Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Kennel Cough in Northamptonshire

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Kennel Cough in Northamptonshire

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Anonymous

Anyone would think we were all clueless.  ::)

kizkiznobite

it is almost at epidemic status in the midlands

Justine&Rafe

I’m sorry if I didn’t have that information before!  Don’t bite my head off!!

I’m not insinuating ANYONE on here is clueless – far from it,  I’m just trying to give people who don’t know everything about everything a heads up!

Clearly that doesn’t apply to some – fine, I cannot believe you could be offended by people trying to help out others.  Clearly you know all there is to be known about KC, and hence this post is going to provide little information to you.  If you’d like to share your expertise on this matter to those of us mere mortals who don’t know everything about it, then please do, it would be really helpful!!  But don’t have a go just because I wanted to warn people in the same situation that I found myself in!!

And before you bite my head off again…

I (call me clueless perhaps) had heard of only ONE case of KC amongst friends and families with dogs… ever.  And that was this summer.  I knew it was contagious – knew it was hugely so, but didn’t realise how prevalent it was in the wider doggy society until my dog came down with it.  Now I know of immune boosting and low criteria exposure, perhaps I can avoid getting it in the future. 

And HOPEFULLY there’ll be some people who, seeing “KC in Northants” in the posts, will go have a look, and then can take necessary steps to help their dogs avoid getting it.

So don’t be such meanies  :tease:

kizkiznobite

you are being very sensible in depriving your lad in order to stop the passing on to others…well done you

Justine&Rafe

Cheers…

And, er, sorry for the outburst!!

*looks a little sheepish*

Anonymous

hi,

i’m confused here ??

just because i pulled you up for scaremongering with no actual facts – you throw your toys out the pram ??

claire.

Anonymous

Sounds to me like you are the one coming on strong here Claire.
    You haven’t posted in awhile then come out all guns blazing sit back take a breath or two and don’t be horrid to someone that thought they were being helpful OK
    Val

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13083.msg252368#msg252368 date=1227109764]
    hi,

i’m confused here ??

just because i pulled you up for scaremongering with no actual facts – you throw your toys out the pram ??

claire.
    [/quote]

Justine&Rafe

TRUST me, if you had to sit in with my boy for a month you’d wish you’d been scaremongered too!!

As far as antibiotics are concerned – bordatella bronchiseptica – kennel cough – is a bacteria.  It is this bacteria which causes the KC to sometimes spread into the lungs and cause pneumonia.  It is worth getting the antibiotics from the vet – they cost a few pounds (obviously you want to be doing the pro and pre-biotics at the same time), and potentially prevent a simple cough from becoming a REALLY nasty illness.  Even if the bacteria is not present (which unfortunately you can’t tell just from looking!), it is worthwhile at least speaking to your vet to get their view.
    Vets will probably advise to vaccinate but this is not 100% effective at preventing the disease, often though, if the dog catches KC after immunisation, the cough won’t be as severe (I am told by my vet).

See kizkiznobite’s post re immune boosting tho.

Actually – anyone with medical knowledge on this – I was advised by the vet that vaccination would not necessarily prevent the dog from getting KC, but would reduce its severity and prevent it from being contagious after coughing stopped.  Is this right and how and why??

Izzie

If I remember correctly

The KC vacc only protects against bacterial KC and not the viral KC

Justine&Rafe

Oooh, this is quite confusing really, isn’t it!

Anonymous

hi,

NO – its simple … dont scaremonger about something you know fuck all about.

Claire.

*Lassie*

[quote author=piglet link=topic=13083.msg252394#msg252394 date=1227115673]
    hi,

NO – its simple … dont scaremonger about something you know (*auto remove*) all about.

Claire.
    [/quote]

That’s uncalled for, telling people that KC is around is hardly scaremongering. It has been on the raise, simply because the dog shows etc that take place around the country people and dogs travel more and mix more. You may know everything Claire but some of our guests may not and a thread like this will at least bring it to their attention.
    If you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all.

Claire I wasnt sure where the kennel was – and am not worried about visiting the kennels, I know how to prevent bringing it home – I did say I didnt know if the kennels was local – I just remembered you saying about it  🙂

My issue really is only about Buster – he is VERY poorly, we all very worried about him – he cannot cope with catching KC right, I cannot put him at any risk – and I cannot ensure Honey wont catch it – so its a tough one for me.  🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime