Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Kennel cough; worried, is this normal?

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Kennel cough; worried, is this normal?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Nakisha

Wodan… Rhodi heard you. 😉 He loves to act like a ”poor, sick dog” and get cuddles and nice soft foods… heehee.

He’s doing much better now. 🙂 Still coughing a little, but mostly in the morning or when he’s excited. The breathing is getting better and better.  😀 Hurray!!!
    I fed him the last meatburger I had left today and the smartass didn’t take the pill hidden inside  >:D (he FINALLY figured out I hid the eveningpills in his dinner… took him long enough, lol) and thus, we had to shove it down his troath again.  :whistle: >:D

But today was the last pill… so please root with me that he’ll be getting better and better from now on… Things are looking a lot better!!!  :ok:

Nakisha

Just a quicky update…

Last saturday was the last day of pills for Rhodi. But we found his coughing increasing now that he’s off meds; he’s OK now, but he has a slight wheeze again after all the coughing of course.
    The cough sounds a bit different; it’s a deeper cough, not the typical cough that’s known for KC.

Today, he often coughed a way softer cough that didn’t seem to come out of his toes like the others do.

Do you guys think I should call the vet to ask what to do? Or do you all say; let his immune system deal with it a little longer?

UPDATE: I called the vet after hearing Rhodi cough through the night for the third time. It’s simply not getting better… it even got worse again. He got new medicine for 10 days. He needs to improve by next monday. If not, we have to go on with the cure for 20 days.

kizkiznobite

has he had any booster vacs or worming treatment recently nakisha?

Nakisha

He had is vacs in june or july… no worm treatments.
    Please, share your thoughts…  🙂

He’s back to coughing a lot and wheezing a little; there’s a real stench coming out of his troath, I guess from the infection…

Diesel73

Stench can’t be good  :-\ …… that means it has not gotten better at all.

Oh Rhodi  ::) ……..This has lasted long enough. Time to heal now dude, time to heal  :-* .

Nakisha

Indeed Diesel. I really feel, after the first set of pills, we where just thrown back to the beginning.
    He coughs up green-brown slime every now and then, small amounts… same aweful smell.

He has a long way to go, but I’ll be on top of it. I’m pretty upset the vet didn’t tell me we could simply go on with the cure if it hadn’t gotten completely better… we wouldn’t have been back to this if I had known.  :-\ He has to go through it all over again now…

Diesel73

Arrgnooo  ::) … all over…… i hope it’s the last time  :-* .

kizkiznobite

i was wondering if his immune system had been compromised by any recent vacs…you said he had had it before and yes dogs can get it again after 6 to 12 months but the second attack is usually less severe as the immune system does retain some fight against it and it does seem that he isnt fighting it well…there is no cure for KC just as there is no cure for the common cold…the antibiotics are not for treating the viral KC …if anti biotics are prescribed it is generally to help prevent it turning to pneumonia but the problem is the more anti bi’s the more they wont work next time around…KC can be a combination of a viral and bacterial attack…..what can happen is an initial invasion of viral pathogens starts things off …thus making the bacteria attack easier…canine adenovirus and the bordetella then irritate the respiratory system….the bronchiseptica bacteria attach to the respiratory cilia which causes the problems in the respiratory system….the bacteria…being sneaky wee things… secrete a substance that decreases the natural immune response …thus they live longer

if he was mine i would be boosting his immune system and would also probably be giving a natural form of anti biotic…i use vit e and selenium as an immune boost and olive green leaf as a natural anti biotic..
    think i might also consider using nosodes too once he fully recovered…..

get well soon lado…you still causing mum lots of worry….

Nakisha

Ohhh thank you, this cleared so much up!! I like to know how this all exactly works…

I have a bit of a feeling that he has caught bronchitis… After the last KC (which was, as told, nothing but a few bad coughs and that was it), he got bronchitis afterwards as well….

It seems Rhodi is extremely sensitive when it comes to the respiratory system….

I agree… too many of those pills wouldn’t solve the problem. It’s such a dillema. On the other hand, I don’t dare to stop giving them at this point, after seeing what happend last time.  :-\

Vitamine E… Selenium,.. olive green leaf… nosodes… I’ll try to see what the last two are in Dutch. At this point, I’m really willing to give him anything…

Thanks so much once again!!  :-* You’re a lifesaver!

Val

Poor lad Dutch is olijf onnozel vleugel nosodes
    thought you were finnish just incase you are ..
    oliivinvärinen kokematon ikkunaluukku nosodes
    Think thats right Diesel will tell me if it’s not  ;D
    Hope he gets better soon
    Val

Diesel73

not quite  :-* , the words are ok, but not in this form  😉 .

Diane, groene olijfbladeren ken je wel, vitamine E en selenium kun je zo in pilletjes kopen bij bijvoorbeeld het kruidvat (net zo goed, wèl stukken goedkoper dan bij de apotheek), en nosodes… moeilijk uit te leggen … Er is een onderzoek geweest waarin de enting tegen meningococcen vergeleken werd met de nosodes tegen menigococcen. In Brazilië, onder duizenden mensen. Daar bleek de nosode even goed te werken als de enting en zelfs tegen meer soort menigococcen te beschermen als de enting. En geen bijwerkingen te hebben. Maar het fijne weet ik er niet meer van. Het wordt wel meer en meer bij homeopathie gebruikt.

Selenium is een goeie imuunbooster. Atleten nemen die meestal ookwant zelfs die kunnen er een serieus tekort van hebben.

Val

I understand what you mean now must get my old brain in gear  :agree:
    Thank goodness your English is good Diesel

Nakisha

Thanks everyone, you’re angels. 😀 I’ll go to my local Kruidvat right now.
    Diesel, thanks for the great translation… I was beginning to doubt myself, heehee… I never heard of Selenium or Nosodes before, learned something new!! 😀

Off to get those, hopefully it’ll help for a speedy recovery!!  :ok:

Nakisha

I found the Selenium (+zink, that’s the combination) and Vitamine E.
    Our Kruidvat didn’t have the rest.

Quicky question, though… how many pills a day should I give him?

He’s about 32+ kilo… the pills have

54 mg vitamine E per pil.
    200 µg selenium and 30 mg zink per pil.

I worry about overdosing… so I haven’t given anything just yet…

Val

Give him one tablet of each

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime