Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

insurance

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health insurance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    deebee

i dislike pet insurance, there are so many get outs and high premiums etc. i prefer to put some money aside (the same amount of what could be premiums ).

but, i think it would be wise to have insurance for the first year cos you never know and the money hasnt built up in the ’emergency’ account.

so, who do you insure with? i havent a clue where to go

*Lassie*

Check this website out, it explains the different types of insurance and you can get quotes 😉

http://www.vip4u.co.uk/

deebee

thanks, will do it now.  🙂

Anonymous

If you had a vet bill of say £2,700 you would have had to have put away £225 PER MONTH, Insurance is much cheaper than that!
    I know some people on here dont insure because of various reasons but in my case there is no way I’d be able to afford a bill like that without insurance, I know you can pay for many years without a claim and wonder why you bother, but you just dont know what can happen, and it doesnt have to be an illness either, your dog could cause an accident, maybe bite someone and you could be sued.

I’m with M & S, not one of the cheapest, Pet Plan & The Kennel Club are also good but again not the cheapest, really depends on what you want cover for, some will just do the basics, vet fees, boarding etc other will do more including homeopathic stuff nowadays.

Just steer clear of E & L or Animal Friends(underwritten by E & L) 🙂

my two are insured with the KC.
    now i know it has had alot of bad press (majority of which i agree with) but insurance wise they are really very good. it is a for life policy, many run out when dogs reach about 8 years old. It also pays up to £10.000 per condtion (which includes on going conditions)through out the dogs life and pays for a huge variety of things such as dog care costs if you are ill or any perscription food your dog may need. they have always been really quick to process claims and pay out. it is quite expensive though and you may not want cover for all these aspects but it suits us really well  🙂

Anonymous

god yes – steer clear of E & L for sure !!!!!

I am also with M&S – premiums are reasonable, sorting claims has been done straight through my vets (will depend on your vet) all pretty simple 🙂

I have Bonnie on full insurance up to £7000 a year for life vets plus the rest of it – homeopathic things and alternative treatments etc etc etc  , William I just pay a small sum for the thing Jaydex said about if he causes damage blah blah … public liability is it called ??

the difference is because wills is almost 10 and M&S is now excess + 20% for him so my gamble is he aint ever been ill and wont be getting ill 😀

bonnie has been in the emg vets twice already and paid for hers and wills premiums in claims and she also used to qualify for no excess but i think it is now £50.

claire x

Anonymous

Yep Public Liabilty… I think nowadays with it being a ‘suers’ market its well worth it even just for that.

I had Jay insured with a company recommended by VIP, cant remember the name now, but I paid them £27 per month they paid over £70 per month for his tablets and I only had to pay one excess in 12 months, so I think it well worth it.

deebee

[quote author=jaydex link=topic=12999.msg250262#msg250262 date=1226153707]
    If you had a vet bill of say £2,700 you would have had to have put away £225 PER MONTH, Insurance is much cheaper than that!
    I know some people on here dont insure because of various reasons but in my case there is no way I’d be able to afford a bill like that without insurance, I know you can pay for many years without a claim and wonder why you bother, but you just dont know what can happen, and it doesnt have to be an illness either, your dog could cause an accident, maybe bite someone and you could be sued.

I’m with M & S, not one of the cheapest, Pet Plan & The Kennel Club are also good but again not the cheapest, really depends on what you want cover for, some will just do the basics, vet fees, boarding etc other will do more including homeopathic stuff nowadays.

Just steer clear of E & L or Animal Friends(underwritten by E & L) 🙂
    [/quote]

unless you are unlucky enough to have a big vet bill, most bills are under the excess or not covered. sometimes its not worth claiiming as it puts the premium up.
    most household policies cover liability for pets (unless i dreamt that lol).

E&L …. well known in the horse world, and as you say, come under many names.

thanks for the answers 🙂

deebee

just went on price comparison site (not for the price but the policies), a whole page bar two were e&l and animal friends, thanks for the heads up  :ok:

Anonymous

For the first years insurance you shouldnt have an excess,  I didnt with Kodi’s.
    As for home Insurance cover I would check that out, I’m with Barclays and the only thing its says about pets and birds is it WONT cover any damage caused by them.

Aly12

Well I most certainly am glad I had insurance for Molly.  When Molly was only 9 months old she was very ill and had to be admitted to the vet school.  She was in the vet school for 4 days and it cost £612 plus I was £200 at the vet before that – all covered with the insurance apart from £50 excess.  I had only paid 6 months premiums and had no problem with my claim as the insurance paid out straight away and now have to pay for her blood tests and tablets which she is on for life.  Insurance is one of those things you take it out hoping never to use it, just like home insurance, but you can never guarantee that your dog will be healthy for ever and sometimes they have illnesses which are very costly.  In my opinion I wouldn’t have a dog without insurance as you never know when you will have a large vet bill.

Anonymous

My home policy covers my dogs for public liability.  It doesn’t cover for any damage that my dogs do to my home.  🙂

I usually recommend that puppy owners take out insurance for the first year as very occassionally genetics throw up something unexpected, but over 25 years I would have been way out of pocket if I’d insured my lot.  I don’t think that I’ve spent more than £200 in that time that would have been covered by a policy.  But that is with my own line where I know all the dogs in the pedigrees.

Having bought in Tallulah, in a breed that I’m still learning about, I’ve taken out 12 months with More Than, but once she gets to a year, then I’ll not renew if nothing genetic crops up.

It would be very different if you buy a dog from a pet breeder or an exhibitor who is unaware of the health status of the dogs on the pedigree.

kizkiznobite

try tesco….

deebee

i suppose it just sticks in the craw when the vets see it as a license to print money. vet bills have gone up in line with policies taken out and a lot of unneccessary procedures done ‘because the insurance will pay it’.

i got asked if my pony is insured when she went lame with suspected navicular and when i said yes, the price went up. they (also) put her through more diagnostics than they really needed to. i learnt from that and my last dog wasnt insured and needed treatment in the last year of his life only. they knew he wasnt insured and so didnt ‘push the boat out’.

i dont think i was lucky, its the odds that insurers themselves use to make a profit.

anyway, besides all that, for peace of mind, priceless.

deebee

cross posts.

rough, exactly how i was thinking.

and im glad i didnt dream about the liability  :sleepy:

bev, you loving tesco atm ;D ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime