Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Izzy’s quarantine is nearly up!! EEEK!

Home Archive Forums Dogs Basic Dog Training Izzy’s quarantine is nearly up!! EEEK!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Crafty1980

We’ve been in captivity for what seems to be a lifetime now and, on Saturday, I should be allowed to take her out for the first time in public!

I’m now totally petrified though… I’ve been reading things about walking on leads etc and am totally miserable because, by the looks of it, I shouldn’t be taking her anywhere if she pulls/ tugs/ bites on her lead, which is what she does at the moment…

She’s a nightmare. I need to start correcting her ASAP. Not sure where to start! Criteria 1 I guess… I read about just tying a bit of sting to her collar first so she get’s used to that… Is that worth doing? Then replace string with lead and, I guess everythime she doesn’t play/chew it, click and reward?? Hmm… 🙁 All I wanted to do was to take her for her first walk and explore the streets!

It’s a bit of a catch 22 isn’t it because I’ve been told on numerous occasions to introduce her to as many things before the age of 16weeks so she can get used to them… That includes things like cars, roads, pavements, other people, etc… If I can’t get her to walk properly on a lead before 16weeks, which is entirely possible because I seem to be totally rubbish at this training lark at the best of times, then she’s not going to get used to the important things in time! 🙁

Anonymous

She will  😉 don’t bother with the string just go straight to the lead if she grabs it put something yukky on it like oil of cloves if you keep the treats in one hand and the dog on a lead in the other she will get used to the lead.
    If she bucks and fights it just let her trail it about for awhile you should have been doing lead training in your fathers paddock so start now
    Val

Crafty1980

[quote author=Val link=topic=12139.msg233526#msg233526 date=1217514888]

you should have been doing lead training in your fathers paddock so start now

[/quote]

I’ve been “walking” her around the paddock and garden for the last week… she hasn’t got any better…

I do find that one annoying thing about forums is that, yes there is a weath of brilliant knowledge here, I jsut can’t find it! I think it’s mostly because, inevatably, replies always stray from the original topic! I found that youtube videos have been useful for clicker training so far… Think I’ll look on there to see if I can find anything, then ask if it’s correct on here, then try it for myself!

Anonymous

If it’s important then it’s in the stickies. If you have been doing the paddock walk whats she doing pulling or bucking  ???

[quote author=Crafty1980 link=topic=12139.msg233528#msg233528 date=1217515997]
    [quote author=Val link=topic=12139.msg233526#msg233526 date=1217514888]

you should have been doing lead training in your fathers paddock so start now

[/quote]

I’ve been “walking” her around the paddock and garden for the last week… she hasn’t got any better…

I do find that one annoying thing about forums is that, yes there is a weath of brilliant knowledge here, I jsut can’t find it! I think it’s mostly because, inevatably, replies always stray from the original topic! I found that youtube videos have been useful for clicker training so far… Think I’ll look on there to see if I can find anything, then ask if it’s correct on here, then try it for myself!
    [/quote]

Anonymous

My dogs never pull because I train them off lead so they stay with me because they are initially heavily rewarded for doing so, with the command I use for walking loosely to heel given when they come into the position I want them in & they are rewarded. This way they never learn to pull against the lead, because they want to be with me. The younger I start the quiker the puppy learns

I think you need to get it into perspective, yes you don’t have much time to crack it but perhaps ask Bev to help you with a training programme i.e this week do this, next week progress to something else, don’t worry though, she’ll get it!

Crafty1980

[quote author=Val link=topic=12139.msg233532#msg233532 date=1217516676]
    If it’s important then it’s in the stickies. If you have been doing the paddock walk whats she doing pulling or bucking  ???
    [/quote]

When she’s not trying to chew her lead, she pulls a lot and sometimes bucks… mostly pulling though. I’ve tried standing still, changing direction, etc.

PS Where do I get oil of clove from?

[quote author=TobyTeaCosy and Angela link=topic=12139.msg233535#msg233535 date=1217517462]
    perhaps ask Bev to help you with a training programme i.e this week do this, next week progress to something else, don’t worry though, she’ll get it!
    [/quote]

I think that’s a very good idea…

Anonymous

Chemist sell it, doesn’t sound to me like she is focused you really need to get the focus indoors 100% then move outside, stick her on the lead indoors and work on the focus
    Val

*Nat*

Ok….not like me to be blunt but….I think you need to take a step back hun and stop worrying  ;D One step at a time, I hope amongst the worrying you’re enjoying your puppy cos before you know it she’ll be all grown up!  ;D  :-* I know you want to do whats best but take a deep breath and don’t rush everything!  😉  :-*

Crafty1980

Nat, urgh you’re so right. I’m so stupid for worrying about this! I think it’s just been a whirlwind these past couple of weeks and i’ve got to take a step back! She’s so gorgeous and full of fun and mischief i totally started to forget all that! She’s a puppy and puppy love won’t be around for long! I’ll still obviously continue clickering but there’s a time and a place for playing too! 🙂 thanks for hitting my perspective and getting it level again! 🙂

*Nat*

:-* You’re not stupid Ben, you love Izzy, that’s obvious  🙂 You just need to enjoy her more and everything will come into place, especially with help from people on here  ;D

kizkiznobite

i would forget the clove oil for now…you dont really want to start off on a something bad is added track…

do the location training as in the stickies…like dyane says.. this teaches the dog where to be regardless of the lead …it gets the cues in place so that the lead becomes just an accessory….it easy to do esp as you now have the sit….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime