Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Jumping up – real help needed (again)

Home Archive Forums General Category General Discussion Jumping up – real help needed (again)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

I would agree with everything thats been said, you should definatly get him on a house line (longish lightweight lead). Then you are in more control.
    You need some volunteers to start with and practice telling them what to do  ;D It may feel a bit uncomfortable at first but i’m sure the people who say ‘yeahhh its fine stop worrying’ would be the first to complain if he knocked them over or got muddy paw prints on their clothes! ::)

– He is jumping up because he can and has learnt that he gets lots of attention. even saying ‘noooooo rafe!! get off!! is stil attention so he thinks thats great!
    – tell your volunteers to fold their arms and turn their back as soon as he jumps up. and say nothing, let him work it out.
    – be ready to click and corn beef as soon as paws are back on the floor!
    There is more to do after but that is what id recomend to start with! JUMPING UP = NO ATTENTION!

Izzie

[quote author=kizkiznobite link=topic=2403.msg22116#msg22116 date=1140298156]
    when you outside and you see someone coming – before she notices- throw treats on the ground if grass or clean, if it not have a munchable size one in the hand that you can keep a grip on, click as she eats them/munches out of hand –  saying ‘4 paws’ keep it up repeating the click and munch while the other person passes then give her a bingo reward – do this with everyone – then 3 out 4 folk – then 2 out 4 etc – when someone comes to fuss her – say the ‘4 paws’ cue – reward her if 4 feet stay on the ground then allow the fuss – if she does not keep the feet on the ground – before she makes contact – firm voice ‘this way’ and turn and walk (you’ll have to accept that some folk think this might be rude – just yell over the shoulder ‘training’ ) the jumping up is getting rewarded by the contact/attention it earns her – remove that reward and give her another for staying on the ground – she’ll get the message – hope this makes sense 🙂
    [/quote]

To reinforce 4paws when out  :read:

Anonymous

Hi,

I disagree most forcefully – please please dont put a house line on Rafe, IMO I really dont think it would serve any purpose except to re-inforce things you dont want and you wont have any more control, probably less if anything lol !! 😉  I realise their uses but in this case, its just not a good plan !!

Claire x

Justine&Rafe

Rrrrright….

Ta Claire for sanity saving phone call yesterday!

Here’s my game plan so far… 

1) Crate every evening from around 6pm til 8/8.30 (I dine with the boss’s family in the evening) – so he will be out of everyone’s way then.  Am prepping frozen Kongs a la Latifah’s thread, so he will get a guaranteed yummy Kong at this time of night, in his crate only.  (Crate = Gooooood stuff)

Upping him being in the crate when I’m not around.  Restricting his opportunity to wreak havoc without me being able to intervene.

2) Will try to approach parky strangers with food on floor – maybe even get some sausages and just let him eat those out of my hand.

3) Snoozy – gonna just keep working on it.  He understands the command perfectly, but I don’t think I’d have any control over him if there were distractions around, so – Q – I’m guessing I’ve taught it OK to criteria 1, do I just need to work through it upping the criteria?  and Q – how do I get him to snoozy, and stay snoozy?  He likes lying down on mats as I only ever feed him bones and kongs on mats (or in his crate) because of the mess – so he will go and lie on his mat, but it’s not because I’ve given him any sort of snoozy command.

4) 4-paws.  Main issue (unsurprisingly) is with men, particularly delivery men, and also men who have, in the past, let him jump up.  This includes my darling OH.  But OH has promised to work with me over this wknd (what a lovely way to spend Valentine’s!!), and has delivered message to his family that noone is to let him jump up at them!  So will be working on clicking when paws are down.

Big Q – when Rafe sees ppl he knows and has jumped on before, throwing down a kilo of black pudding in front of him wouldn’t stop him from jumping up.  He goes completely deaf.  Just soooo thrilled with seeing these ppl – he’s crying in the car by the time I park up outside OH’s house.  So, criteria will necessarily be at 5 when I’m trying to get him in the house for the wknd.  I get that I’ll have to keep him on lead until he’s calmed down a bit, but do I get Richard to turn around, or do I just turn and pull him away?  Do I put in that aversive or not? 

In my head at the mo I see it as him on lead, and not being able to approach Richard until he’s to heel (focussed).  And Richard not saying anything at all until we’ve made it over to him, at which point he can start fussing Rafe on the ground.  Clicks and fuss.  When Rafe then tries to jump up on Richard, he folds arms, stands up straight and I take a step back so Rafe can’t get up to him.  Won’t allow Rafe to go towards Richard til he’s either sat or just still, but click for 4-paws.

Will have treats and clicker by door, but when we both come back in later on will not be able to have lead on Rafe, so do we ignore him if he jumps up?  He’ll go for OH first, so I suppose it’ll be easy enough to watch for the 4 paws.

Eeek!

Izzie

With the greeting and jumping up you need to reinforce the cue

so when you approach each other, Richard is to say 4paws, if he is still on the ground then its lots of treats and good 4paws, clever lad, in a soothing voice.

Good luck

Anonymous

Hiya,

no worries – anytime ! 🙂

1 – good plan 🙂  remeber to take it off his treat/food allowance for the day depending on what you use.

2 – i would make him earn those rewards by  a) staying near you on approach b) approaching on 4paws and c) greeting on 4 paws.  if he looks like he is going to fail – walk the other way !!  i know this will be hard for you but you could be lots more friendly when he’s learned more manners 🙂

3 – to get sustained behaviour you need to reward and re-inforce it.  just the same way you’ve rewarded and re-inforced other behaviours ‘snoozy’ (goes) c+t ‘good snoozy’ (stays) c+t like izzie says (dont say good dog or good boy or anything else – just good if you find the excitement in your voice is breaking cue then flatten your affect in your voice a little.  from here – it will mainly be same criteria just working through distractions.

4 – that 4paws will come as soon as your fella stops tripping the light fantastic with him and people stop pushing him off.  you need to not let him greet them on 2 legs regardless of what they might do for this you need to learn how to hold him so you dont become a passenger 😉  this is probably one of your main issues as he knows that if he doesnt fancy doing what you want he can just drag you along for the ride 🙂

OH’s house – that sounds like excitement and you are rewarding it BIG TIME.  The moment he starts this and you carry on with the journey he is being rewarded again and again and again you’ve already probably rewarded him about 10000 times for being excited and loony and thats why he is so hard to control when you do get there – probably impossible.  Further back the chain you break – easier it will be. 

If he goes for R first when you get home you go in get him under control and let R in – easy 🙂

basically he needs manners manners manners all the time everywhere and with everyone 🙂  it was an eye opener to see him with the pupper he is still VERY immature as a dog isnt he?  he needs boundaries so missus u need to get tuff !!

Claire x

Justine&Rafe

Am tuffing up as we speak!

Justine&Rafe

Sanity partially restored through the wonders of the crate.

Don’t know whether am making any progress with the 4-paws.  Will keep at it coz know will get worse before better.

He was fairly ok this wknd – didn’t jump up on OH when he saw him for the first time – just lots of singing and pushing through his legs.  But later on in the wknd went nuts leaping up at us when we hugged.  Very unpleasant – paw in OH’s face, and pulled my hair (and it hurt!).  My own fault for not thinking – he was doing his own thing in the park, must have seen us and then come hooning over all jealous and “me me me!!”

So am just keeping at it.  He starting to take the mick a bit with heel close as well.  almost a step forward, then 4 backwards.

:boooo:

Anonymous

Hi,

good news – pressure of losing your job and home you dont need !!!

what did you do/say when he jumped up at you both ?

he’s such a clown of a puppy but so gorgeous and irresistable !!

also – what made you choose Rafe’s collar ?  i just wondered as everytime i see you i have this odd feeling about it just not ‘looking right’ i cannot explain this in any logical / sensible manner at all – just an odd feeling – i know you probably think i have lost the plot now !!!!!!

Claire x

Justine&Rafe

Ha ha ha!!  Yes Claire, you probably have lost the plot!  But so have I, so that makes us pretty equal!

When he jumped up I didn’t say anything.  Except ow.  Quietly.

There didn’t seem much point saying anything to him, coz he wouldn’t have listened.

His collar used to be a lovely light tan colour, and went beautifully with a light tan coloured lead I had.  Apparently frequent drenching in rivers and lakes makes leather go darker.  So now it doesn’t match the nice lead I have.  Which is no great shakes as I never use the nice lead.

How exactly do you mean it looks wrong? Wrong colour, style, size?  ;D

stick a picture up of him in his collar so we can all have a look 😀 ;D

Anonymous
    quote :

There didn’t seem much point saying anything to him, coz he wouldn’t have listened.

i’m sure you mean that you didnt say anything on purpose because it would have re-inforced the jumping up dont you 😀

collar – i really cannot quite put my finger on it just a wierd feeling ?  (aswell as making it darker frequent washes and dries can weaken the leather and send stitching mouldy)

Claire x

Sweetypye

WHat most people forget is that leather stretches when wet, so dogs can slip out of them

Anonymous

ooh i didnt even think of that – good tip !!  🙂

leather really doesnt ‘do’ wet does it !?

Justine&Rafe

Oh he could definitely slip out of it if he wanted to.  Will get a piccy of him in his collar for all to have a gander at!!

I leave his collar on most of the time, as he is often out in the boss’s garden, so were he to get out somehow, at least he’d have an id tag on for someone to get hold of me with.  He also microchipped.

But as I leave the collar on so much I don’t like it to be tight.  He’s just not the sort to try to slip his collar.  He never wants to get away from me, just to always be walking ever so slightly further in front and faster than I’m happy with!

Oh, and yes, I meant so that I didn’t reinforce, obviously!!  :embarrass:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime