Shopping Cart
80% of profits donated to UK dog charities. Learn more >

Kennel Cough.

Home Archive Forums Dogs Health Kennel Cough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Is prevention better than cure? I saw a lady in the park today who keeps King Charles Spaniels & i haven’t seen her for ages, she said her dogs had been ill with Kennel Cough and there was an epidemic in parts of North London. That’s the first i’ve heard of it & Cass was due a vaccination a few months ago for it. I know it is highly contagious so Is it better to get her done as a prevention even if she doesn’t have it?

rona

My boy had kennel cough earlier in the year, the vets in the area knew it was about but none of the dog owners seemed to, so I started a local dog website while he couln’t go out much just for this sort of thing.
    You can’t vaccinate after the’ve got it but my vet had allready included it in his annual booster, not the type they have when going into kennels but against some kinds of influenza. there are so many types that Cass may still pick up a strain that she is not covered against.
    It’s a horrid thing, I had never had it in any of my other dogs, and I owned dogs for 35 years

Anonymous

Hi,

KC vaccination covers 20% of the least common causes of KC.

keep cass healthy and immune system good and she wont get it – its an illness of stressed out, immune compromised dogs – hence the name kennel cough because a place packed with stressed/immune compromised dogs it spreads like wildfire.

No vacc needed for Cass IMO

damn vets for shoving it in with boosters aswell – as if dogs arent stressed enough by vaccinations oooh *cross face* borders on irresponsible IMO.

Claire x

p.s. I have nursed through 2 dogs after my foster dog brought it with him from ireland – its more distressing for us than them 🙂 

ETA: highly contageous yes – so are colds but if you are healthy you dont catch them or shake them off – same for KC Mark 😀

Anonymous

Your girlie will be fine she’s fed the best diet to keep her immune system running well she has possible met up with it already
    Stop worrying even if she did get it  😮 it would be two coughs and fart  ;D
    Even with showing my dogs I have only had it once and that was with a rescue beardie and even she did not give it to my other five dogs
    besides the shots to not cover all strains
    Val

[quote author=Mark. link=topic=12715.msg245449#msg245449 date=1224168755]
    Is prevention better than cure? I saw a lady in the park today who keeps King Charles Spaniels & i haven’t seen her for ages, she said her dogs had been ill with Kennel Cough and there was an epidemic in parts of North London. That’s the first i’ve heard of it & Cass was due a vaccination a few months ago for it. I know it is highly contagious so Is it better to get her done as a prevention even if she doesn’t have it?
    [/quote]

Anonymous

So it’s a ‘No’ all round then really?  :nono:

The lady who told me about it has really old dogs anyway & the one that’s most ill is the oldest of the lot so it’s not like they are young & strong, i just wish she had told me BEFORE she let Cass get near enough to greet her dogs & play Squirrell Fishing up a chestnut tree..  :surprise:

Anonymous

happens with kids too mark … you’ll be letting your little ones all play and some mum will pipe up oh yeah we’ve just been to the docs little jonny has ringworm  :butt:

cav’s not the best immuni wise anyway 😀

claire x

xtine

is a mega pain in the butt having to keep them in tho  >:(

one of mine got it last year and my other one didnt catch even though they are together all the time. plus she was vaccinated, like everyone says it doesnt stop the dog getting KC just reduces the risk… a bit!

Izzy’s never had a KC vacc, complete waste of money IMO  🙂

Anonymous

None of mine have been vacc’d. Floyd had it a while ago; he picked it up from one of my customers who’d had it and neglected to tell me. I spoke to the vet on the phone who said it was rampant in our area and they should all be vacc’d. Hmmm. It was a nightmare, he was bored with staying in and I lost loads of business because I couldn’t have dogs to stay or come to daycare. My pup didn’t catch it though! 

Sweetypye

It very much depends on individual circumstances; like the flu jab it cannot protect against all strains and for very old, very young and immune compromised dogs it may be a good idea to immunise.

You CAN have the KC vaccine if the dog has been exposed to it as it may reduce the severity; there are a couple of types on the market discuss with your vet.

Some boarding kennels insist on it, others do not.

If you compete a lot it may pay to do it rather than miss a competition or a few ……..

Anonymous

hi,

my advice was based on Cass being primarily a pet dog (going to some companion shows but these are winding down for winter now) and well fed / healthy 🙂

claire x

MArk apparently is an outbreak down here too – my gromer friend rang to let me know shes had tons of dogs cancel with it – so far ive had none..touch wood.

and dont vacc honey – i did and she still caught it – shes mixed with dogs since who have had it – never caught it. The collie catches it regardless and is always poorly so personally dont see the point  🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

dogclub is a new kind of dog food business

We are a UK Government registered Community Interest Company
and donate 80% of profits to UK Dog charities

Join dogclub free and enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door

• Cancel or change your deliveries anytime
  • Save 10% on your first order
  • Save 10% on every recurring order
  • No membership fees – ever
  • Simply select “join dogclub” when you place your order

dogclub membership is free forever

• Enjoy easy repeat deliveries straight to your door
  • Cancel or change your deliveries anytime