Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

intelligent dog breeds

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion intelligent dog breeds

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Billy1111

just for fun lol

kizkiznobite

mmm…dont think i can vote…i think any breed has the potential for ‘intelligence’….but it not an easily measureable term..i think certain breeds have more ‘logic’ functions…and certain breeds that are genetically programmed work harder using brains for some stuff than other stuff…look at my 2 cubert threads..,

also am a strong believer in the communication sentences that the various dogs put out….

but ok fun stuff….will answer per breed you have put up and think re voting Ā :ok:

kizkiznobite

collie…well of all breeds a dog’s intelligence quota is measured against a well bred well functioning healthy border collie. ..the neurons through the brain run damn pretty fast compared to other breeds….so to generalise
    yep they top of the brain stakes

good book btw

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T5ylLv5xUDQC&pg=PA98&lpg=PA98&dq=collie+neuron+transmitter+brains&source=bl&ots=Ji4knTTJn1&sig=nFUI-LKogBf4qViaFE-4e8GYBVU&hl=en&ei=nPZNSprtH8-MjAebufi4BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

mastiffs…in my opinion they have a great sense of logic….i would say that this compensates for lack of close movement ability….they good problem solvers…problem is the time element…many carers don’t give them time to ‘do’

cocker…depends if working or showing…a good working cocker is well loaded with brains

akita…mmmmm one of those that miss out sentences….goes from 1 to 4 to 10…hard to slow brain patterns down to modify behaviours…they not not brainy…sure they are bright but they dont slow down to do logic as well and are hard to cue by novices to the breed

GSD….close to the BC but need that bit more direction esp these days of so many badly bred ones but get a good one and yep….they sure are bright

guess i go with the collie…just for fun Ā  šŸ˜‰ Ā …but have met some real messed up collies….prob more than any other breed…so….

hard one to generalise… šŸ™‚

šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ Bev you do make me laugh

i put german shepherd, just because im biast ;D

.dodger.

[quote author=kerrie and stan link=topic=14436.msg269466#msg269466 date=1246636122]
    šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ Bev you do make me laugh
    [/quote]

me too but i love all th facts you manage to sqeeze into each post :yes: You certainly do learn a knew thing every day with Bev on here šŸ˜€

Yes well, GSD for me too ;D

Val

Then of course we have the beardied collie both intelligent, logical, and can think for it’s self especially around livestock.
    Val

kizkiznobite

yep….val i am sure…i have never read or been able to find biochem facts re beardies…have looked but i guess the workers are few in number to compare to the BC’s…it wouldnt suprise me that they do good logic and problem solving and i would guess that they cannot be ‘overtrained’ in the way BC’s can …as in they dont go ‘obsessive’ in the same way…

but we spoiling billy’s thread…sorry billy…we a bit obsessive ….like BC’sĀ  šŸ˜€

laura….i do facts and education….or at least i try …and occasionally trying… ;D

šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€ we love your facts bev ;D

Lucyr

I’d say my Akita is pretty intelligent…teach her something and she does it once, she might show you how clever she is by doing it again but she certainly isn’t stupid enough to do it a million times because she has better things to do.

Teach her using treats as a reward and after one or two excellent responses she won’t wait for you to give her another treat, instead she just takes herself off to the drawer/bag/tin where they are kept…thats intelligence to me….

…..whereas my GSD’s will just do anything you ask and repeat, repeat, repeat until you get bored lol!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees ā€“ ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime