Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

KENNEL COUGH

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health KENNEL COUGH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    -Alison-

Just how infectious is KC? I was due to go to see a friend tomorrow but her girls are all either suffering from or going down with KC. Even tho I will not be taking my dogs with me, is there a risk of it being passed on through contact with my clothes. Should I cancel my visit just in case? :help:

GSPmad

It’s pretty infectious. It can be passed on by airborne bugs landing on clothes etc potentially – if you’re wanting to go maybe take a change of clothes and just stop at a motorway services or whatever on the way back and get changed.  :-\ Everything in life has a risk – guess it depends whether it’s an important visit or just a casual one that it wouldn’t bother anyone too much to postpone for a few weeks.  ??? If it was say parvo then that would be a definite no, but on this one…. if it was me suppose I would go if it was really important\ really wanted to see them and do change of clothes – if it wasn’t then would rearrange – if that helps any? Sorry, am not very useful tonight.  :crazy:

-Alison-

ahh, thanks Terry. It can wait I think. Would rather not risk passing it onto my lot if I can get away with it. My 3 under house arrest wouldnt be a great deal of fun…

GSPmad

[quote author=-Alison- link=topic=12756.msg246313#msg246313 date=1224632903]
    ahh, thanks Terry. It can wait I think. Would rather not risk passing it onto my lot if I can get away with it. My 3 under house arrest wouldnt be a great deal of fun…
    [/quote]

You’re welcome.  🙂

And I can imagine… 3 springers under house arrest….  :scared: 😮 ;D

bek

does anybody think dogs can have natural antibodies to kennel cough, as a few months ago it was rife round where i walk and live piper my friends dog who i wa looking after picked it up quite bad but none of my gang ever got it including a litter of pups (they were still feeding on mum) also last year arin got it very mild form but again zeus, eris or freya never got it (they have never had it either) :-\

I firmly believe dogs can carry round some immunity to KC – though unlikely against all strains so……..

Honey has mixxed with dogs with it and only caught it the once – but shes had a huge exposure to it working in kennels, shed been coming with me daily and we didnt know about the outbreak until a) a customer rang and b) a rescue started showing signs  – to late for honey then!!  ::)

However if I knew a dog had KC I would still avoid just incase for fear of bringing it home or spreading etc etc.  :yes:

Anonymous

Hi,

KC is like a cold …. very contageous but picks on the young / old / immune compromised

It can theoretically be transferred on clothes but …

I have had 2 dogs at home with nasty KC and still went to work everyday at kennels with very stressed dogs / old dogs / puppies and none of them ever caught it.  The 2 at home both caught it from direct close contact with other dogs having KC (from a dog which came to visit and stayed overnight).

I just washed my hands and changed my clothes.  I’ve also been on kennels sites with appalling hygene, no isolation where they’ve had KC dogs kept close to the other dogs and its not transferred over.

The only way to be sure is to not go – its just weighing up the risk I guess.

Claire x

-Alison-

Well, even if I was still going to go I cant now anyway, Holley appears to have something in her eye or at least a problem with it so Im off to the vets instead ::)

edited to say thank you for the replies   :-*

Bilclarie

I had a 12 weeks old Russian import puppy here 2yrs ago waiting to travel to England, it brought KC with it although there where no signs for the first 10 days, anyway I had 6 x 9 week old puppys here and 3 adults yes you guessed they all got it :sick: cost me a fortune as you can imagine
    according to my vet once a dog has had KC the likely hood of them getting it again is slim don’t know how true that is but touch wood not had an out break since.

Mo and the Gang

GSPmad

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/123075/kennel_cough_what_it_is_and_how_to.html?cat=53

http://www.dhttpocuments-dvgrr.org/WebResources/CanineHealth.pdf

had a search late last night (well 2am  😀 ) and found these – not sure if they say much about natural immunity, was looking for stuff about transmission – think second one is better from that pov.  🙂

GSPmad

[quote author=Bilclarie link=topic=12756.msg246328#msg246328 date=1224671026]
    according to my vet once a dog has had KC the likely hood of them getting it again is slim [/quote]

dorain is prone to KC – and he gets it despite having had it before.  🙁 as far as i am aware the immunity to various of the bugs isn’t that long lasting, there are also a number involved so would need immunity to all, and viruses can mutate – which is why we all get colds year after year cos they mutate so the immune system doesn’t recognise them.  :-\

Anonymous

hi,

my wills has had it atleast twice that i know of !

bil – what were you paying for ???  there’s no treatment for KC … is there???

GSPmad

[quote author=piglet link=topic=12756.msg246350#msg246350 date=1224679357]
    hi,

my wills has had it atleast twice that i know of !

bil – what were you paying for ???  there’s no treatment for KC … is there???
    [/quote]

if it’s bacterial there’s antibiotics – my guess would be that they gave antibiotics to be on safe side with pups being so young… someone on another forum lost a whole litter bar one pup (litter of 9\10) to KC…

Busters had it more than once, at least twice might be three times – needed antibis he was a poorly pooch…. Honey just once and she fine no problems over it very quick and never caught again touch wood…………

Bilclarie

They all had a 7 day course of antibiotic’s x that by 10 still have the bill cost 430euros good job they don’t charge me a call out fee, I might of had to to sell me body 😮 😮 😮 😮

Mo and the Gang

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime