Does the “added” stuff do the canin justice or is it a marketing ploy.  Any opinions  ???

[/quote]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime