Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Insurance Hike!!!!!

Home Archive Forums General Category Gossip Insurance Hike!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just got my renewal from M & S  £73.99 PER MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!! :what: :what: :what:
    £887,88 per year double & a half what I pay for my CAR!

Now have the delightful job of finding a nother company ::) ::)

Sweetypye
    Anonymous

Thanks sweety :-* 😀  Have just been through all my old insurance stuff god knows why I keep it ::) Years old!) had Jay & Dex insured with them years ago, just phoned and she’s going to call me back tomorrow with somes quotes.

Not even Petplan will give me a decent policy, only £3000 vet fees which is nowhere near enough really, More Than will insure him with £7,000 for £59 per month which I suppose is cheaper than £74!
    M&S said well you do realise that older dogs get ill more often thats why things go up, I told him dexs mum was 14 and only saw the vet when she’d had pups or was about to be pts!
    FGS I’ve only ever made 1 claim when he had a lump about 7 years ago!
    Will see what this lady says tomorrow

*Nat*

I left M&S last yr cos they slapped a £70 excess on my policy from no excess and doubled the premium from £15 to £30 a month!  >:(

Changed to Tesco, got £4000 vets fees cover, £60 excess, paid £15.22 a month over the last year and just had renewal it’s gone up to £22, I did get discount last yr for buying online but still happy with £22  🙂 Have sent off claim today for Piper’s leg, will see how quicly I get the money  :whistle:

*Lassie*

We are with Direct Line, good in the respect of paying up, cost £29 for 2 dogs.
    Bad – Tam has now had his last treatment for Arthritis paid for, the year is up so I have to pay for any further treatment.
    Didn’t realise when we took out the insurance you could get ones that treated for life ::)
    Too late now for Tam, Willow has only had treatment from the vet twice in 5 years. Both times was last year, the tummy upset and the cyst on her tail – both under the excess.

Anonymous

Well VIP could only come up with Pet Plan 12 month policy, but I found yesterday that M & S do a standard cover so have gone with that instead it now £49 instead of £38 which isnt so much of an increase, the vet fee limit goes down to £4,000 and they only cover 1,000 per condition per year but that should be okay, I spoke to his Heart Vet and she said it would probably cost me £120 + per month for his tablets when he needs them, and that if I changed his company I would have to tell them about his DCM and it wouldnt be covered, if I stay with M&S they will pay for it, so I’m caught really, but a bit happier with the cost 🙂

M & S know about his DCM already but as he was diagnosed only last year and I’ve been with them longer they will cover the tablets and any treatment he needs when he needs it.

Justine&Rafe

Just to say have been stung by this too – was on PetPlan and went up to… ooh, £80 per year MORE than my car!!

Now on Tesco for £11.66 per month.  Still v expensive, but hey ho, vets tell people that it’s fair to put their dogs through very invasive surgeries and owners do because they think it’s the right thing to do for their dog – dog is in pain, owners are distraught, but the vets get paid a fortune from the insurance.  So insurance premiums go up. 

Think sometimes vets should have the guts to say that perhaps the kindest thing to the dog is to let them have a few peaceful last weeks with lots of painkillers and a calm ending to it.

And I know there’ll be people that think it’s the right thing to do, and I also know others that have put their dogs through stuff they wish they hadn’t.  If I’m ever faced with such a dreadful dilemma I just hope I do right by Rafe, whatever that right might be.

Sweetypye

Actually rises in insurance premia have absolutely nothing to do with invasive surgery etc.

It is all about probabilities, post codes and breeds.

Justine&Rafe

Probabilities of cost.  Hence as techniques become more sophisticated, costs increase, premiums go up.

Anonymous

Jus & Rafe – if you use the vets i do (in rugby) they do a sort of little insurance type thing of their own where u pay so much a month to cover treatment …

just a thought ?  nice ppl too – xpect they would love Rafe 🙂

Claire x

Anonymous

hi,

insurance premiums consider the dogs:  age / breed / prev. treatment / prev. claims / but the biggest indicator is postcode.

M&S changed their “no excess” because people were claiming for too much stuff – simple economics there.

THeir standard plan is perfectly adequate for many pet dogs, their premium plan is alot better than most.  Both mine are insured on premium i think its about £20 a month ish for both.

claire.

Justine&Rafe

Cheers Claire, remind me to ask you when I see you (hopefully) later this week!

Anonymous

i’ll try !! 🙂

incase i dont (and for everyone else living near rugby or warwick) here are details …

http://www.vetanimalhouse.co.uk/index.asp

They are open 7 DAYS a week (can save seeing “out of hours” vets).

http://www.vetanimalhouse.co.uk/plan.asp

Brief details of the plan.

and ….. they even thought barky old william dog was “well behaved” lol !!  i think rafe should be just fine and the waiting room is bigger than my lounge so no squishing next to cats or terrifying hamsters lol!!

Claire x

Justine&Rafe

Oh but he LIKES squishing next to teh kittehs and hamsters and small terrified dogs – always go in with treats and clicker now as otherwise have NO hope!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime